Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

Yeah, I'm with these guys. This is a feature that I liked, mostly for people to be accountable if anything. Anonymous likes and dislikes is something I expect from Facebook. We're all adults here, if not in age then in maturity (most of the time), so I think it's safe to let everyone know what you've agreed/disagreed with.

I agree, but to be honest, after a while I don't think I'll miss it. Really I only brought it up because I thought me and Blackjack were alone in the boat, and he's always in trouble :) lol. Anyway.

Macks, I know it's weird having all of us point out all these glitches and changes, and we're all up in your grille about every little thing. But don't sweat it, it's just such a great forum that a lot of us take it personally, myself included. In two months, when everything is smooth and straight, nobody's gonna remember any of this nonsense. Peace.

As we are talking little niggles :) I clicked on Diabolos80's last post link on the main page. Normally this would take you to the last post on a thread.

But it took me to post 501 rather than post 551. This seems to happen intermittently with the new forums. You aim for the last post and hit somewhere randomly near the end but not at the end. Anyone else noticed this? 

As we are talking little niggles :) I clicked on Diabolos80's last post link on the main page. Normally this would take you to the last post on a thread.

But it took me to post 501 rather than post 551. This seems to happen intermittently with the new forums. You aim for the last post and hit somewhere randomly near the end but not at the end. Anyone else noticed this? 

The way how the forums are now when you click on that, it takes you to the first unread post since you're last visit on that topic. I think it's just a way to allow you to read everything you missed up to that point.

Happens ALL THE TIME.

Yeah, I'm with these guys. This is a feature that I liked, mostly for people to be accountable if anything. Anonymous likes and dislikes is something I expect from Facebook. We're all adults here, if not in age then in maturity (most of the time), so I think it's safe to let everyone know what you've agreed/disagreed with.

I liked your post.  :thumbsup:

Also, why are givers of reputation points now unknown?  Was there some problem with that?

It is a situation with the Brickpoints that the system can be abused if not monitored correctly and by keeping the ratings private, there won't be personal issues.  Mods and Admins have access to the data.  If you have a questions, let us know.   

• Like 1

I think we should get rid of the reputation stuff. Between that and public/private messages telling me I was shady and should be ashamed of my business practices---really got me mad. We all know who contributes worth information...not sure why we need a bandwagon.

Also. I shut off all notifications...but still get hundreds of them...is there something I am missing?

I think we should get rid of the reputation stuff. Between that and public/private messages telling me I was shady and should be ashamed of my business practices---really got me mad. We all know who contributes worth information...not sure why we need a bandwagon.

Also. I shut off all notifications...but still get hundreds of them...is there something I am missing?

I see that you still have plenty of notifications turned on to receive emails?

http://www.screencast.com/t/inMTUjKQLGW

Jeff, I mentioned this earlier and I've fixed mine, but I think there was a glitch or something where my notifications turned on without my influence. After I turned them off, I had to go through and maunually unfollow all the affected posts. Willy, you'll probably have to do the same thing. If you go to the new content page, scroll down on the left until you see the thread filter options, select "just content I follow," then unfollow each thread one by one. Hope that helps.

I think reputation points are valuable. Sure, most of us know who contributes on the site, but for someone who is new and does not know who is who then reputation gives them an idea. Also, someone who does not contribute a lot can make a couple of really valuable posts and in my opinion should be recognized for it.

I don't think you should worry too much, I think what happened with you that particular day was an exception, not a constant. You apologized and I appreciate that, anyone can have a bad day, but you have to live with the consequences ( in this case, a hit to your site reputation points that it really is not something to get too worried about). Before AND after that you have made some great posts that people have recognized by giving you positive rep. Just keep expressing your opinions, even those that are different to most, and as long as you do it respectfully you will never have to worry about your reputation again.

• Like 2

Quick note: when I go to the awards page and click on one to see who has received it, nothing happens.

Also, when can I expect my Most Handsome Award? Maybe you're having second thoughts since Stephen_Rockefeller changed his avatar. Ha!

Clicking on them doesn't do anything. You just move the mouse over one, highlight it, wait a couple of seconds, and a little window with a list pops up showing everyone that earned that one. At least for me it does. (Your experience may vary.)

Clicking on them doesn't do anything. You just move the mouse over one, highlight it, wait a couple of seconds, and a little window with a list pops up showing everyone that earned that one. At least for me it does. (Your experience may vary.)

Sometimes when I highlight the award that has been given once, it says 'no award given'.  Just something to throw on the list.

Alos another question.

I cannot seem to manage to put my Brickfolio data (like before) into signature...

i allowed brickfolio data and all and its not showing in signature...

I think the button (show brickfolio stats in sig'' is gone ? :P

The checkbox to put in automatically is gone, but the code is there to copy and paste it into your signature

Sometimes when I highlight the award that has been given once, it says 'no award given'.  Just something to throw on the list.

I've noticied it is only Spammer and The Postman awards saying one was given yet when highlighted it shows 'no award given' like you said. I thought it was just part of the forum transition in the first place but they're still there now so I'm guessing it was just a test perhaps?

The checkbox to put in automatically is gone, but the code is there to copy and paste it into your signature

Wait, that's what we do now? Oh bugger, way to make me feel stupid. Course that doesn't take much, Ha. :lol:

I've noticied it is only Spammer and The Postman awards saying one was given yet when highlighted it shows 'no award given' like you said. I thought it was just part of the forum transition in the first place but they're still there now so I'm guessing it was just a test perhaps?

If look at the date they were awarded it is May 7th. The new forum wasn't even up than so no one currently has that award. Probably a test.

the ipad knows not this "highlight" you speak of. Thwarted again! No biggie :)

It doesn't work on my iPad either, but as you said it really isn't that big of a deal. :)

I think reputation points are valuable. Sure, most of us know who contributes on the site, but for someone who is new and does not know who is who then reputation gives them an idea. Also, someone who does not contribute a lot can make a couple of really valuable posts and in my opinion should be recognized for it.

I don't think you should worry too much, I think what happened with you that particular day was an exception, not a constant. You apologized and I appreciate that, anyone can have a bad day, but you have to live with the consequences ( in this case, a hit to your site reputation points that it really is not something to get too worried about). Before AND after that you have made some great posts that people have recognized by giving you positive rep. Just keep expressing your opinions, even those that are different to most, and as long as you do it respectfully you will never have to worry about your reputation again.

The reputation is going to work hand in hand with the Brick Classifieds and will be an important feature, especially at the start when there are limited sales to get feedback from.  I think most people are fair with feedback and if it is getting abused, notify Jeff, the mods or me.  The reputation also ties into the Brickpoints.  There will be so many subtle ways to make Brickpoints and this will enable people to earn all sorts of things.