STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

So I just watched those 3 preview snippets and came to a conclusion... It was never overuse of lens flare that we should worry about... more like overuse of lens "stare" or lens "glare". I mean seriously, do they go through the entire movie with their mouths hanging open just awkwardly staring at everything? Someone say something, please!

So I just watched those 3 preview snippets and came to a conclusion... It was never overuse of lens flare that we should worry about... more like overuse of lens "stare" or lens "glare". I mean seriously, do they go through the entire movie with their mouths hanging open just awkwardly staring at everything? Someone say something, please!

that is why it is called The Force AWAKENS. Everyone has just woken up and thus in the midst of yawning.

• Like 1

The Force Awakens official poster is in.

• Wonder what that planet looking weapon is? Hopeful not another Death Star...
  • Still no official image of Luke Skywalker. He probably has a smaller role or maybe already decreased?  not sure what's going on there.
  • Leia is in there as well as prob that Maz character.

The following is just pure speculation based on zero facts :

Luke is behind the mask. Boooom 

Oh man if that's another Death Star I really don't get it.  Third times a charm maybe?  Seems like a really cheap and lazy plot point, but I'll try to reserve judgement until I see the movie.  JJ better have a good explanation for going that route again other than trying to pull this into the OT as much as possible.  

Edited by zskid00

Oh man if that's another Death Star I really don't get it.  Third times a charm maybe?  Seems like a really cheap and lazy plot point, but I'll try to reserve judgement until I see the movie.  JJ better have a good explanation for going that route again other than trying to pull this into the OT as much as possible.  

by this logic there should not be any TIE fighter, X wing, light sabres, MF, droids, sith, jedi etc.

I think jaisonline hinted pretty hard at what it probably is in his previous post.

Or or or perhaps the dark side found a way to revive the Eye of Sauron and somehow trapped it in that ball.  It looked like an eyeball with red pupil to me.  Maybe the whole movie is about how Rey was chosen to deliver a certain "one CD that controls them all" to a very hot lava planet so it could be destroyed. 

:D

• Like 3

It's not a Death Star.  Look closely, and you'll see a blue ring indicating atmosphere.  Its the ice planet from the trailer.  It's Star Killer base, which J.J. Abrams already confirmed.  The structures you see are built INTO the planet, which, frankly, is awesome.  So no worries, it isn't Death Star 3.0. 

think it is a new improved replacement for the death star

made out of a planet

they call it the star killer base

then you can say it is not a rebel base

it is not made out of old fallen over at at as we heard

and it will be the ucs set this Christmas

that is my prediction based on all this and I will probably be incorrect

then lego decided to pump out another 20 million bucks of the old death star to the investment community and will retire it right before the new one is released

I do have to say jaisonline you have your Star Wars information down quite impressed sir thank you for the posts

by this logic there should not be any TIE fighter, X wing, light sabres, MF, droids, sith, jedi etc.

That's not it at all.  Those elements have been around the Star Wars universe and survived from the last era.  Both previous Death Stars were destroyed by the Rebels.  Why would they keep pouring so many resources into something that didn't work the first two times and crippled their stranglehold on the galaxy?  That's all I'm saying, but I hope some of you are right in that this is not another Death Star.

That's not it at all.  Those elements have been around the Star Wars universe and survived from the last era.  Both previous Death Stars were destroyed by the Rebels.  Why would they keep pouring so many resources into something that didn't work the first two times and crippled their stranglehold on the galaxy?  That's all I'm saying, but I hope some of you are right in that this is not another Death Star.

Because the DS was the safest and biggest weapon around.  They were the size of a moon but when they exploded none of the nearby planets were affected by explosions, and neither did ALL surrounding starships :thumbsup: 

because that sh*t doesn't work . 

well as I pointed out: improved death star :-P

that **** worked pretty well, but the first one was blown up due to sheer luke (some weird magic thingy!!!) and the second one suffered after the shield generator has been shut down BUT it was not completed!

so it doesn't take a genious to take that old plan which was pretty awesome all by itself and then improve on these weakspots. sounds like a reasonable plan to improve something that already has been very good after you've figured out the weaknesses.

I mean let's face it, trial and error is how our world works :-P

So if it is indeed a Death Star like weapon built into this planet it still doesn't make much sense.  It's not like they can target any planet they want at any time.  It is immobile and subject to planetary rotation and probably has an impeded view of many star systems.  I know trying to be realistic about a sci-fi movie is not a good match, but I think I will be disappointed if the remnants of the Empire are up to their same old tricks again after all these years.  I would have expected another course of action, but again I'll wait to see how this plays out.

• Like 2

I like this article

if it was already posted my apologies

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-Wars-Force-Awakens-Death-Star-Explained-88987.html

Sure, a planet based weapon system.  After it destroys every planet in its solar system, then what?

Oh wait, based on ST, just because 1 star went supernova, somehow the entire galaxy became endangered.  Hmm, perhaps the dark side / Kylo Ren watched the new ST movie 1 and got the idea to blow up a sun to create a blackhole that would suck them to the past before movie IV timeline, therefor preventing the rebels from destroying the old DS, thus resetting the whole SW franchise for the younger audience.

More :money:for the Mouse... :thumbsup:

Seriously, who are the contractors in this universe?  I need them to work for me.  This is what? 30 years in the future and they've managed to already construct a super weapon that is built into a freaking planet?  It took 10 years to re-build the World Trade Center, and these guys can carve out a planet and insert a mega weapon in 3x the time.  Impressive.

• Like 2

So if it is indeed a Death Star like weapon built into this planet it still doesn't make much sense.  It's not like they can target any planet they want at any time.  It is immobile and subject to planetary rotation and probably has an impeded view of many star systems.  I know trying to be realistic about a sci-fi movie is not a good match, but I think I will be disappointed if the remnants of the Empire are up to their same old tricks again after all these years.  I would have expected another course of action, but again I'll wait to see how this plays out.

I've always thought of Star Wars as more "science fantasy" or "space romance" (and not the kissing kind... ask your English teacher). Star Trek typically trends more science fiction, but neither is very "hard."

But yeah... serious limitations. And some have suggested this ice planet is now mobile--like that won't eff up the gravitational pull, etc. etc. of surrounding planets/moons/etc. Fantasy.

• Like 1