I Love It! Thread

exciter1

I love it when they bring back the Asian guy

Been watching this series since Day-1...as a Suby fan

and let's all face it... FF is all about Jumping the Shark...where the stakes (and car chase scenes) get higher and crazier...Love it

but I bet all the best money scenes are already in that clip

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Draft Day...Baby!

It's like Christmas for fans of the NFL...I know there's a lot of political and social BS associated w/ the NFL; but gosh darnit, I have been a fan since as old I could remember..so many great memories...I started off as a loner in Highschool (I went to the "alternative" highschool after Jr. High and didn't know anyone); anyway talking Niners was a bridge most boys could relate with so that was my in.

my handle says it all...Niners will pick Justin fields and never look back.

People on east & west coasts with tons of food options may not care for this.  But this is a great option if like me, your nearest ramen restaurant is closed permanently and you refuse to drive 1 hour each way to get below average ramen served by rude millennials:

In Costco's frozen section for $17 / pack of 6 bowls

Ajinomoto Shoyo Ramen, with Chicken, Tokyo Style

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

People on east & west coasts with tons of food options may not care for this.  But this is a great option if like me, your nearest ramen restaurant is closed permanently and you refuse to drive 1 hour each way to get below average ramen served by rude millennials:

Seriously though, what's a good shelf stable ramen or cup o noodle type item?  I walk into a Asian grocery store (H Mart or 99 Ranch Market) and really have no idea what I'm looking at or for in that aisle.

21 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

Seriously though, what's a good shelf stable ramen or cup o noodle type item?  I walk into a Asian grocery store (H Mart or 99 Ranch Market) and really have no idea what I'm looking at or for in that aisle.

It’s a little pricier, but I pick up some Samyang in Walmart from time to time. Good and spicy!

Samyang Top Two Spicy Chicken Hot Ramen Noodle Buldak Variety 10 Pack (5 Each:Hek Nuclear,Original) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WLKGF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6E6Z205DDMWPQX38R9DM

1 hour ago, Darth_Raichu said:

While in Costco, I would also pickup some Pho: https://www.costco.com/snapdragon-vietnamese-pho-bowls%2c-2.1-oz%2c-9-count.product.100509498.html Snapdragon Vietnamese Pho Bowls, 2.1 oz, 9-count.

1 hour ago, zaphoid said:

To me the ones in bigger packages are better.  The smaller packages are hit or miss.  I am not a big fan of Taiwan style (thinner noodles) or Singapore style (curry flavored), but I am sure fans of these will disagree ;)

If you like spicy, the Shin Ramyun is pretty good and easy to find.  I have seen it at some Walmarts
https://www.amazon.com/Nongshim-Gourmet-Picante-4-2-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000LQORDE

Neoguri for spicy seafood flavor:
https://www.amazon.com/NongShim-Neoguri-Noodles-Spicy-Seafood/dp/B00E9OWX0I

Costco actually carry this Tonkotsu ramen which is not bad, but I rather pay $5 more for the better frozen kind

https://www.costco.com/nongshim-tonkotsu-ramen-bowl%2C-3.56-oz%2C-6-count.product.100644452.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zaphoid said:

Nongshim Noodle Soup, Black, Pot-au-feau Flavor, Spicy, Family Pack

Being Asian, instant ramen is almost like its own food group growing up and an entree type in college... I typically go w/ Shin Ramen automatically

The "black" is about $1 more, but worth it IMO, has the extra "bone marrow" powder.

Also I am amazed at how good instant ramen noodles are.  If you know what you're doing you can achieve a very similar gumminess texture like the Ramen restaurants...I bet I could whip up a bowl using instant ramen noodles and left overs in my fridge that will blow away many $16/bowl places.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Also I am amazed at how good instant ramen noodles are.  If you know what you're doing you can achieve a very similar gumminess texture like the Ramen restaurants...I bet I could whip up a bowl using instant ramen noodles and left overs in my fridge that will blow away many $16/bowl places.

Yep. I know someone who prefers to cook his noodle dishes using instant ramen rather than yellow / egg noodles

2 hours ago, zaphoid said:

forgot to add, gotta crack a raw egg into the pot just before turning off the heat.  Stir vigorously to break the yolk.  The egg will cook in the hot broth and will provide a thickener for the broth.  If you want to go big...add a slab of butter as well.

