10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

ok, a couple of months here on there... "here and there" runs out, your goal was to have 20, you have 10. Do you buy on eBay at inflated price? Do you order re-taped ones from Walmart? Do you buy at Target for 249 if suddenly a truck shows up, and no availability anywhere else? Or you say "oooooh, 27R4... I'll just sit back and relax - it sure will be available at LEGO Shop at Home for a few more months and might show up at amazon for normal price"

Just depends on what you believe the eventual value can be. I believe Ed mentioned that he was buying new/sealed GG's for $500 after it went EOL which would probably have been considered a ridiculous price at that time since it sold for $150 retail. Now look at new/sealed GG's prices. People here would fall over themselves now rushing to buy new/sealed GG's at $500.

me thinks: #10211(GE) is going to be only available via S&**** and may be few Lego stores if they put in order for it around Jan 2014.

based on my sources(of course they are not the C-suites execs we had here. so i have to take it FWIW or with a grain of salt ) likely hood of this going to any retailers is very minimal since all the requisition for their demand were already fulfilled.

this does not mean that retailers don't have some stashed to sell at inflated price ( like target is doing recently) but walmart is getting none.

Just depends on what you believe the eventual value can be. I believe Ed mentioned that he was buying new/sealed GG's for $500 after it went EOL which would probably have been considered a ridiculous price at that time since it sold for $150 retail. Now look at new/sealed GG's prices. People here would fall over themselves now rushing to buy new/sealed GG's at $500.

the key phrase "after it went EOL". Would he pay $500 knowing that it is not at EOL ?

the key phrase "after it went EOL". Would he pay $500 knowing that it is not at EOL ?

Again, it just depends if you believe it to be EOL now, how much you think it will go up and how much stock you wish to have. If I have 10 and I want and can afford 20 and I believe it's a gonna be a  monster money maker, paying $100 more now to even have the ability to make $300 later would seem to be OK. People have paid $500 for SSDs from Target/Walmart and there's still no real proof that it's EOL.

Again, it just depends if you believe it to be EOL now, how much you think it will go up and how much stock you wish to have. If I have 10 and I want and can afford 20 and I believe it's a gonna be a  monster money maker, paying $100 more now to even have the ability to make $300 later would seem to be OK. People have paid $500 for SSDs from Target/Walmart and there's still no real proof that it's EOL.

To squeeze any profit these days, you really have to time and price your entry points. GG epoch is gone...

To squeeze any profit these days, you really have to time and price your entry points. GG epoch is gone...

Yeah, making 7-8x retail is gone but it's probably still possible to do 3-4x retail. Look at FB, it's already doubled (and maybe tripled for people who bought them on sale). If FB hits $500 then people buying in at $250 are still doing OK.

Seal code is something that is sufficient for Lego to determine whether or not your set was part of "problem run" (like when entire floor is missing), so it must be related to actual "production".

Entire floor missing?  Do we happen to know the seal code of those problematic boxes? 

ok, a couple of months here on there... "here and there" runs out, your goal was to have 20, you have 10. Do you buy on eBay at inflated price? Do you order re-taped ones from Walmart? Do you buy at Target for 249 if suddenly a truck shows up, and no availability anywhere else? Or you say "oooooh, 27R4... I'll just sit back and relax - it sure will be available at s@h for a few more months and might show up at amazon for normal price"

If your goal was to have 20 and you have 10, my first question would be what have you been doing for 4 years?  There was ample opportunity to acquire these sets over that time.  If a person is new to the game, then I can understand the urgency.  I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you are that large of an investor, you really shouldn't be scrambling to locate the GE at this time.  

• Like 1

If your goal was to have 20 and you have 10, my first question would be what have you been doing for 4 years?  There was ample opportunity to acquire these sets over that time.  If a person is new to the game, then I can understand the urgency.  I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if you are that large of an investor, you really shouldn't be scrambling to locate the GE at this time.  

