Thread of Packaging Excellence

9 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Thanks. Sorry I didn't notice that before. Has everyone here been changing the default setting and still getting their sets with shipping labels on them?

No need to apologize.  There's a lot of crap on the AZ listings.  I've been very lucky.  I've never received a labeled set box from Amazon (I have from WM and Target both) but man, do I receive some oversized boxes with one, maybe two air pillows in them.  And I once received a 75055 from Amazon where the packer put it in a box an inch less long than the set.  it was obvious that he pushed in the side of the set to make it fit the box.  😡

I ordered a Lego Boost for my son's Xmas gift off Amazon and noticed something on the order page that I never noticed before. Maybe you guys have seen it before, but it says "Item arrives in packaging that shows what's inside". In order to hide it, you have to click Ship in Amazon Packaging and then click the checkbox next to "Ship in Amazon Packaging". After checking this, under Gift Option, it says "Ships in Amazon Packaging". 
I'm guessing this may be a way to prevent a Lego set from being shipped with just a shipping label slapped on it. I'll post an update when I get the set on Thursday. Seems like a sneaky default setting that allows Amazon to ship products with shipping labels slapped on it. 
On a side note, some poor guy on Amazon had his Nebulon Frigate shipped with just a label on it. No box or bag. 
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_11/250439088_AmazonPackaging.jpg.282f0500d4267f5437195cd3c4a092c2.jpg
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_11/2036762143_AmazonPackaging2.jpg.5ba5a13ebb19107ef553f6ee354562af.jpg
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_11/1649304756_nebulonlabel.jpg.5f9e6cd518b079d44418e75d2c77338d.jpg
Someone needs to teach that guy how to properly remove stickers from sets haha. Speaking of, I had ordered 10 Chicken Coops from Best Buy when they clearanced them for $10 each, I picked in store pickup. When I picked them up and the clerk was bringing them out for me I noticed that they all had the big order pickup stickers on them that Best Buy puts on stuff and thought "great, time for the hairdryer". The clerk had other ideas though and grabbed a set and just ripped the sticker off and half of the front of the box art with it. I almost cried right there haha. I told him to stop and to not remove any more... he looked confused, I explained that he just ruined the box and told him I wanted to return that one for a refund and I would remove the stickers from the rest.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, oneknightr said:

I ordered a Lego Boost for my son's Xmas gift off Amazon and noticed something on the order page that I never noticed before. Maybe you guys have seen it before, but it says "Item arrives in packaging that shows what's inside". In order to hide it, you have to click Ship in Amazon Packaging and then click the checkbox next to "Ship in Amazon Packaging". After checking this, under Gift Option, it says "Ships in Amazon Packaging". 

I'm guessing this may be a way to prevent a Lego set from being shipped with just a shipping label slapped on it. I'll post an update when I get the set on Thursday. Seems like a sneaky default setting that allows Amazon to ship products with shipping labels slapped on it. 

On a side note, some poor guy on Amazon had his Nebulon Frigate shipped with just a label on it. No box or bag. 

Amazon Packaging.jpg

Amazon Packaging2.jpg

rather than being shipped naked  and slapped with a label w/o protection, more likely it is going to be shipped in an outer LEGO carton in pristine ala "frustration free" like many $99+ sets from amazon.  like saturn v's were being shipped in.  this is now sop for amazon for larger exclusives and most sets $99 and over. sets show up minty.  ymmv but we shall see  :) 

Edited by cladner

2 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:
7 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Someone needs to teach that guy how to properly remove stickers from sets haha. Speaking of, I had ordered 10 Chicken Coops from Best Buy when they clearanced them for $10 each, I picked in store pickup. When I picked them up and the clerk was bringing them out for me I noticed that they all had the big order pickup stickers on them that Best Buy puts on stuff and thought "great, time for the hairdryer". The clerk had other ideas though and grabbed a set and just ripped the sticker off and half of the front of the box art with it. I almost cried right there haha. I told him to stop and to not remove any more... he looked confused, I explained that he just ruined the box and told him I wanted to return that one for a refund and I would remove the stickers from the rest.

this is a shame becuz those BB stickers remove really easy (for anyone willing to be careful) without damage...exact same for me...x10 coops..but I told the guy i would remove stickers ...which I did easily in the parking lot in a couple minutes.

I bought a Dragon Sanctuary at Kmart and it had a 38.99 sticker on the front of it. They were going for about $150 at the time. The front end manager was checking me out and she scanned the box but it came up rrp. I asked if she could give me the sticker price and she said NO and ripped off the sticker while I screamed a slow-mo'ed "Nooooooooo!!!!!!"
  • Sad 1

I bought a Dragon Sanctuary at Kmart and it had a 38.99 sticker on the front of it. They were going for about $150 at the time. The front end manager was checking me out and she scanned the box but it came up rrp. I asked if she could give me the sticker price and she said NO and ripped off the sticker while I screamed a slow-mo'ed "Nooooooooo!!!!!!"

I thought they legally had to honor the sticker price?

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I thought they legally had to honor the sticker price?

I thought so too.  That was how I picked up several HP and SW advent calendars for $19 ea at Walmart back in Oct.

The calendars rang up at regular price and I showed them the picture of the display (my phone) and pointed out the floor display to them, which was within eyeshot of the register.  They gave me the calendars at $19 ea.  I came back a few days later and the floor display was gone.

On a side note.  I saw a Speed Champion Ferrari Semi set (RRP = $100) at TRU during their bankruptcy.  No price on the shelf or set, set was by itself, and nearly a year after it had retired.  I asked a worked to price check it and it rang up $120!?!?!  I told them it should be no more than $100 and that it was well over a year old.  They didn't care.  I put it back.

Edited by exracer327

On 11/17/2020 at 10:58 AM, oneknightr said:

Amazon Packaging.jpg

Amazon Packaging2.jpg

nebulon label.jpg

Update: I received the Lego Boost set in a Lego shipper in an Amazon box. I'm not sure if checking that "Ship in Amazon Packing" checkbox helped or not, but I'll keep it in mind next time I place an order for another set.

boost1.jpg

boost2.jpg

• Like 2

Some genuine packing excellence for me today, courtesy of Amazon. I just received the Technic Lamborghini Sian I ordered yesterday. It came within a double-walled outer cardboard box (bookended by crush protectors), which was itself wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by packing paper, and then within another double-walled cardboard box. I have never seen Amazon package anything so thoroughly.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Some genuine packing excellence for me today, courtesy of Amazon. I just received the Technic Lamborghini Sian I ordered yesterday. It came within a double-walled outer cardboard box (bookended by crush protectors), which was itself wrapped in bubble wrap, surrounded by packing paper, and then within another double-walled cardboard box. I have never seen Amazon package anything so thoroughly.

I just received 150 lego sets wrapped in a sticky bubble wrap film. Covered in a plastic bag. Courtesy of kohls. I would have been happy with an over sized box with no packing material honestly.

12 minutes ago, landphieran said:

I just received 150 lego sets wrapped in a sticky bubble wrap film. Covered in a plastic bag. Courtesy of kohls. I would have been happy with an over sized box with no packing material honestly.

Post is missing something, ha.  Seriously, would love to see a pic of this monstrosity. 

10 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

So I decided to do a little digging and in California there is a legal requirement or fine if you do not.

That is true, but it's not black and white.  If it is an intentionally advertised price, right or wrong, yes they need to honor it.  An item in the wrong area, misapplied sticker (singe) or other mishap are generally not binding.  Otherwise anyone could walk into a store and rearranging things and switch stickers -- which happens.

I routinely find sale stickers at Barnes & Noble that do not ring up.  I assume there are from prior sales.  In either are, they alway honor it.  Except one time the cashier told me someone must have switched it because they put the stickers on a different corner on the box.

9 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

amazon is just becoming a waste of time, still limits of 1, have about 10 accounts now. they now sending large sets in plastic bags, received 5 trains today all heavy damaged.

no point in using them.

Sorry to hear. I remember guys mentioning the "plastic bag" epidemic when Frigate shipped. Now it's happening to me.

I've only been ordering smaller sets and everyone is coming in a flexible mailer consistently damaged. Game over. I'm going to miss the 40%+ discounts that I can only get on Amazon.

Only hope is Walmart now. They're desperate enough to delay price match Amazon on some items and they still ship in a box, for now... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RightDwigt said:

My first bad experience from Zavvi, about my 10th order. Box was soaking wet and slimy. I was able to peel the box apart. It was wetter on the inside than on the outside, so clearly the outside had time to dry while the innards marinated. Will see what CS says.