If you want to take it to the $20/bowl level sauté some kimchee in butter, olive oil (prevents butter from burning) and fresh garlic...lots of garlic.  Once garlic is almost toasted (not burnt) it's done.  After slurping noodles, add some cold rice into the broth to really enjoy the broth.

Putting in proteins like grilled/stewed pork or chicken is over-rated IMO...ramen is all about noodles and broth...if you want a meat dish, order a meat dish.

11 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

forgot to add, gotta crack a raw egg into the pot just before turning off the heat.  Stir vigorously to break the yolk.  The egg will cook in the hot broth and will provide a thickener for the broth...

Rather than cracking a raw egg and stirring it in with the noodles, I prefer a poached egg with my instant ramen. Found out online how to do it in a microwave.

Get a cup. Fill it with 1/2 cup of water. Crack the egg into it. Place in microwave and cover with a plate. Microwave for about 1 minute (I play around with the time depending on the size of the egg), and voila, poached egg. 

Oh, and yes, the Shin Black Instant Ramen is bomb. They also come in a cup like Cup o' Noodles that Costco sells in an eight-pack for $10. The noodles that come in the cup aren't as thick as the one that comes in the package but the broth is very tasty, and I don't have to wash a pot. 

shin black.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, coelian said:

For the Shin noodles, do they tune down the spiciness? 

Since most of you are in the states, I'd recommend Ichiran. Not cheap but it's not too far off from the real deal in the ramen stores.

https://shop.ichiranusa.com/

The Shin noodles are spicy enough if you add the entire spice pack. Now the Samyang 2X Spicy that @exciter1 posted about. Those are uber-spicy. I remember those being used in the Spicy instant noodle challenge. I tried one once, and while I like spicy, it was a bit much for me and messed with my stomach a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

Rather than cracking a raw egg and stirring it in with the noodles, I prefer a poached egg with my instant ramen. Found out online how to do it in a microwave.

Get a cup. Fill it with 1/2 cup of water. Crack the egg into it. Place in microwave and cover with a plate. Microwave for about 1 minute (I play around with the time depending on the size of the egg), and voila, poached egg. 

Oh, and yes, the Shin Black Instant Ramen is bomb. They also come in a cup like Cup o' Noodles that Costco sells in an eight-pack for $10. The noodles that come in the cup aren't as thick as the one that comes in the package but the broth is very tasty, and I don't have to wash a pot. 

shin black.jpeg

warning...may be an MSG bomb

I find the instant cups too seasoned...but I guess I can always scale back pouring in the packet.

In terms of spicy...at middle age I find that I can't eat wahtever spicy willy nilly anymore...there is a price to pay (usually that evening)

I've even tempered my shiracha squirting in my Pho

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I find the instant cups too seasoned...but I guess I can always scale back pouring in the packet.

In terms of spicy...at middle age I find that I can't eat wahtever spicy willy nilly anymore...there is a price to pay (usually that evening)

Many years ago I was traveling in Korea had too much spicy food and just wanted to take it easy on the spiciness for a meal.

I told the waiter who was prepping the food to put less spice. He looked at me, said no and proceeded to empty all the chili powder into the food. 

Nowadays I've also cut down on spicy stuff, it's still nice to eat on a cold winter day though. Or maybe I should just do a cheese fondue instead.... 

• Haha 3

I find that you can use 1/3 of any of the seasoning packets and be fine. My wife uses a full packet and I just make a face at it. For an instant chicken ramen: I add NSA chicken broth and chicken or veggies or whatever in addition to the water to help

Yay LEGO!

I love spicy food. I used to think that the spicier something was, the better it was. Back in 2004 my wife and I made a trip to Jamaica to celebrate me finishing my masters degree. I loved all of the spicy foods that they served, especially the jerk chicken. Anyway, one day I was dishing up my plate at the buffet (remember those? 😂), and the server just looked at me sideways and said “Fire in, fire out...”. I found out what he meant a few hours later and have never been the same since.

My mouth has been watering for the last two days reading all of your posts about spicy ramen. I guess the moral of the story is that I should use half a packet of seasoning when I try one. 🌶 🥵 

• Like 2

Speaking of spicy food, the Thai restaurants around me have 2 scales for spiciness, for Asians & for non-Asians.  For the non Asians they would ask if you want the dish mild, medium or spicy.  For the Asians, they would ask if you want your food medium, spicy, extra spicy, or Thai hot..

:D