10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

hmmm. does make one wonder if this behavior (price increasing month before retirement especially with exclusives) might be a newer pricing agreement Lego made w/ good old B&M's online stores since it's never done in-stores.  TRU has been doing it for years.   Walmart and Target are now doing it.  I don't recall amazon.com doing it though (although they only have a virtual store).   just another thing to ponder.

Or is it just a pricing algorithm where Target looks at Amazon and prices robotically? I don't know, just theorizing.

maybe.  when sets beginning selling out and lego's inventory comes, i've been noticing online stores then jack up their prices while shop@home now has the lowest price around.  just an observation. nothing more , nothing less.

Or is it just a pricing algorithm where Target looks at Amazon and prices robotically? I don't know, just theorizing.

hmmm. does make one wonder if this behavior (price increasing month before retirement especially with exclusives) might be a newer pricing agreement Lego made w/ good old B&M's online stores since it's never done in-stores.  TRU has been doing it for years.   Walmart and Target are now doing it.  I don't recall amazon.com doing it though (although they only have a virtual store).   just another thing to ponder.

When has WM done it?

Exactly. It all depends when you get in the game. If a person has been reselling and investing for 5 years, they should have enough GE's to meet their investment needs. If they got in the game now, well, I can see people scrambling and paying more. The code might even help these members guide their decision.

I paid $300 for a MISB Green Grocer and $550 for a MISB Cafe Corner because I got in the game too late and/or didn't pay attention to non-STAR WARS sets early in my LEGO investment career. It wasn't my fault that my timing was slightly off, it's just the way it worked out, but I learned quickly and bought the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and a few other classics at reasonable prices.

Same here.

I missed the boat on a couple of sets I wanted and bought them higher than MSRP (still less than market price at the time though). As long as you pick the correct sets, you will still make money.

One of my better investments like those would be The Zombies. Bought a bunch between $90 and $113 shipped within the last yr. Been selling them over $210.

Which I could have bought sets like MS, GG, GC, Eiffel, and Taj for 2x MSRP.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• Like 1

Got my two today. Yep, 27R4. Looks like they'll be around for a bit longer.

My question is why is the set still alternating between Sold Out and Backorder, if they made a whole batch of the set? My GE that I ordered on July 9th still hasn't shipped. Anyone have any ideas?

going to be ordering a tower bridge tomorrow hopefully. But I am undecided do I get 2 grand emporiums or 1 tower bridge?? I saw the taj mahal and Eiffel tower and am hoping the tower bridge will follow like them so what do you people think would be the best option?

going to be ordering a tower bridge tomorrow hopefully. But I am undecided do I get 2 grand emporiums or 1 tower bridge?? I saw the taj mahal and Eiffel tower and am hoping the tower bridge will follow like them so what do you people think would be the best option?

You won't see Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower gains in the Tower Bridge in the same amount of time. Maybe in 5 years it will hit $800. The Lego world when the TM and ET were out and when the TB is out are very different. 

Read more of this thread

Amen.

I was going to type pretty much exactly what comicblast did until I read his post.

I don't see TB ever reaching ET, Statue of Liberty, and TajM $#s. The latter sets only were around for 2-3 years each. TB has been around so long it will be collecting Social Security soon. I also see $800 max for sealed TB sets 3-5 years after retirement unless something really drives up demand.

We also don't know when TB will retire unlike GE (educated guesses on current Lego.com behavior tells us GE is gone before Jan 2015).

In addition to so many TBs being arount, the set is "easy" to Bricklink compared to most and it isn't as popular (in reality) as ET and the Taj.

In summary of my long winded answer, buy 2 GEs.

• Like 1

As you point out, not everyone has the space and capital to slowly accumulate sets, and not everyone has been around for the entire life of the GE. For new and smaller investors who are trying to build up a portfolio and get into the game, information about a set's retirement (or non-retirement) is really useful. The scoffers are scoffing because the information isn't very useful for their situation, but that doesn't make it worthless to the entire BP community. Those who have been building up a stash of GEs for the last two years don't really care whether the set retires now or in 6 months or whatever, but the people who only have the funds to buy and hold a half dozen sets care very much. They want to maximize their profits so that they can become big fish who don't care about seal codes!

I don't think codes are without value, but LEGO most likely can change their production plans at any time(...what the Scoffers believe), so what they have done in the past might not always apply to the current sets.  I have been harping on people for over a year now to buy these large exclusives before they go EOL(...and when there is a discount like Double VIP/promo sets), so to me, the codes are not as valuable.  Eventually, we will get enough in our system to see some patterns, so that might give another clue to the future EOL dates.

Honestly. I think the simplest indicator of imminent retirement is Target raising their prices on the sets getting retired.  This has happened numerous times.  I really wish I jotted this stuff down, because I could make a better case.  Maybe some other members can chime in if they can recall sets that Target raised prices on.  I believe they did it with the Fire Brigade, SSD and GE...but there are more.

I don't think codes are without value, but LEGO most likely can change their production plans at any time(...what the Scoffers believe), so what they have done in the past might not always apply to the current sets.  I have been harping on people for over a year now to buy these large exclusives before they go EOL(...and when there is a discount like Double VIP/promo sets), so to me, the codes are not as valuable.  Eventually, we will get enough in our system to see some patterns, so that might give another clue to the future EOL dates.

Honestly. I think the simplest indicator of imminent retirement is Target raising their prices on the sets getting retired.  This has happened numerous times.  I really wish I jotted this stuff down, because I could make a better case.  Maybe some other members can chime in if they can recall sets that Target raised prices on.  I believe they did it with the Fire Brigade, SSD and GE...but there are more.

I can provide an excellent example of this. 

I'm in LA and saw a "Retiring Soon" placard on FB at a local Lego store early in the set's EOL spiral. Put on notice, I ordered a couple from Target.com using my Red Card. Within the hour I discovered that I could get a discount on three sets from a local contact, so I canceled the Target order, uncertain that I wanted to go all-in on the set. My contact failed and I only got one, so I rushed back to Target.com only to discover that they'd bumped it to $250 overnight. Literally.

Sure enough, it soon disappeared from all retailers and got the "Retired Product" tag on LEGO Shop at Home.

[shakes fist at the sky.]

I agree that the past doesn't allow us to predict the future, but we're not dealing with absolutes

• Like 2