STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

So let me get this straight, they could create perfectly working cybernetic hands, but not C-3PO's paint jobs ????? :D :D  By movie IX, it should get blue chestplate and purple right thigh to match the red arm and silver leg :D

Look at who owns 3P0.  A freaking Princess owns him.  How in the heck do they not have enough money to make sure his body parts aren't all the same color?

So Episode VII, written and directed by JJ Abrams, as well as Lawrence Kasdan.  ok sounds like a good combo

Episode VIII, written and directed by Rain Johnson.  wait who? ok well see...

Episode IX, written by Rain again, and now directed by Colin Trevorrow, um the Jurassic World guy.

going to very interesting to see how this all plays out.  hopefully they can keep it all together and play off of each other. 

So Episode VII, written and directed by JJ Abrams, as well as Lawrence Kasdan.  ok sounds like a good combo

Episode IX, written by Rain again, and now directed by Colin Trevorrow, um the Jurassic World guy.

going to very interesting to see how this all plays out.  hopefully they can keep it all together and play off of each other. 

Rain's Looper is a very good film.  So I have confidence in him.  

And I don't know that Rain is writing Eoiside IV.  I think that was just a rumor.  I think Trevorrow is at least partly involved in the writing.  And Trevorrow did a great job on Jurassic World considering it was a really tough sequel to make (Spielberg couldn't even make s good one).  My problems with Jurassic World was not the directing. It was the script.  

As templesweeper said, he's the director of Looper. it's a really good time-travel movie so he's familiar with sci-fi. He's also the director of the best tv episode since ever, Breaking Bad's Ozymandias episode. Great choice they made.

Yeah but ever since I had kids, I hate that scene.  "Master Skywalker?"  *Innocent looks

There are other ways to show how evil he is like when he wipes out the banking clan and neimodian dudes.  

yeah, but all those other guys Abakin killed were basically bad guys also.  So it didn't really show how the dark side had "twisted" Anakin.  Remember, the dark side changes who you are.  Those are Obi Wan's words in the original trilogy.  At least they didn't actually show the kids being attacked.  But it makes sense.  Someone had to have done it.  And by making it Anakin you see how far the dark side has taken him.  

Here's a thought, since sometimes less is more in storytelling and filmmaking:

We didn't need to see Anakin kill the children--our brains filled in the details and made it more horrifying than the Emperor with No Clothes (i.e., George Lucas) could have.

It only follows that we didn't need to see Anakin become Darth Vader because our childhood imaginations made it a much more interesting story than those God-awful prequels. Lines like "he's more machine than man" and "twisted and evil" just set the stage for amazing imaginative horrors. Lucas's main crime wasn't making bad movies; it was making bad movies that didn't need to be made, crushing our imaginations.

My favorite director of all time, Alfred Hitchcock, said it best: "It's not the bang that terrifies, but the anticipation of it." The anticipation is all imagination, and imagination trumps anything on screen. The best the screen can do is inspire imagination to go even further.

Edited by biking_tiger
  • Like 2

Here's a thought, since sometimes less is more in storytelling and filmmaking:

We didn't need to see Anakin kill the children--our brains filled in the details and made it more horrifying than the Emperor with No Clothes (i.e., George Lucas) could have.

It only follows that we didn't need to see Anakin become Darth Vader because our childhood imaginations made it a much more interesting story than those God-awful prequels. Lines like "he's more machine than man" and "twisted and evil" just set the stage for amazing imaginative horrors. Lucas's main crime wasn't making bad movies; it was making bad movies that didn't need to be made, crushing our imaginations.

My favorite director of all time, Alfred Hitchcock, said it best: "It's not the bang that terrifies, but the anticipation of it." The anticipation is all imagination, and imagination trumps anything on screen. The best the screen can do is inspire imagination to go even further.

So, we need to take some advice from Yoda.  "You must unlearn what you have learned". 

• Like 2

I think the prequels could have been good with talented writers and directors (Lucas was always good at building characters and worlds but needed a lot of help making movies).  That's what's cool about the upcoming trilogy...they are attempting to find talented writers and designers.

The two sins of the prequels are:

-He spent too much time on Anakin as a youth, which was boring, and chose piss poor actors to play him.

-He completely screwed up the "Clone Wars" which everyone thought was gonna be Jedi vs. Mandalorians based on Obi's statements implying that.  Instead we got meat puppet clones versus robots we don't care about.  

You didn't find "NOOOOOOO!!!!" unintentionally funny?  :)

At that point after suffering through those three crapfests that one line broke me down and I had to laugh.

Logically speaking, that '"NOOOO" fit the whole movie.  Anakin was shown as whiny *** clown who got whinier the more power he supposedly possessed.  So what was the first thing he did when he got an upgrade?? ;)

Now, the NOO that was added on the blu-ray edition of EpVI was funny because it unintentionally broke the dramatic tension of that final duel scenes 

Breaking News! 

Star Wars VII "The Force Awakens" will hit european cinema's 2 days before the US! :P

Europe: 16 December

US: 18 December

So we Europeans will flood the forum with spoilers! :victory:

I would assume there will be some limited screenings here starting on wends.  thats how they usually do the release dates, early screenings on wends or thurs and full release on friday.  will be good to add more hype and push more sales out.  the 18th is going cutting it close to get those shipments out.  

plus if the movie tanks we can push stuff out the door before it hits general release :P

• Like 2

I would assume there will be some limited screenings here starting on wends.  thats how they usually do the release dates, early screenings on wends or thurs and full release on friday.  will be good to add more hype and push more sales out.  the 18th is going cutting it close to get those shipments out.  

plus if the movie tanks we can push stuff out the door before it hits general release :P

But if the movie is a big success, on the 17th we europeans will clean out your ebay and amazon shops of star wars sets. Even before you have the chance to do your price increases. :P

• Like 3