387 members have voted

1. 1. ignore.

• ignore
    • Ignore
  2. 2. Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?

• Yes
    • No

31 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Maybe interest was not that high or the horde was gun shy after too many false alarms.  I think the set is awesome and special, many others might not have thought so.  There is something to be said for the shorter production run.  

And there was a big round ball also retiring soon at that time.

Some family friend's kids were over and wanted to check out my Lego display. The one 12 year old boy instantly recognized it as the 'batmobile'. I'm guessing he hasn't even seen the Nolan trilogy and still recognized it. Future looks great on this one :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, waddamon said:

Well I have 30 and I think in 2 or 3 years we might be tapping on 1000.00.  Batman is forever and the movies were stellar.

The movies were stellar... but not Batman Forever and definitely not Batman & Robin, but the other ones, sure. :)

You see, that´s my issue with Batman - the brand has been asset stripped due to all these different iterations in a very short period of time. I mean there have only been 2 James Bond actors in the same period and one significant reboot.

Fans of one saga dis the others so every Lego model will only be appealing to a fraction of the overall marketand there is no OT holy grail either. That´s why the Tumbler won´t do as well as Red 5 short medium or long term. I rest my case.

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

That´s why the Tumbler won´t do as well as Red 5 short medium or long term. I rest my case.

Red 5 is a remake, there are constant regular non UCS versions and it will eventually more than likely be remade itself. Tumbler's done, I don't ever see that being remade, that'll make a difference.

Short term in Europe the Tumbler shouldn't be doing anything because of oversupply from Smyths and Brexit increasing euro sales price for UK sellers.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

Red 5 is a remake, there are constant regular non UCS versions and it will eventually more than likely be remade itself. Tumbler's done, I don't ever see that being remade, that'll make a difference.

Short term in Europe the Tumbler shouldn't be doing anything because of oversupply from Smyths and Brexit increasing euro sales price for UK sellers.

Agree. And with the low GBP stock will hopefully deplete faster.

I expect prices will start to rise significantly at the start of 2017.

2 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

The point is that Red 5 is a remake of an iconic ship and the second most identifiable one from a saga of the most successful movie franchise ever.

The Tumbler is just another batmobile, of which there have  and will be many more - diluting its identity and popularity. Same with the Batcave.

Ask someone to draw a Batmobile and you could get 5 different ones, depending on who they think Batma is, but ask for Luke Skywalker´s fighter and everyone will draw the same thing.

Ok, there is only one Benny´s Spaceship but not many people will be able to remember it so the trick is to be popular and iconic in order for maximum demand.

Batman lego has done nothing special for years,  investment wise, so the Tumbler will easily be the best investment of the series but benchmark it against something like Red 5 and it won´t look as good an investment.

6 minutes ago, Val-E said:

The point is that Red 5 is a remake of an iconic ship and the second most identifiable one from a saga of the most successful movie franchise ever.

The Tumbler is just another batmobile, of which there have  and will be many more - diluting its identity and popularity. Same with the Batcave.

Ask someone to draw a Batmobile and you could get 5 different ones, depending on who they think Batma is, but ask for Luke Skywalker´s fighter and everyone will draw the same thing.

Ok, there is only one Benny´s Spaceship but not many people will be able to remember it so the trick is to be popular and iconic in order for maximum demand.

Batman lego has done nothing special for years,  investment wise, so the Tumbler will easily be the best investment of the series but benchmark it against something like Red 5 and it won´t look as good an investment.

The Tumbler isn't just another Batmobile though, it's the only batmobile from the Dark Knight trilogy, which are amongst the top grossing movies of all time (not that that's a barometer of quality) and the Dark Knight is recognised as a great movie, not just a great comic book movie.

The Tumbler is also really the only AFOL targeted Batman set, so it's hard to judge it based on the performance of the rest of the theme.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Val-E said:

I, like many others here, remember the Keaton Batman movies. The Batmobile in those movies was an Icon of its time, and I can only assume that this was the inspiration for the UCS Batmobile. The Tumbler IMO is a far more popular vehicle because it was in far more popular/mainstream movies. I would hazard a guess, and a few quid, that the Tumbler will perform well. The only thing i could see stalling this set would be the release of a UCS size set of the original Batman series Batmobile, but even at that, I think it would have minimal effect. I managed to pick up a number of these at a 27% discount, taking advantage of exchange rate/discounts etc so this set is far from a fail for me.

I will admit that I picked up a few R5s with the same kind of discount and feel like I´m splitting hairs arguing in favour of the tumbler, But I would have to agree with Sprocket, 2 or 3 years is going to be my maximum hold for R5 as "THE FEAR" of a remake kicks in. Tumbler will never get a rehash, that joker minifig may never be seen again.

The only down side to both sets is the lack of a Helicopter...

Edited by CrabslayerT
Grammar
  • Like 2

I still trying to figure out the comparison posts between 10240 XWing and 76023 Batman Tumbler.  Other than sharing the $199.99 price tag and 12.9% of Lego elements, these are 2 very different sets.  One is a a direct refresh, the other kinda isn't (7888). One contains popular minifigs while the other doesn't. One is mainly white while the other is mainly black, etc...  Hmmm.

image.gif

• Like 4

Well, you've either got some Tumblers or some R5s, or some of both. The market for each is pretty much independent of the either so you either chose wisely, or not, now or in the future you will get to choose to be filled with regret, or not....

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, jaisonline said:

I still trying to figure out the comparison posts between 10240 XWing and 76023 Batman Tumbler.  Other than sharing the $199.99 price tag and 12.9% of Lego elements, these are 2 very different sets.  One is a a direct refresh, the other kinda isn't (7888). One contains popular minifigs while the other doesn't. One is mainly white while the other is mainly black, etc...  Hmmm.

Perhaps a comparison with the black, never to be remade ToO would be more to your liking? Holy stagnating values, Batman!

18 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Perhaps a comparison with the black, never to be remade ToO would be more to your liking? Holy stagnating values, Batman!

Yes, that's also a possible comparison.

Tumbler RRP in NL: €220, current asking price for NISB on Marktplaats: ~ €300 - €325

ToO RRP in NL: €230, current asking price for NISB on Marktplaats: ~ €290 - €300

On 7/2/2016 at 2:03 PM, Ed Mack said:

Speaking of slow selling, you have to wonder why The Tumbler lasted only two years when other major exclusives last longer than that.  Slow seller?  Too costly?  With the current market conditions, The Tumbler will be the IT set that everyone wish they had more of.

As Ed and others have pointed out, the short availability of this exclusive under 24 months precludes the massive hoarding that comes with 3-4 year production seen with other exclusives.  Tumbler was an in demand set and out of stock at most retailers for the first 20% of its life span.  despite the broadcasting of its imminent retirement and the massive apparent hoarding on this site, the demand for the set is still strong.  9 sold in the last 7 days on ebay.  price increases for a set with a relatively limited production run like this are nonlinear.  2018 will be the year for  Tumbler price appreciation fueled by a wave of Millennial nostalgia as we hit the 10 year anniversary of Heath Ledger's untimely death and the release of  Dark Knight.  2018 I'll be meeting up with the next generation of bearded flannel hipster with cash falling out of his corduroy meeting up with meet at Starbucks to get the UCS set from his favorite movie when he was 12.

comparing the Tumbler or anything to Star Wars is just not fair.  There is Star Wars and then there is everything else.  I'm not saying Tumbler won't do better than a Red 5 but its an apples and oranges comparison.  

Tumbler will do better than other comparable exclusives because it benefits from a media cultural anniversary time cycle and had a relatively short production run coupled with a well advertised retirement ensuring that a disproportionate number of sets were snapped up by "investors" in it for the 6 months it takes to squeeze out $20 profit.  as more and more stock is sold off, patience will be rewarded.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Val-E said:

Val-E, in a couple of years you'll be like...

Disappointed-Dog-Face-08.jpg

• Like 1

Why so difficult? 

Just simply compare it with the 7784 UCS Batmobile. That one is 4 x RRP now.

That is what I did earlier in this thread. I know times were diff in the late 2000s but even if 76023 performed 1/2 as good as 7784, most folks will be happy.

I did think going rate was more than 4x MSRP... Have to recheck.

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:14 AM, jaisonline said:

I believe the comparison was based on the fact that both could've been had at the same time. If funds were limited, this would have come into play. More of one purchased over the other. I could be completely wrong but this is my guess as I don't see anything similar as well...