Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

I have just found that there are only about 100 users who are active on the forums daily, and that it didn't seem to work with the numbers of new users coming in weekly. Why wouldn't you want to be on the forums!?!?! :D

Where did you even get this number from anyhow? I want people to use the site the way they want to. My point is, everyone doesn't care to post in forums. End of discussion.

I am really curious why is there not visible statistics of ALL registered members count... I mean there are so many less important statistics up there :)

I am not sure why it really matters. Maybe one day when we hit a milestone, we will. Brickset just showed their member count this past year and that site has been around for 15 years.

I am not sure why it really matters. Maybe one day when we hit a milestone, we will. Brickset just showed their member count this past year and that site has been around for 15 years.

It does not, but none of the statistics really matter and some are up there... I just think if you did to show last 7 days registered, which is far less ''important'' than how many people signed to see forums for members only, we could have such total count visible.

It does not, but none of the statistics really matter and some are up there... I just think if you did to show last 7 days registered, which is far less ''important'' than how many people signed to see forums for members only, we could have such total count visible.

Alcarin, that is your opinion. Ed and I decide what stats are important to us and what to post. We have our reasons for that and it may just come off totally one day. There will be a lot of changes on here soon, so I wouldn't worry too much about that stat or any stat for that matter.

Alcarin, that is your opinion. Ed and I decide what stats are important to us and what to post. We have our reasons for that and it may just come off totally one day. There will be a lot of changes on here soon, so I wouldn't worry too much about that stat or any stat for that matter.

Sure you are right ;), the fake value of portfolios matters more than raw data of registered users.

I will gladly await changes.

Want to say I cannot wait for this new thing you focused for this site. This is my favorite site to be and is the 3rd site to be open right after gmail and ebay... rarely any site was so much fun and so useful to participate at.

I have just found that there are only about 100 users who are active on the forums daily, and that it didn't seem to work with the numbers of new users coming in weekly. Why wouldn't you want to be on the forums!?!?! :D

I'll give you a few reasons why there are not more people posting:

1. Idiotic threads that have nothing to do with LEGO or LEGO investing. A couple of threads here or there about off topic stuff is fine, but people are coming here to talk about LEGO sets and making money, which is serious stuff and don't always need to be entertained.

2. Rude and ignorant behavior towards other members, especially women, on the forums

3. Spam posts just to obtain Brickpoints, offering little in the way of insight or information on LEGO sets or investment

There are intelligent people reading these forums everyday. They pop up once in awhile to chime in. But until the overall thread and conversation quality improves, you won't have a super active forum.

This isn't exactly important, but I've often found myself wanting to .. 1) Go to the last post of the "most recent threads" (or the popular topics like "What set did you buy today." 2) See a couple more pages of these sections. Just another idea for your list that I'm sure is full up. :)

1. Idiotic threads that have nothing to do with LEGO or LEGO investing. A couple of threads here or there about off topic stuff is fine, but people are coming here to talk about LEGO sets and making money, which is serious stuff and don't always need to be entertained.

2. Rude and ignorant behavior towards other members, especially women, on the forums

3. Spam posts just to obtain Brickpoints, offering little in the way of insight or information on LEGO sets or investment

There are intelligent people reading these forums everyday. They pop up once in awhile to chime in. But until the overall thread and conversation quality improves, you won't have a super active forum.

1. I think you made perfectly clear there is only 1 sub-forum to write offtopic really. If people do not hold onto that maybe it is time to remind them (including me but I try not to derail off-topic)

2. Now I have to be honest and I read alot of BP forums and am yet to read some ignorant let alone rude behaviour towards a female member... I think whoever is rude to other member as calling him names or sexist should infact be removed from the site.

3. give mods option to remove such post and I am sure they will(maybe you already did do that)... but I guess you have to manually deduct points, not sure why anyone would spam to obtain 2 BP points really, when he can give thousand of reviews which are far more valuable and useful to the community.

