10211 - Grand Emporium

rcdb1984

And just remember, there are people who don`t care about their own credit car debt either. Rack it up, pay the interest, who cares. It`s an insane, ludicrous mentality, but people do it every day. :cheese:

The thing with going on credit card debt with lego is that if they default on their payments, the house is under the bank's name and the lego is treated as garbage. Imagine is someone has 200 sets of GE or SSD and defaults, this will get turned into garbage essentially wiping out one of our competing sellers. The eBay account shuts down, power seller gone, and GE and SSD prices skyrocket. Also hope the same person has 100 sets of the Eiffel Tower gone, then I can sell my 10 sets about $5000 a piece. I'm still waiting for that day to come. I bought 10 Eiffel Towers back then and my neighbour said I'm retarded. This is the same neighbour wanting ten sets of GE, go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

That all being said I was just trying to show potential distribution.  Not start a wealth distribution discussion.

It isn't a discussion on wealth distribution, it's understanding who your customers are and how many of them exist. The problem is even of your 313 million 90% can barely afford the necessities (making under 30k) let alone purchase secondary priced lego items. Also that number is people, not households. The average family is 2.5 kids + 2 parents, so each household is 5.5 people which reduces the 90% down by another 80%.

80% of 90% of 313 million people is your main customer base in America. Will some households buy more than one? Sure. Will some households buy none? Sure.

I am not dogging the GE, I actually love this set for retirement (well, I did. It gets harder the longer it lingers with the number of new resellers being minted on a daily basis). I still think it's got a quick $225-250 jump and then the market will determine where it goes.

I think you are the one with a warehouse right? So I know you know what you are doing. But a lot of these new guys don't think through the numbers before jumping in with both feet and this information can be misleading.

It isn't a discussion on wealth distribution, it's understanding who your customers are and how many of them exist. The problem is even of your 313 million 90% can barely afford the necessities (making under 30k) let alone purchase secondary priced lego items. Also that number is people, not households. The average family is 2.5 kids + 2 parents, so each household is 5.5 people which reduces the 90% down by another 80%.

80% of 90% of 313 million people is your main customer base in America. Will some households buy more than one? Sure. Will some households buy none? Sure.

I am not dogging the GE, I actually love this set for retirement (well, I did. It gets harder the longer it lingers with the number of new resellers being minted on a daily basis). I still think it's got a quick $225-250 jump and then the market will determine where it goes.

I think you are the one with a warehouse right? So I know you know what you are doing. But a lot of these new guys don't think through the numbers before jumping in with both feet and this information can be misleading.

New investors will find a way to talk up a stock so don't you worry. The more the better. This isn't a bubble unless lego makes another massive production run. When new investors come onboard, it becomes harder for the regular joe to get the GE. The world has 7 billion people and I doubt there are a billion people on BP. So lego has only taken a small share of the human pie. Wait till cars and electronic goods become junk, the owner of those will need to turn elsewhere for a hobby. If it ain't lego, it could be transformers.

There aren't enough GE or SSDs to feed the masses. I'm sure you have at least ten neighbours in your neighbourhood who don't have the GE. All it takes is a bit of soliciting and you've got sales going. I only solicited two of my neighbours and now I'm their supplier as they are too busy to hit toy stores. I still have an entire block of kids to talk to.

The difference between stocks and lego is with stocks, they can keep on issuing shares and diluting the value. If you think the GE run is forever until We all die, then this baby will never go over $250. EOL this year and you watch it fly to $450 in 24 months. Book it.

• Like 1

It isn't a discussion on wealth distribution, it's understanding who your customers are and how many of them exist. The problem is even of your 313 million 90% can barely afford the necessities (making under 30k) let alone purchase secondary priced lego items. Also that number is people, not households. The average family is 2.5 kids + 2 parents, so each household is 5.5 people which reduces the 90% down by another 80%.

Tonys - fair comments.  I certainly am not trying to get those who are green to the process to dump mindlessly into buying GE's.

Just like with stocks, they should think carefully about what they can afford to invest, what they can afford to lose, and not take anything for granted.

There was quite a negative batch of sentiment on GE returns and I was trying to cheer up those who may have been down on decisions they already made.

I think it is a great investment, but people should think about their own investment opportunity and risks and personal situation.

As I mentioned earlier genuinely for some people passbook savings is the best approach.  It all depends on the situation.

