Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Polar Beast, your idea reminds me of how it is set up at Bricker and I do like that little feature as well. I do not know exactly how things will go but there will be a massive update to the site itself in a few weeks time I think. I am not sure because that is Jeff's field and I am just hired help. :roll:

Polar_Beast's post gave me an idea. If possible, could there be a way to look through the BrickPicker charts for different months in the past, besides the last 12 months. I would give a better understanding on the movement in value of different sets. I know you guys are busy, so take your time! ;)

Let me relate it to sports. I am a huge baseball fan. When the stats come out for batting average, do they account for a position one plays? No. I mean, catching in baseball is very difficult and wears your body down, shouldn't the catchers get some extra consideration? No. The sportscasters will say you are a .300 hitter, whether you have 100 or 500 at bats. It doesn't matter what position you play or money you make or your physical makeup. You are what you hit. Same thing in LEGO sets. You rank where you rank.

Which just increases my love of Yadier Molina. Turns out Pujols wasn't the core of our team, it was Yadi and he got the big contract. Called two shutouts over the weekend...Miller and Wainright.

I gotta give you guys credit. You work very hard on this site. It's hard to believe you have full time jobs too. I don't post much,but I do enjoy the site.

Thanks...I think we work at the site as much as our full time jobs...About 60 hours a week each. Luckily, we can work on the site at "real" work some of the time. Fringe benefits as they say.

Hello all. Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before, but I just found this thread and I can't read through all 32 pages lol!

Anyways, I was wondering if it was possible to have "forward and back" buttons in terms of set numbers in the Price Guide... For example, if you're looking at set #75001 for instance, that there would be a small area (maybe next to the name of the set) that shows the set number you're on, as well as the preceding and following set numbers.

I've attached a mock up picture which demonstrates it much more clearly than my fumbling words. I don't know much about website administration, but I think I would be fairly easy to implement. I have used another site (Brickipedia.com) which uses this and I found it to be incredibly useful.

Thanks for a great site, you guys rock!!!

-PB

Sounds like a good idea. There is still a lot of improvement to be made in easing navigation, especially in the Brickfolio. I like the idea of related sets on the Price/Set Guide page.

I'd just like to chime in on the theme average CAGR discussion.

Both the straight average and the "weighted" average have their uses. I'd like to see both, but it could be confusing for some members or not fit the structure of the website that well, so I really don't mind having just the average.

Here's that discussion on it we've already had: http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1540/

Also on the topic of theme CAGR, another thing to consider when trying to compare themes is that those themes with sets still available at retail almost always have a negative CAGR on those sets, which drags the average down. So when you compare it to a retired theme it looks worse. Even comparing two current themes is hard as they will have a different ratio of retired vs EOL sets. This is probably why Star Wars looks lower than you would intuitively think. I'm currently in the early stages of putting together a possible EC article that examines the "true" investment return rate of the Star Wars theme.

Yes, there is a use for it and it could be an option in the future. I think many of you will enjoy the new Price/Set guide page. There are some hidden gems in there for you stats and numbers geeks. :coolsmile:

Good to be back Orcking. I went trough BP withdrawal for 3 months..... its the worst torture out there!!!!!

But you did find your way to my site which is really nice! Top commenter....

I am on a similar ban, and can only come on select times such as right now. It isn't as long, only until after my Geometry final exam, which will give you an idea of why I can't be on as often. :(

But you did find your way to my site which is really nice! Top commenter....

I am on a similar ban, and can only come on select times such as right now. It isn't as long, only until after my Geometry final exam, which will give you an idea of why I can't be on as often. :(

On that note, good luck with your Geometry exam, Comicblast!

And I do pop by your site every once in a while. I didn't know of that 95,000 piece Lego sculpture of a polar bear. I did wonder if they 'retire' models built for their parks and perhaps sold them. You gotta admit, they are fantastic conversation designs and it would be something having one sitting in your living room.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible in our forum profiles to have an otion to state like an, "investing since *insert date here* ".  I think it would be handy information so that when people read one anothers posts that allowances can be made for people that post comments and are new to the game and to give more credit for people with years of experience and the believability of their comments.  My prime example would be member Emazers.  He has lots of experience and when people read his comments that may be new to the forums they will understand what kind of background he is coming from.

Is it possible in our forum profiles to have an otion to state like an, "investing since *insert date here* ".  I think it would be handy information so that when people read one anothers posts that allowances can be made for people that post comments and are new to the game and to give more credit for people with years of experience and the believability of their comments.  My prime example would be member Emazers.  He has lots of experience and when people read his comments that may be new to the forums they will understand what kind of background he is coming from.

I love this idea! 

The log-in thing is a bug, Jeff says it'll be fixed soon :)

The new set guide page is really sweet, Ed. Medians, means, and modes, oh my! And the reviews are right there, very cool. Well done. Now if only you could persuade ebay sellers to stop listing partial sets as new :)

• Like 1

I apologize if posted elsewhere - Firefox is not keeping my active logon, neither from email links or from my Bookmark.  This is on two different laptops, I tried deleting history.  It always loads the forum without me logged in and I have to re-log in.

Jeff has been away for a couple of days and will address this and other forum and new blog features later in the week.