RVWiHVLtdHgtazoUKLwbyx4ToxESLax_lfnTXGhybLeuUNbfJ2haIBL7zaxFrp35HMRIemvGfrCsqYrAbjoYKgYf7oZHcWdiJUUsftZVzfHWrELJxkN0M6pXwlU-EIIfoFG7DxBKHAslteCx9_nSETXTn4P-jbudqwHwkd_oz-5c0_V4b5XIov4Crfa4weCX28THRazxgaczxjDN5yTZwLUvUB7mKf8lNOrcppnFNfGnFnY1ofP3dQM27oTkKrKRaa9gy1i7zg9wvUpKRA3a_PYcbt8wllgr37oS54kXfr46fJYjIVHvf4UkxLv_HoCy7BiETCOI99swfmMf4SMtsMaUxCY0y3DV15SzGe3q_jr9-SWztV4bDl5gjyr9g1YAI7hLuFlpN323E6u-KdBdD53caUaB1lxuSMyIRGvH8j1pQjm0Jwn2FLD1N-uT70KrelAVAOgG0aIConaqwTaCXzKvdbjderj9QqUDlr98YIWUBOFwbT9FM3xp8zAAfNCKdiapKYNISYYAbncowtTiizb8pAfgki082iyYOSZl9LP8gSZL5chcZVDVt09w12hGZ1SWwcqB-OR6XE-RFnpdxEGNbupcwyhSGk_6xeL0MdVYKQfo1FmsI-ezy0DO-OHOy-BzLpp9JJnWT9Ihtn1XCNvXtRF1Pl8jFQsx9cm3_I8R_evvpKx9Fbno7eEskgY=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0

N5kwmcU-He1wV92FnXUWHJZUWzttJmooJhRzs82FCygecB5iOff2ASZXoazpIEqJBipCC-8t3N0BEUvNI4hu9BFNup6VbKFYkE5TVr2uQ0pOFlW1vKvzWTfzyImrW1DI5CL61Va2szmKstiNp7usMY5To8jkfTFysjSEA1gb_61LlywufoxTmLKGmD96HH3kpLmoVoEBB_jDNthk5DCpHVZYveqVhvEMami48bmjYRZ1X0DvCsDuPWYVgfQq2zKTVm_XLGy08gjZFgTNgd1yXOQXQEwDnBdDXVEYeKFT1B-QcrnQgTZ3DWbw2uy0EbunGLuTsGnqM8Kcy6F2sNkx4u09C05LiEY53BljIF9W1H5-x-iMbBuxkOY6RmVNHNPXG4KvUxtqiwEVzEn5Wq_uelYc5oTCNAIbtCyHye-NgW9vwyyD4N1Wyj7Nr1_wk54_0GLDV-f-th16i3qAQFu2fW3fB1qx2JSlx6dGnICRj0pLEWKnGj1LC0wCR5X7_jgQ_wbbiVy3OvnMzMufL753EnSLL6KAt622wm8QVeDp6nxXQvOfUTtR98WWQA_p8ANLX5kmhsUPFswj_CyL_hYs2gy875oPk_QUKePhqSghIQGBRLig9CpZNltXXlMpH_aQ67fsKAOIdyASnx0f0rEyoXjQEOptVHZDsqkf3IGPS35vaksrOiSHki5ZceliJ2Q=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0au-8LNJqkd8gK_vX-hNvewtJUofEVwsx84tm8yJ26ea8OvgfHP1kJJa3MrnIphv_6QScOxNJCm_F-1gx_WiwqK-qHwM5TcT2eq1KSk2FxgWbqf9n9zTFuCMIy_gvczYfb-WggvhtQU3PLGhIiArhLuXosqQFyJVQ1IvudDy2t3XOUmQU1miKwkKQP54_CnaPeQPIifSUpMex8bLWUcUMtotYGEAKKfiqrr6UnPVdXpUesT-XBhAsA9dq-TKzSO9HT52s6_EIqDXoOseH7WczSqBetX3P033D0b_5OWpQnQXy_5m7d-flskoLcJKl3Bl_uKeF693Buln6uvAu9MX6ysNC2MGnitU-RM6WDkcFAjFZfXfFh9TZPFiaDxbvZUVbX1WGWyr_NcFxaP9nhkLWa1WsKkHUPQYJUoce4pA0URDEJsZemXIVY4EMv8YpGQPDCBwYpPExuXwCZAkuoRptf0ENnWb07TeYBbZbL9aCGN3JOucFWcjqHCKfW94C6sqg0S0brbQsddS7lfuAURaEkqRCpGisndhja6RyUyAEJqQYqWCKz-oTL0VVnQJLCE3spmYil8iitLcDBP6_Nh--JWtwyOlA_Fa7rwX9gwgD3RMxJD6G3BxjBhEqOcEHEyYyCKTCvSSB5QbIrXXuRumTvucJCDPS7Jj89OXSo2UEQ90g7dNE_hFcV-hJYvDdMRg=w1278-h959-no?authuser=0

YIKES!  I hope mine wasn't on the same plane.  Probably not since it arrives tomorrow.

On 11/28/2020 at 2:49 PM, joneyyy1981 said:

amazon is just becoming a waste of time, still limits of 1, have about 10 accounts now. they now sending large sets in plastic bags, received 5 trains today all heavy damaged.

no point in using them.

I've read that they ban folks with multi account and yes the quantity restrictions are super annoying. Anyways today I just received a land-rover without box and a label slapped over it. I'm returning it for sure.