If we imagine a hypothetical newborn investor (not me - I am good with my inventory level, especially with my price point) who suddenly decided (thanks to a certain site) that he needs to acquire a large stash of GE, knowing that there is 27R4 I would think affects his acquisition strategy...

Exactly.  It all depends when you get in the game.  If a person has been reselling and investing for 5 years, they should have enough GE's to meet their investment needs.  If they got in the game now, well, I can see people scrambling and paying more.  The code might even help these members guide their decision.

I paid $300 for a MISB Green Grocer and $550 for a MISB Cafe Corner because I got in the game too late and/or didn't pay attention to non-STAR WARS sets early in my LEGO investment career.  It wasn't my fault that my timing was slightly off, it's just the way it worked out, but I learned quickly and bought the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal and a few other classics at reasonable prices.

But, but, but,... I have to wait for the last minute to see if someone is willing to give me 10% off, or a triple VIP event.  ;)

I think, Ed Mack, you and I have the same line of thought, if you're going to go in, think about the big picture and not nickel and dimes and end up worrying about days or weeks.  

Those that want to walk the line so closely will get burned once in a while and why bother.

Rushing to spend $499 on a SSD that you could have gotten for $399 two months earlier is short sighted (IMHO)

If we imagine a hypothetical newborn investor (not me - I am good with my inventory level, especially with my price point) who suddenly decided (thanks to a certain site) that he needs to acquire a large stash of GE, knowing that there is 27R4 I would think affects his acquisition strategy...

I know a guy that fits that profile.

Yes, I agree.  It could help those people who have just joined us, but most on here scrambling have known about the GE for years and procrastinated.  Bottom line is that if it's an important set in your investment portfolio, then buy them sooner(at a discount) than later.

I don't even know why people get so butthurt when people say the codes are useless....it's an opinion just like the opinion that the codes are useful. If you want to base your investing strategy on some numbers on a seal then fine doesn't mean I have to or think that they in anyway help. Mos and I voiced our opinion about the codes and that was it. People keep bringing it up that they are indeed useful and that's why this goes in circles. The scoffing comment is what started this up again if you noticed.

I don't even know why people get so butthurt when people say the codes are useless....it's an opinion just like the opinion that the codes are useful. If you want to base your investing strategy on some numbers on a seal then fine doesn't mean I have to or think that they in anyway help. Mos and I voiced our opinion about the codes and that was it. People keep bringing it up that they are indeed useful and that's why this goes in circles. The scoffing comment is what started this up again if you noticed.

I don't even know why people get so butthurt when people say the codes are useful... it's an opinion just like the opinion that the codes are useless.

I think you are talking about me....:)  I just purchased another GE today.  So that makes my total 3.  I would love to get more but I really don't want to stretch myself too much.....I do need to eat and put gas in my car.  If they keep pumping these out over the next 1-2 months I'll try to pick up one or two more.  If not, then it's all good.  Three is better than none.  I think I got in at the right time for this particular modular.

My mistake was not to buy more SSDs and Death Stars at $300.  I waited and lost $100 many times over.  I assumed there would be plenty of more chances...at even better prices.  Big mistake.  

I remember seeing the DS on Slickdeals for around $300 and thinking "I liked Lego as a kid, but who would spend $300 on a Lego set?"  Obviously still in my dark age, little did I know...

I remember seeing the DS on Slickdeals for around $300 and thinking "I liked Lego as a kid, but who would spend $300 on a Lego set?"  Obviously still in my dark age, little did I know...

When I saw the 10188 at $300, it was an actual TRU BOGO 50% OFF.  I said to myself....these sets will get discounted even more before EOL, so why pull the trigger?  I bought 2.  There were no limits either I believe.  $300 for that set was a deal of the century.  LOL

Yes, I picked up all of mine BOGO50. Sounds like a great deal, till I mention that I purchased them in 2012. I have traded away 4 of them :negative: