10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

Guest TabbyBoy

Not yet, you can still buy 99 from Lego and Amazon often have them discounted still.  It'll be a good indicator once Lego restricts ordering amounts and Amazon starts to push up prices.

• 3 months later...

I was at TRU yesterday and out of the blue a Tower Bridge set magically appeared. I took it to a price scanner hoping discount off some sort. Nope. $299.99!

The box itself was only fair as well, it had a lot of give as I carried it around. Almost as if it was discovered buried under a pile of other product.

Now, while I certainly would love to add this set, I wonder if TRU negotiates? The box is in poor shape, and I would fall over if somebody paid $300.00 for it.

Has anybody ever haggled with TRU?

First step is to have them price match it for $239.99 - it's in stock at Target.com & Amazon for that price, which they will do. Second, I believe someone mentioned in a thread the other day that they tried to get a price break on a damaged box @ TRU & came up empty, but it's always worth a shot. Worst that could happen would be a "No"! 10% off if you use TRU credit card today or discount gift cards help as well.

Better than the PM use a 20% coupon for item on a Thursday (assuming you have a TRU credit card) and get 10% more off.  That would get it down to 216, although if the box is crappy probably not worth that meager discount to sign up for a CC (although you would get 15% for doing that).

• Like 1

Better than the PM use a 20% coupon for item on a Thursday (assuming you have a TRU credit card) and get 10% more off.  That would get it down to 216, although if the box is crappy probably not worth that meager discount to sign up for a CC (although you would get 15% for doing that).

But TRU does allow coupons after PM? or not?

PM @ $240 - 10% (CC or gc) also would be around $216 so either method would fly, but yes, if the box is that roached, might not be worth it. 

I believe the consensus on here is the policy is they do NOT allow coupons after doing a PM.  Tried once and failed doing that but it comes with all of the usual caveats, YMMV, friendly cashier/manager, etc.

This, exactly. I've only tried twice: once failed, told by manager it was against policy (which makes sense, and is consistent with other retailers), other time succeeded...I think the latter time, the cashier and assistant manager just didn't care. So it's probably worth a shot on an item of this price, but certainly don't count on it working.

Yeah, first do the price match.  Then pull out the 20% coupon and then if they go for that say, oh yeah I have a CC too, it is 10% off extra on Thursday right?  They will probably say all can't be combined so then you can just say hmmm, well which is cheaper doing the PM or using these coupons?

In this instance I would use the bridge as an investment piece, so would like to keep it in box and "new". The box is so hashed though that I don't know if that is even worth it, even at PM. I guess I can just keep a wary eye on it to see of it ever moves ( it has been sitting out in an awkward location for two weeks now), and if not see if they are willing to match and discount from there for a smokin' deal. Although EVEN THEN that box might be the deal killer.

I have walked into one TRU and had seen a T1, and Tower Bridge, T1 was 169.99 and TB was 299.99 and both boxes has creases and dented corners.  I assumed someone returned them after the boxes were damaged in the mail.  They were able to price match but did not allow coupons.  I did not buy either one as I can buy for the MSRP at Lego.com, plus get mint boxes and VIP points.

buidee, TRU was doing you a favor. They pre-dented sand creased the boxes so when some freak accident happens and your boxes fall over and get damaged, it won't matter because they're already damaged. And the higher price is merely their fee for helping one of their idiotic *cough* competent customers

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Hello, as you see on left side, I'm from Slovakia. It's under Poland. I wish we have prices like you in NL, but Lego does not see our country at all (so we can't has VIP account or order something from LEGO Shop at Home), and closest original Lego shop is in Austria for me.

Don't worry about not having the same prices as in the Netherlands, they are not that great. Lego usually charges about 10% than in Germany. The VIP point discount is pretty marginal, usually you are better off buying from Amazon at 20-30% discount rather than the VIP discount which is about 5%.

As for the Tower Bridge deal: if it's for you personally, of course whether it's worth it is mainly up to you, but

Thanks for advice, I appreciate it. This one is for me and later (some years) when will be no space for it, for sell. So I'm OK with open set, but at reasonable price. I check sometimes Amazon or Ebay, but I can't see super deals as others see and to Slovakia we have giant delivery costs (if someone will ship it to SK).

But TRU does allow coupons after PM? or not?

I believe the consensus on here is the policy is they do NOT allow coupons after doing a PM.  Tried once and failed doing that but it comes with all of the usual caveats, YMMV, friendly cashier/manager, etc.

I tried to use a 20% off coupon while asking them to price match their own online price.  The cashier scanned the coupon and it wouldn't apply it to the transaction.  I asked once if they would allow it since they were matching their own price.  She said no, I didn't push it.  No sense in beating up the cashier over company policy :)