Thread of Packaging Excellence

On 1/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, Mark Twain said:

Those look soaked as well as crushed, or is that just me? Contact customer support via phone if the chat function is still down. They'll likely send you a replacement of the HP GWP or offer you $20 in VIP points. You'll likely still be able to resell at a discount. 

thanks for the advise, I called them and they offered me some points.

• Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if packing practices are to counter resellers.  I have been told several times - "Well you just throw the box away anyway, why does it matter?"  Thankfully, my kids were in the habit of cutting the cover off the box and I have used that as an example of why I need a decent box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Darth_Raichu said:

Walmart continues to be the superstar of order packaging, replacing LEGO Shop at Home.  

Amazon refused to even use bubble mailers, opting to send my orders in plastic bags instead

image.png

kinda reminds me of the newpapers "delivery" boys on bikes back in the day...can you imagine them "delivering" Amazon bags? 

• 3 weeks later...

I had some gift cards for Best Buy and the Mos Eisley set showed up in stock over a week ago so grabbed it. For whatever reason it did not have a ship to home option and only allowed it to be shipped to a store for pick up. It was finally available so I went to pick it up yesterday. Of course it was shipped to the store without an outer box so it had a big sticker on it that ripped the box if I tried to get it off and the box looked like someone played football with it. I returned it. 👎

2 hours ago, mplsabdullah said:

I had some gift cards for Best Buy and the Mos Eisley set showed up in stock over a week ago so grabbed it. For whatever reason it did not have a ship to home option and only allowed it to be shipped to a store for pick up. It was finally available so I went to pick it up yesterday. Of course it was shipped to the store without an outer box so it had a big sticker on it that ripped the box if I tried to get it off and the box looked like someone played football with it. I returned it. 👎

Why even accept it? Would have just left it at the store and asked for a refund on the spot. 

2 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

Advantage of having it sent to the store I suppose. Just deny that turd at the spot. 

1. Have the clerk open it to inspect that nothing is missing

2. change your mind and opt to refund

3. Ask if you can purchase the "opened box" set at 35% discount

4. Post it on BPers

This is the way

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

1. Have the clerk open it to inspect that nothing is missing

2. change your mind and opt to refund

3. Ask if you can purchase the "opened box" set at 35% discount

4. Post it on BPers

This is the way

I did hint towards a possible discount which I though would happen because it was sold out however the moment he checked it showed in stock for home delivery which of course he offered to do. I said I would just place the order myself and left. Soon as I left it was no longer available and only showing for pick up in that same store.

I'm actually expecting another to arrive soon from elsewhere so not too big of a deal.

Regarding opening boxes, a funny thing happened yesterday with a large set I had to return to Walmart. The Customer service person opened it. I've returned others before and never had anyone open them. I asked him what he was going to do with it and he said they will likely reseal and put it in clearance.

Also to add since it packaging related: I bought a largish Harry Potter set yesterday from Walmart and when I left the store the box popped open and everything fell out in the parking lot.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, mplsabdullah said:

Can't get close to %35 however they are offering $50 off.

What say all ye? Yay or nay

Were the GCs gifts or discounted if so why not then?  The new “adult” box is nice so if you are just buying to hold that may limit your customer base or asking price in comparison to MISB. You can always build it and sell it used no box and break even at worse. I have a minty box I can sell/trade you for cheap if you were local. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:29 PM, raindog said:

Before getting so bent out of shape, that isn't what it means.  Not that AZ hasn't slapped shipping labels on boxes before but, that isn't what that statement means.  It's discussed ad nauseum in the proper threads and not one devoted to Deals.

https://www.brickpicker.com/forums/forum/17-amazoncom/

I just received mine. Two boxes in separate shipping, both direct slap on the box, and one of them is even damaged (two wholes on the Lego box, one is covered by the label).

So yea....nightmare even for my own collection...

43 minutes ago, Roklion said:

I just received mine. Two boxes in separate shipping, both direct slap on the box, and one of them is even damaged (two wholes on the Lego box, one is covered by the label).

So yea....nightmare even for my own collection...

just to clarify: you ordered 2 units from Target

The order came in two separate shipments

Each shipment arrived without an outer shipping box w/ just the shipping label stickers directly pasted onto the original set box.

And to make it worse, there were two holes in one of the boxes (presumably intentionally hidden by the shipping label).

Sux, but just as suspected from how some folks read the shipping description on the Target website for the set.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

just to clarify: you ordered 2 units from Target

The order came in two separate shipments

Each shipment arrived without an outer shipping box w/ just the shipping label stickers directly pasted onto the original set box.

And to make it worse, there were two holes in one of the boxes (presumably intentionally hidden by the shipping label).

Sux, but just as suspected from how some folks read the shipping description on the Target website for the set.

Exactly. All is accurate.

I kinda expected either the direct label or some damage due to shipping without the outer box when I saw this thread, but the quality of the packaging is so bad it belongs to a heavy clearance/sale rather than market price sale. Not that I'm going to refund of it or anything (probably as Target expected), but Target is definitely taking advantage of the timing to get rid of their bad inventory.

Last few posts in here had me a little worried about the pirate ship I ordered from target that was delivered today. Especially after my recent bad experience with Best Buy.

However I'm happy to report that the pirate ship was in an exact fitting box and that box was put inside another larger box with bubble wrap all over.

• Like 1