So far whenever someone asked me about LEGO i sent them here, since i think BP offers majority of what is needed to give a good idea of LEGO market let it be investing or buying. I think both you and Jeff did great job.

PS: How does the new feature progress? I am really curious what will it be!

Off writing reviews.

I'm curious...What stats would you like to see?

hmmmm good question lets see:

1. Total registered member count

2. Total Portfolios/Brickfolios created (also there)

3. Total approved LEGO set reviews (thats great info and already there)

4. Site visitors count by country. (you know similar to how some stores on Bricklink have it. Example on Bricklink here

5. Total value of portfolios

now number 5 is awesome statistics to have if it would be actually correct or atleast very close to correct amount. But I assume many use it to follow their sets and extra sets they do not have but do not want to search everytime, like I do... I only have sets in my Brickfolio that are in my home or on its way, nothing else, or maybe I add some set and remove it soon after.

Maybe total value of Brickfolios would end up more correct if we could add 2 types of sets to Brickfolio and have separate lines for sets we own and sets we want to watch... or something in that.

Its not like it is important to have any of the statistics really... It was just a thought I happened to observe when I joined earlier.... and said ''hmmm why is there no total member count'' so I asked.

In the end those stats are useless overall, except for giving us all a better image of people who search alot for LEGO investing and also find this page.

1. I think you made perfectly clear there is only 1 sub-forum to write offtopic really. If people do not hold onto that maybe it is time to remind them (including me but I try not to derail off-topic)

2. Now I have to be honest and I read alot of BP forums and am yet to read some ignorant let alone rude behaviour towards a female member... I think whoever is rude to other member as calling him names or sexist should infact be removed from the site.

3. give mods option to remove such post and I am sure they will(maybe you already did do that)... but I guess you have to manually deduct points, not sure why anyone would spam to obtain 2 BP points really, when he can give thousand of reviews which are far more valuable and useful to the community.

So far whenever someone asked me about LEGO i sent them here, since i think BP offers majority of what is needed to give a good idea of LEGO market let it be investing or buying. I think both you and Jeff did great job.

PS: How does the new feature progress? I am really curious what will it be!

Off writing reviews.

My points were directed at a few individuals. Quality posts and threads will bring more quality members into the forums. I have seen enough intelligent members post a great response, only to see them disappear again. I am all about having a good time and laughs on any forum, but when the content is weak, why would anyone want to waste their time and respond to silly threads?

I've been curious of how many of the "new in the last 7 day members" created a brickfolio. Not necessarily the value because I know when I created mine, I didn't add everything at once. Something like "250 of those new users added an item to their brickfolio" or "250 of those new users created a brickfolio."

-> Shows how many might be "lurkers" for now.

As for the "Total current value of member Brickfolios: $ 11,022,178.07" it would be neat to see how the value changed from last month like your own brickfolio ... "Value increased +$198,399.20 (1.8%) in the last month."

-> Allows you to compare your own brickfolio to the site average

Same thing for "Total number of LEGO Pieces in the member Brickfolios: 75,914,861" ... "45,000 pieces added in the last month."

-> This one is just pure curiosity. The size of your set isn't the only thing that counts. ;)

This isn't exactly important, but I've often found myself wanting to ..

1) Go to the last post of the "most recent threads" (or the popular topics like "What set did you buy today."

2) See a couple more pages of these sections.

Just another idea for your list that I'm sure is full up. :)

Yes, point taken and this will be addressed at some future update. There will be more forum options added at some point.

4. Site visitors count by country. (you know similar to how some stores on Bricklink have it. Example on Bricklink here

now number 5 is awesome statistics to have if it would be actually correct or atleast very close to correct amount. But I assume many use it to follow their sets and extra sets they do not have but do not want to search everytime, like I do... I only have sets in my Brickfolio that are in my home or on its way, nothing else, or maybe I add some set and remove it soon after.

Maybe total value of Brickfolios would end up more correct if we could add 2 types of sets to Brickfolio and have separate lines for sets we own and sets we want to watch... or something in that.

Its not like it is important to have any of the statistics really... It was just a thought I happened to observe when I joined earlier.... and said ''hmmm why is there no total member count'' so I asked.

In the end those stats are useless overall, except for giving us all a better image of people who search alot for LEGO investing and also find this page.

This kind of information is really useless to any investor. All of this data will not enable you to be a better and smarter LEGO investor and has no bearing on more important issues. I have spent the better part of 5 or 6 years on the Brickset site and I have looked at their site data maybe one time. Does it really matter if they have 50,000 members or 55,000 members? No. It has no influence on the LEGO investments I make.

There is data that could help an investor make investment choices, like what are the most widely held sets in member's Brickfoilios, but I consider that 'premium data' and could be released at some point. The fact is, some information is just none of your business. Sorry.

I'm curious...What stats would you like to see? I've been curious of how many of the "new in the last 7 day members" created a brickfolio. Not necessarily the value because I know when I created mine, I didn't add everything at once. Something like "250 of those new users added an item to their brickfolio" or "250 of those new users created a brickfolio."

-> Shows how many might be "lurkers" for now.

As for the "Total current value of member Brickfolios: $ 11,022,178.07" it would be neat to see how the value changed from last month like your own brickfolio ... "Value increased +$198,399.20 (1.8%) in the last month."

-> Allows you to compare your own brickfolio to the site average

Same thing for "Total number of LEGO Pieces in the member Brickfolios: 75,914,861" ... "45,000 pieces added in the last month."

-> This one is just pure curiosity. The size of your set isn't the only thing that counts. ;)

I like that idea very much. This is something I can see implementing in the future. We would have your personal Brickfoilio stats and compare it to other members as a whole. The only problem I see with that is some people making up BS accounts and filling them with Friends, Ninajago and Monster Fighter sets to be number 1.

I agree with you 100%. To tell you the truth, I'm about ready to give up on these forums. The site seems to have a 'ignore user' feature, but it seemingly doesn't work. I have a large list of users I would love to ignore and never read a post from again, but can't. If that was working, I would see vastly fewer posts, but the ones that I did see would likely be quality posts.

Other major lego sites put age restrictions anywhere from 16-18 on their forums, for good reason. Have you thought about doing that? If that were the case here, my ignore list would be much smaller. Sorry, but I have no desire to read and sift through a million posts from 13 year olds, let alone read investing advice from any of them.

Ed, Another possible improvement to the BrickPoint incentive would be to give a number of BPs to the author of a thread based upon the number of posts a thread receives. For example, if someone starts a thread that gets 30 posts, presumably the thread is more valid than a thread that receives two posts, so the author of the OP would received 1 (or 1/2 depending on how many you want to award) of a BP for each post. If you instituted a "like/unlike" system for posts, you could award a point for each like, or even subtract one for each unlike. If you were concerned with this giving out too many BPs, you could have a minimum threshold of posts each thread would have to meet before the author received BPs. Just a thought to give more people an incentive to write more popular threads. Tim

This kind of information is really useless to any investor. All of this data will not enable you to be a better and smarter LEGO investor and has no bearing on more important issues. I have spent the better part of 5 or 6 years on the Brickset site and I have looked at their site data maybe one time. Does it really matter if they have 50,000 members or 55,000 members? No. It has no influence on the LEGO investments I make.

There is data that could help an investor make investment choices, like what are the most widely held sets in member's Brickfoilios, but I consider that 'premium data' and could be released at some point. The fact is, some information is just none of your business. Sorry.

useless? haha it is very useful knowing how many members are on this page, since it tells me how many potential eyes see the discussion on the forum and how many competition is there possible to be., while we have a view count on each individual thread that does not tell the whole story.

