Site Improvements & General FAQs

Ed Mack

As Jeff stated earlier, this site is a work in progress and there are many different things we would like to change or improve. especially on the Brickfolio end. The site has come a long way in a little over a year and many people have no real clue of how much work it is to change even the smallest thing. If you put things in perspective, Brickset.com, the top of the LEGO foodchain of websites, has been around for 10 years. They have had plenty of time to modify and perfect their site and navigation and interface issues have been tweaked many times over the years. I can only imagine what this site could become in 10 years if things go the way we plan.

Please excuse my French, but what I do know is Jeff is busting his ass on the site and the data and information we give people is for free. He has been working very hard on a new feature we will be releasing shortly and I hope people will find it useful and both a money saver and a money maker.

True dat. BrickPicker makes like a donut hole of money (that is exactly $0.00!) We are all extremely grateful that Jeff has been trying his best to make Brick Picker a better place. BTW is BrickPicker spelled like that or Brick Picker or Brickpicker or Brick-Picker? I never know...

As Jeff stated earlier, this site is a work in progress and there are many different things we would like to change or improve. especially on the Brickfolio end. The site has come a long way in a little over a year and many people have no real clue of how much work it is to change even the smallest thing. If you put things in perspective, Brickset.com, the top of the LEGO foodchain of websites, has been around for 10 years. They have had plenty of time to modify and perfect their site and navigation and interface issues have been tweaked many times over the years. I can only imagine what this site could become in 10 years if things go the way we plan.

Please excuse my French, but what I do know is Jeff is busting his ass on the site and the data and information we give people is for free. He has been working very hard on a new feature we will be releasing shortly and I hope people will find it useful and both a money saver and a money maker.

True dat. BrickPicker makes like a donut hole of money (that is exactly $0.00!) We are all extremely grateful that Jeff has been trying his best to make Brick Picker a better place. BTW is BrickPicker spelled like that or Brick Picker or Brickpicker or Brick-Picker? I never know...BrickPicker is good enough. ;-) I also like BoogerPicker.

When I add a user to my Ignore List, I still see posts from them in the forums. I was assuming if I ignore someone, I wouldn't see any more of their posts. Is that the case? Or does it do something else, or is that functionality just not working yet? Thanks...

So you want a STAR WARS MINIFIGURE forum?

Personally yes. But I mean it's just some that I want you know.... I don't want to make any promises that it would be your most popular forum section or anything.

Just throwing out something I think would be awesome.

While a section for each of the mini theme sets would be cool. Star Wars has over 500+ different minis now where LOTR/Hobbit are closer to like 60 combined.

Thanks!

When I add a user to my Ignore List, I still see posts from them in the forums. I was assuming if I ignore someone, I wouldn't see any more of their posts. Is that the case? Or does it do something else, or is that functionality just not working yet? Thanks...

I'm not really sure what it means. I'll have to ask Jeff. The forums are a template we use and there is not a lot of flexibility with them. We used a template to save time on the site creation, otherwise, it would take a lot longer to have a finished product. From what I understand, there is a new and updated forum being developed that will add many new features.

Jeff and Ed, Is there any plan to make the "Price Guide" search function more robust ? Perhaps, make an "Advance Search" function where users can plug in different search criteria. Right now the search is pretty limited to set name. I did not see a way to search for all sets released in 2011, for example. Good job on the site. Keep up the good work

One feature I would like to see is a personalised CAGR for each set in a folio, based on the date of purchase and the price paid. The percentage profit is definitely handy, but by itself it doesn't give an indication of how long I've been sitting on a set to achieve that.

I definitely think that there should be an attempt to appraise the minifigures. It would be very difficult but it would be great.

No chance with that. Sorry. There are no LEGO numbers for these minifigures parted from sets that people actually know of. We get our data from set numbers, not names, which can vary greatly with each seller listing them. There can be hundreds of different ways to describe one minifigure. Until LEGO releases actual number for these minifigures and people start using them to describe the minifigure, it is way beyond the scope of our resources.

Jeff and Ed, Is there any plan to make the "Price Guide" search function more robust ? Perhaps, make an "Advance Search" function where users can plug in different search criteria. Right now the search is pretty limited to set name. I did not see a way to search for all sets released in 2011, for example.

Good job on the site. Keep up the good work

A query system is in future plans...yes.

One feature I would like to see is a personalised CAGR for each set in a folio, based on the date of purchase and the price paid. The percentage profit is definitely handy, but by itself it doesn't give an indication of how long I've been sitting on a set to achieve that.

Could be an option for "premium member" status when we offer one.

I have a silly little suggestion for today. I know you're working on other things, so just an idea for someday in the future, but how about a customizable ticker on the front page? I have no idea how much work is required to do something like that, but I think it would be nice to see prices for things that interest me. Options could be items in your Brickfolio, by theme, most popular, biggest gainers, etc.

