STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

I see they handled the exhaust port problem by making them Super Star Destroyer sized on this Omega Star. (I'm calling it that because I am beyond fatigued of Death Star.) Poor Leia's hair, she looked better as "Princess Bunhead". :rofl:

They have tried so hard (too hard) to hit every note from the OT - It seems as if most every bit of footage has been a nod to some nostalgic moment that we've already seen in SW.

I certainly can understand why, but I just hope that they spent half as much time coming up with an original story, instead of just trying to check off all the boxes.

I'm worried about that myself with this new trilogy ultimately rehashing more than actually expanding the storyline, something the franchise on a whole sorely needs.

I'm worried about that myself with this new trilogy ultimately rehashing more than actually expanding the storyline, something the franchise on a whole sorely needs.

I think this first movie will be a transition movie from the old to the new to ease folks into the new world. I think it's a brilliant strategy. They did the same thing to a certain extent with the recent Star Trek reboot and it worked.

The Force Awakens official poster is in.

• Wonder what that planet looking weapon is? Hopeful not another Death Star...
  • Still no official image of Luke Skywalker. He probably has a smaller role or maybe already decreased?  not sure what's going on there.
  • Leia is in there as well as prob that Maz character.

Certainly looks like a new death star design. 10188 can now retire !

Looks like this new trilogy will have new ships and weapons that are closer in design to OT. So fans can better connect with the movie? This will probably work better than Episode 1 to 3, where many of the ships designs are too different from OT,

Certainly looks like a new death star design. 10188 can now retire !

Looks like this new trilogy will have new ships and weapons that are closer in design to OT. So fans can better connect with the movie? This will probably work better than Episode 1 to 3, where many of the ships designs are too different from OT,

LOL, now all of the complaints I hear are "Everything looks too much like the OT."

I think this first movie will be a transition movie from the old to the new to ease folks into the new world. I think it's a brilliant strategy. They did the same thing to a certain extent with the recent Star Trek reboot and it worked.

That sounds reasonable, and I did enjoy the new Star Trek films quite well in the direction they went.

LOL, now all of the complaints I hear are "Everything looks too much like the OT."

Of course, that's human nature to rant over one thing then when that is done (or not working anymore) start complaining over another. People act like "We want it to be like the original trilogy. Not quite the original trilogy, just like the original trilogy." :mda: Between enduring nostalgia and unreasonable expectations, basically the thing is darned no matter what. Funny thing is the spacecraft and vehicle designs we have seen thus far appear to have been based on sketches drawn up when Lucas was creating the original trilogy.

Sorry, new ST suck.  They were generic adventure in space which happened to share the same space ship and most characters' names with the original ST TV series / movies.  I could change the name of the ship to USS Blob operated by Captain Ted Mosby, 1st Officer Barney, Lt. Robin, etc, and the storylines of both movies would still work.

Now for non-ST fans, they were great.

Sorry, new ST suck.  They were generic adventure in space which happened to share the same space ship and most characters' names with the original ST TV series / movies.  I could change the name of the ship to USS Blob operated by Captain Ted Mosby, 1st Officer Barney, Lt. Robin, etc, and the storylines of both movies would still work.

Now for non-ST fans, they were great.

new ST movies are great, and they should have followed it up with a TV series like how marvel did with agent of Shield. This ST tv series can be closer to the original spirit of ST, and this should then satisfy the more hardcore old fans.

That sounds reasonable, and I did enjoy the new Star Trek films quite well in the direction they went.

Of course, that's human nature to rant over one thing then when that is done (or not working anymore) start complaining over another. People act like "We want it to be like the original trilogy. Not quite the original trilogy, just like the original trilogy." :mda: Between enduring nostalgia and unreasonable expectations, basically the thing is darned no matter what. Funny thing is the spacecraft and vehicle designs we have seen thus far appear to have been based on sketches drawn up when Lucas was creating the original trilogy.

Knowing SW fans, they will still watch the movies at least 5 times EVEN WHEN the movies suck (cf episode 1,2, & 3) :whistle:

can never satisfy everyone. Even if lincoln or george washington is president today, they will be hated by a few people, including the red states. For SW, the only thing that counts is box office figures, and how the majority feels after watching the movie.

Knowing SW fans, they will still watch the movies at least 5 times EVEN WHEN the movies suck (cf episode 1,2, & 3) :whistle:

haha, reminds me of big bang theory. They dissed the first 3 episodes, but must watch the entire series from episode 1 to 6. DVD, blue ray and whatever direcfors cut versions, all multiple times.

• Like 1

new ST movies are great, and they should have followed it up with a TV series like how marvel did with agent of Shield. This ST tv series can be closer to the original spirit of ST, and this should then satisfy the more hardcore old fans.

They were great if you want action adventure in space (seriously, Khan mowing a horde of Klingons with a pair of machine guns?) which obviously what the general audience wanted (hey I can be objective).  However, the only thing they shared with the original Trek was the namesake and Leonard Nimoy (RIP).  Those 2 movies sorely lacked the exploration spirits of Star Trek.

ETA: a TV series closer to original ST would have confused new fans whom the studios coveted the most ;)

They were great if you want action adventure in space (seriously, Khan mowing a horde of Klingons with a pair of machine guns?) which obviously what the general audience wanted (hey I can be objective).  However, the only thing they shared with the original Trek was the namesake and Leonard Nimoy (RIP).  Those 2 movies sorely lacked the exploration spirits of Star Trek.

ETA: a TV series closer to original ST would have confused new fans whom the studios coveted the most ;)

i thought the movie had elements of exploration? The starting scene where kirk went into another planet to try to save them from the super volcano, and then the whole drama about him messing around with another culture thus earning him a demotion.

i thought the movie had elements of exploration? The starting scene where kirk went into another planet to try to save them from the super volcano, and then the whole drama about him messing around with another culture thus earning him a demotion.

Yes, those were the scenes that resonated the most with general public :D The scenes flew by so fast I bet 1/2 viewers did not Kirk was even demoted, let alone the reasons for the demotion :D