You are right it does not matter if it is 55.000 or 50.000 members, but it does matter if I think it is 10.000 members while in truth it is 50 or 55.000 members doesnt it? Maybe not to you but to me it does.

The matter of fact is that all statistics currently shown are useless, and only you and Jeff see the useful data :), Question is if that data is more of your business than mine, sorry.

For some time now i am feeling a stance of anti-Alcarin in any post you reply to me, which is fine, if you want me to stop posting I will, I believe in active participation, since I guess the more of us actively giving ideas, the better this site can become. But if for every idea I will either get that it is useless or none of my business, then so be it.

Just for information, if someone posts an idea or improvement idea, that means it would usually be useful to him, or maybe even someone else.

Now i expect you will say I do not need to post/come here if I feel that way, which is also fine, but if so give me an option to remove all what I have given through reviews and being able to close and remove all my threads/posts, even if everything I wrote is worthless or useless or rude or *insert what you wish* but atleast that was/is my business.

I agree with you 100%. To tell you the truth, I'm about ready to give up on these forums. The site seems to have a 'ignore user' feature, but it seemingly doesn't work. I have a large list of users I would love to ignore and never read a post from again, but can't. If that was working, I would see vastly fewer posts, but the ones that I did see would likely be quality posts.

Other major lego sites put age restrictions anywhere from 16-18 on their forums, for good reason. Have you thought about doing that? If that were the case here, my ignore list would be much smaller. Sorry, but I have no desire to read and sift through a million posts from 13 year olds, let alone read investing advice from any of them.

While the forums are in part a creation of Jeff's, it is basically a template we subscribe to save time and put resources into other parts of the site. There is supposed to be a newer version being released soon, so we will wait to see what they come up with before we try to make any major changes. We would like to add some features.

As for the members and content, I certainly don't mind a mix of ages and genders, I just would like to attract members that have experience in investing in general. I would like to learn from them and utilize the info on the site. We already have quite a few accountants and stock managers helping out, but I would like to see more.

useless? haha it is very useful knowing how many members are on this page, since it tells me how many potential eyes see the discussion on the forum and how many competition is there possible to be., while we have a view count on each individual thread that does not tell the whole story.

You are right it does not matter if it is 55.000 or 50.000 members, but it does matter if I think it is 10.000 members while in truth it is 50 or 55.000 members doesnt it? Maybe not to you but to me it does.

The matter of fact is that all statistics currently shown are useless, and only you and Jeff see the useful data :), Question is if that data is more of your business than mine, sorry.

For some time now i am feeling a stance of anti-Alcarin in any post you reply to me, which is fine, if you want me to stop posting I will, I believe in active participation, since I guess the more of us actively giving ideas, the better this site can become. But if for every idea I will either get that it is useless or none of my business, then so be it.

Just for information, if someone posts an idea or improvement idea, that means it would usually be useful to him, or maybe even someone else.

Now i expect you will say I do not need to post/come here if I feel that way, which is also fine, but if so give me an option to remove all what I have given through reviews and being able to close and remove all my threads/posts, even if everything I wrote is worthless or useless or rude or *insert what you wish* but atleast that was/is my business.

Alcarin, I personally think you are a very good poster. I don't want you to leave at all. The one thing I think you are misunderstanding is that Ed and I are running this business and we do have our own business plan. The site is only 1 1/2 years old. It's still in it's infancy. Bricklink and Brickset have been around for 10-15 years. We have a lot of stuff on our wishlist to build and release. Its a matter of time and timing. We have idea on what information we release, when, why. Its nothing against hiding it. But I have been in this web game for 15 years and have been part of many start ups. I just know there are certain ways I personally like to do things.

Ed and I get questions about what our business is doing all the time and its not about business related opportunities (for example someone wanting to advertise). How much traffic? How many members? How much do you guys make? We really can't believe people care or need to ask that type of stuff and that's what Ed was getting at more than just directly to you.