I had an idea recently, I don't know how well it would work though? At the beginning of each month each member would receive 5 or 10 points to give to other members for insightful posts, reviews, or any other variety of reasons. At the end of each month the total number of brickpoint's would be cashed out and given to the members who received them. Members would not be able to keep the points they were able to give out, and if the member received any points from members during that month they would be able to give them out to other members also. I think this might be a way of creating incentives for intelligent conversation, although this never seems to be an issue on this forum.

Could be an option for "premium member" status when we offer one.

Speaking for myself, I'd be happy to pay a membership to support the site (and to avoid the hassle of maintaining a separate spreadsheet to calculate this stuff myself :)

I think this is where the next evolution of the site will head. We want to make the Brickfolio more like a usable spreadsheet. We also have tons more of data to let people sift through. That being said, there will be a point where people are gaining access to info they cannot get anywhere else and are making money off of our data. For us to continue to pay for upgraded data and Jeff's time to produce such features, a premium membership will be developed.

I have a silly little suggestion for today. I know you're working on other things, so just an idea for someday in the future, but how about a customizable ticker on the front page? I have no idea how much work is required to do something like that, but I think it would be nice to see prices for things that interest me. Options could be items in your Brickfolio, by theme, most popular, biggest gainers, etc.

The current ticker is based on what sets were most recently searched for by members. I like your idea and more customization of features is also a possibility in future updates. Get ready, Jeff is going to let you guys at this new feature shortly to find some bugs or issues.

I had an idea recently, I don't know how well it would work though?

At the beginning of each month each member would receive 5 or 10 points to give to other members for insightful posts, reviews, or any other variety of reasons. At the end of each month the total number of brickpoint's would be cashed out and given to the members who received them. Members would not be able to keep the points they were able to give out, and if the member received any points from members during that month they would be able to give them out to other members also. I think this might be a way of creating incentives for intelligent conversation, although this never seems to be an issue on this forum.

There will be an upgrade on the forums at some point. I would like to add more features like thumbs up/down for comments that might add Brickpoints. We are going to offer awards and medals to Top reviewers and posters. Maybe an overall award for quality articles or content. There are also some things I want to change with the overall way posts are tracked and displayed. When this major new feature is done and Jeff recovers from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from writing code, we will start tweaking some stuff.

The character set pages for Series 6 and 8 of the MINIFIGURES are jumbled up. For example, it says "Downhill Skier" but shows the "Vampire Bat". All the other Series' listings are fine, but those two Series' are not right. I noticed this after I added in my Series 9 minifigs and the inventory numbers and names are not matching the character shown for 6 & 8. I don't know how my six "Santa's" suddenly became "Red Cheerleader's".

The character set pages for Series 6 and 8 of the MINIFIGURES are jumbled up. For example, it says "Downhill Skier" but shows the "Vampire Bat". All the other Series' listings are fine, but those two Series' are not right. I noticed this after I added in my Series 9 minifigs and the inventory numbers and names are not matching the character shown for 6 & 8. I don't know how my six "Santa's" suddenly became "Red Cheerleader's".

Just ignore the photos for now. There is something funky going on with the photos. I will have to show Jeff in person over the weekend what is going on. It is not letting me change the photos without having the other photos changed as well. The Collectible Minifigures are just a big pain in the ass.

Just ignore the photos for now. There is something funky going on with the photos. I will have to show Jeff in person over the weekend what is going on. It is not letting me change the photos without having the other photos changed as well. The Collectible Minifigures are just a big pain in the ass.Fixed...

Just ignore the photos for now. There is something funky going on with the photos. I will have to show Jeff in person over the weekend what is going on. It is not letting me change the photos without having the other photos changed as well. The Collectible Minifigures are just a big pain in the ass.Fixed... I can only imagine at just how much of a pain in the ass they are. I am sorry it is giving you so much trouble. I'll worry about updating my minifigs later. Thank you all the same.

Just ignore the photos for now. There is something funky going on with the photos. I will have to show Jeff in person over the weekend what is going on. It is not letting me change the photos without having the other photos changed as well. The Collectible Minifigures are just a big pain in the ass.Fixed... I can only imagine at just how much of a pain in the ass they are. I am sorry it is giving you so much trouble. I'll worry about updating my minifigs later. Thank you all the same.Oh! It's not your fault. Just ranting about the Collectible Minifigures and their listings. Usually I can easily change a picture on a set, but they were all messed up and they weren't letting me change them to the proper image. It's frustration on my part when I have to ask Jeff to do this kind of simple adjustments.

The Collectible Minifigures just have bad data all the time and I love them as investments, but as eBay listings, they are tough to get accurate numbers for. People constantly package them in lots and describe them incorrectly. As we mature more as a site, we might find numerous volunteers that might want to start tackling the Minifigure categorizing so we can come up with prices for them. Sorry once again for my grouchy attitude.