STAR WARS VII - "The Force Awakens" - Movie Discussion

gregpj

Seriously, who are the contractors in this universe?  I need them to work for me.  This is what? 30 years in the future and they've managed to already construct a super weapon that is built into a freaking planet?  It took 10 years to re-build the World Trade Center, and these guys can carve out a planet and insert a mega weapon in 3x the time.  Impressive.

Well, under Palpatine they were able to build an operational DS in just 3 years :P

Or or or perhaps the dark side found a way to revive the Eye of Sauron and somehow trapped it in that ball.  It looked like an eyeball with red pupil to me.  Maybe the whole movie is about how Rey was chosen to deliver a certain "one CD that controls them all" to a very hot lava planet so it could be destroyed. 

:D

and maz is gollum!!

I've always thought of Star Wars as more "science fantasy" or "space romance" (and not the kissing kind... ask your English teacher). Star Trek typically trends more science fiction, but neither is very "hard."

But yeah... serious limitations. And some have suggested this ice planet is now mobile--like that won't eff up the gravitational pull, etc. etc. of surrounding planets/moons/etc. Fantasy.

Yes, if you could accept a moon sized weapon blowing up near the orbit of a moon without significantly destroying the habitat of the moon, then you should be able to accept a planet based super weapon system that is mobile.....

.. or not ;) 

Because the DS was the safest and biggest weapon around.  They were the size of a moon but when they exploded none of the nearby planets were affected by explosions, and neither did ALL surrounding starships :thumbsup: 

don't try to bring logic into the Star Wars universe!!! There's no room for nonsense like that in a galaxy far far away :p

• Like 2

oh @sauromosis my good friend do you not realize they have aded propulsion drive systems and warp to the planet so they can rotate the planet in any direction vertically horizontally and diagonally along with moving it on impulse and warp ?

this is the star trek merge that we can hope for

think the new term for this set should be DP until we can abbreviate it officially (Deathstar Planet)

now all we need is the retirement date

• Like 1

If that weapon can't rotate around the entire planet, couldn't an enemy just show up on the opposite side and start blasting?  At least the Death Star could move around, a planet can't.

No it could not, otherwise it wouldn't need to wait for the moon to move before firing its weapon...

oops did I do that again? :P

oh @sauromosis my good friend do you not realize they have aded propulsion drive systems and warp to the planet so they can rotate the planet in any direction vertically horizontally and diagonally along with moving it on impulse and warp ?

this is the star trek merge that we can hope for

think the new term for this set should be DP until we can abbreviate it officially (Deathstar Planet)

now all we need is the retirement date

is there a hyperdrive unit as well? 

It kindof looks like a pokeball.

Or or or perhaps the dark side found a way to revive the Eye of Sauron and somehow trapped it in that ball.  It looked like an eyeball with red pupil to me.  Maybe the whole movie is about how Rey was chosen to deliver a certain "one CD that controls them all" to a very hot lava planet so it could be destroyed. 

OMG Sauromosis, you just found out a way for my Sauron theory to work !!!

• Like 2

OMG Suromosis, you just found out a way for my Sauron theory to work !!!

you guys ruined it will never be able to look at lord of the rings the hobbit and star wars they way I did before

look at my too and think death star

look at my death star and think where is the eye

I am buying tickets to the 6 movies in a row thing though so I am a true fan of star wars lego and whatever it will be of all of it yes all 6 movies including jar jar

• Like 1

So if it is indeed a Death Star like weapon built into this planet it still doesn't make much sense.  It's not like they can target any planet they want at any time.  It is immobile and subject to planetary rotation and probably has an impeded view of many star systems.  I know trying to be realistic about a sci-fi movie is not a good match, but I think I will be disappointed if the remnants of the Empire are up to their same old tricks again after all these years.  I would have expected another course of action, but again I'll wait to see how this plays out.

Call it Star Wars "RDF".  At this point, the fans will make excuses for all creative decisions just because Luke, Han and Chewie are involved. 

But your logic is correct.  What is the point of a mostly imobile planet having a giant laser canon sticking out of it except for defense purposes?  At least the Death Star could potentially move about in space to make it more of a threat. 

But before anyone corrects me, my guess is that it's because of the name "Star Killer" that we may see it instead threaten to destroy a nearby star that it orbits.  Why anyone would want to do that is beyond me.  And I doubt that it will be explained worth a damn in the movie either.

Edited by Mathew