As far as ideas posted here, we take them all in. I have my notes. I look at things to see how fast something can be added and what the impact might be. But it doesn't mean I can just jump into and make it live within 24hrs. I am busy with the new feature that has sucked the life out of me for bit. Don't forget, and Ed has mentioned it many times before, we both have full lives outside of this site. I have my full time job that I am programming in all day, Ed runs his business. Then family stuff, etc. So please just be patient. We know you like the site. We know you have passion for it. Just go with the flow. No one is anti-anyone here. Ed and I and many others are all here to learn. But no matter what, there will always be different personalities. Just have fun, use the information and make money.

The "anti-Alcarin" remarks stemmed from you being a little rough on the female LEGO investors out there. Also, there seems to be a language barrier in play here. You take some statements out of context, which is completely understandable. I have many friends from foreign lands and written words don't translate as well as I would like them to at times. That being said, I have no issues with members coming up with differing opinions on the site and my comments. I actually appreciate constructive criticism. I appreciate your efforts with the reviews as I told you a while back in a PM.

But there are a few things you really need to understand. Our data we supply people is expensive. The site itself is an expensive site to produce and run and with more members, come more expenses. There are tons of ideas we will implement in the future, but we cannot give every person the exact information they require. We just don't have the resources or time to do so. We have to cater to the masses and make decisions based on that.

Jeff and I have day jobs and families and time is precious and lacking. We do not charge for any data on this site, yet people get information that they cannot find anywhere else for FREE. People use this information to make money, yet we receive none from members. Some of the data you ask for is valuable data and there is a point at which data will be free and other data will be considered premium. We don't know how we will differentiate between the two yet, but a day will come when there will be premium data available, and some more specific and personal data will become available to members. First things first. We have plenty on our plate right now.

So feel free to continue to post and use the site. There is no bad intentions or anti-anything from me. I would like more people to share their ideas. They will not always be met with positive results though. Sorry. Some info is just for Jeff and my eyes only. As for the site membership itself, let me put it to this way, the site is in the top 0.02% of world wide websites in activity, so it's pretty busy and there are a lot of members. Enjoy the site and have a nice day.

Ed,

Another possible improvement to the BrickPoint incentive would be to give a number of BPs to the author of a thread based upon the number of posts a thread receives. For example, if someone starts a thread that gets 30 posts, presumably the thread is more valid than a thread that receives two posts, so the author of the OP would received 1 (or 1/2 depending on how many you want to award) of a BP for each post. If you instituted a "like/unlike" system for posts, you could award a point for each like, or even subtract one for each unlike. If you were concerned with this giving out too many BPs, you could have a minimum threshold of posts each thread would have to meet before the author received BPs.

Just a thought to give more people an incentive to write more popular threads.

Tim

I like your idea, but the forums in their current state don't have that sort of capability to track that kind of action. We are hoping with the new updates from the forum template developer, more options will become available.

Ed,

Another possible improvement to the BrickPoint incentive would be to give a number of BPs to the author of a thread based upon the number of posts a thread receives. For example, if someone starts a thread that gets 30 posts, presumably the thread is more valid than a thread that receives two posts, so the author of the OP would received 1 (or 1/2 depending on how many you want to award) of a BP for each post. If you instituted a "like/unlike" system for posts, you could award a point for each like, or even subtract one for each unlike. If you were concerned with this giving out too many BPs, you could have a minimum threshold of posts each thread would have to meet before the author received BPs.

Just a thought to give more people an incentive to write more popular threads.

Tim

That would be a good incentive, but someone could just keep posting on their own thread for Brickpoints. :(

That would be a good incentive, but someone could just keep posting on their own thread for Brickpoints. :(

Yes, it seems like we are having problems with "spam posters" here at BrickPicker with people trying to wrack up on BrickPoints. If anyone thinks I am spamming, please tell me through PM'ing or something, because that is not my intention.