10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

R2 has one exclusive piece,a flex tube. The next rarest piece is in 8 sets. I think it will be a pretty straightforward set to bricklink. I think a set with a lot of rare pieces that can be subbed would be more interesting. 

If your going to bricklink one anyways you should document it. If you find ways to save a substantial amount over a used set I would love to read about it. I just don't see it happening. 

3 minutes ago, marcandre said:

R2 has one exclusive piece,a flex tube. The next rarest piece is in 8 sets. I think it will be a pretty straightforward set to bricklink. I think a set with a lot of rare pieces that can be subbed would be more interesting. 

If your going to bricklink one anyways you should document it. If you find ways to save a substantial amount over a used set I would love to read about it. I just don't see it happening. 

I was just doing a preliminary cost analysis. Swapping the brown hoses for grey and the dark blue parts for light blue drops the price by about $25, I had to substitute one dark blue piece for a similar piece in regular blue. I haven't gone through everything. I'm going to be looking to see what I have on hand first to see how much it might cost for me to build one. I'd also like to put a little work into making a completely color shifted version. I'll have to see which color I have the most matching parts of.

3 hours ago, thoroakenfelder said:

@Poly 30286 was going to write about building a green grocer on a budget. As far as it goes, the R2-D2 while not expensive is still more than I really want to spend on a personal build.

Geez! I don't know if you lock your family in a closet to free up time to write, but mine are still always sucking my time away. My dad flew back home today, so I'll try and get it going. Soon. Patience is good

1 hour ago, Poly 30286 said:

Geez! I don't know if you lock your family in a closet to free up time to write, but mine are still always sucking my time away. My dad flew back home today, so I'll try and get it going. Soon. Patience is good

I don't sleep.

I figure if I keep poking at you about it, you'll eventually get so irritated at me that you'll write something to shut me up.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I'm seriously considering offloading half of mine this Xmas due to the risk of it being resurrected assuming that R2-D2 has a larger role in EP8. LEGO already has the box art, the licence and the capability so why not? Since the SSD crashed into the Death Star, I'll hang on to those for a while longer.

I'm seriously considering offloading half of mine this Xmas due to the risk of it being resurrected assuming that R2-D2 has a larger role in EP8. LEGO already has the box art, the licence and the capability so why not? Since the SSD crashed into the Death Star, I'll hang on to those for a while longer.

I'd seriously reconsider offloading your stock. There are so many UCS sets they could plum for and a remake so soon just wouldn't make sense.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Fingers-crossed that R1 bumps R2-D2 over the £300 threshold as I'd like to clear £100 after fees and P&P. But, will the market be flooded with them?

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, legomark3 said:

I only picked up 1 of these before retirement and might offload it in a few weeks when the Christmas rush is going. Anyone think it will have a big pop up next year or be around the same value as today?

All depends on supply.

If there are still legions of R2's waiting for action in storage spaces it will be a long wait.

• Like 1