New investors will find a way to talk up a stock so don't you worry. The more the better. This isn't a bubble unless lego makes another massive production run. When new investors come onboard, it becomes harder for the regular joe to get the GE. The world has 7 billion people and I doubt there are a billion people on BP. So lego has only taken a small share of the human pie. Wait till cars and electronic goods become junk, the owner of those will need to turn elsewhere for a hobby. If it ain't lego, it could be transformers.

There aren't enough GE or SSDs to feed the masses. I'm sure you have at least ten neighbours in your neighbourhood who don't have the GE. All it takes is a bit of soliciting and you've got sales going. I only solicited two of my neighbours and now I'm their supplier as they are too busy to hit toy stores. I still have an entire block of kids to talk to.

The difference between stocks and lego is with stocks, they can keep on issuing shares and diluting the value. If you think the GE run is forever until We all die, then this baby will never go over $250. EOL this year and you watch it fly to $450 in 24 months. Book it.

Like your positive attitude!

Tonys - fair comments. I certainly am not trying to get those who are green to the process to dump mindlessly into buying GE's.

Just like with stocks, they should think carefully about what they can afford to invest, what they can afford to lose, and not take anything for granted.

There was quite a negative batch of sentiment on GE returns and I was trying to cheer up those who may have been down on decisions they already made.

I think it is a great investment, but people should think about their own investment opportunity and risks and personal situation.

As I mentioned earlier genuinely for some people passbook savings is the best approach. It all depends on the situation.

Buying GE is not like buying stocks. Stocks can plummet. If you got the GE at $150, if it drops below that, then you worry as you are stuck with a loser. You are guaranteed $150 minimum. If any of you are scared, I'll be glad to take all of your holdings at cost price. I wouldn't do that with stocks.

Buying GE is not like buying stocks. Stocks can plummet. If you got the GE at $150, if it drops below that, then you worry as you are stuck with a loser. You are guaranteed $150 minimum. If any of you are scared, I'll be glad to take all of your holdings at cost price. I wouldn't do that with stocks.

Not me, thank you.  Like my original posts, I'm all in.  Think it will have a great return.  Not looking back.  Just trying to decide on long term FB appreciation.  Do I unload this Christmas or wait for the next wave of $300 resellers to clear out... :)

• Like 1

I find it strange how people are scared of buying the GE at retail. eBay shows $230 shipped. So if you're scared, dump it all at a lower price. Make your 10-15% gain and move on. No shares out there guarantees this sort of a return.

I just dropped two pay cheques on SSDs last month. I'm not crying. Even if I let them sit for a year, worse case, I sell at cost and call it a bad investment. I've lost way more in stocks in 2008 than spending on lego. I watched my portfolio go from $800,000 to $600,000 in a month. If I spent $800,000 on lego, I'm sure to get at least $900,000 back from SSDs. Can't guarantee anything with properties or shared. One crisis and everyone loses their home.

• Like 2

Not me, thank you. Like my original posts, I'm all in. Think it will have a great return. Not looking back. Just trying to decide on long term FB appreciation. Do I unload this Christmas or wait for the next wave of $300 resellers to clear out... :)

You wait for the next wave.

I got FB, CC and GE. Sold some while I keep buying back when the GE pops up. Don't unload everything. If you got good inventory, you can rotate other sets like technic and a bunch of dolphin cruisers.

The best way to do it is you go long on the big ones, and short term on fast moving small sets. Unexpected gathering when on sale is another to rotate in and out. Every three weeks, there is bound to be some BOGO and random deals so land those to cash in short term.

Just trying to decide on long term FB appreciation. Do I unload this Christmas or wait for the next wave of $300 resellers to clear out... :)

When sets retire, it's common to retain them for at least 2 years from he retired month, in these cases, the majority if the set's ROI comes in the 1st two years and lower appreciation. It's similar to depreciation of assets but we are talking about positive gains instead of negative.

I'll give you an example.. If you bought one 9465 The Zombies set. Retail was $40. It appreciated to $120 after one year. 300% gain. Then it increased from $120 to $200 currently in year 2 (5 more more months left to complete the 2nd yr) so it increased another 66% Let's predict it will increase only another 10% in year 3. You'll prob want to sell the sell during year 3 since that money can be used on another investment to net you higher than 10% ROI.

There are exceptions to the 2 yr rule of thumb.

Honestly, I think more and more exceptions are coming each passing year since 2013 due to faster refreshes / remakes. Many people feel the 2012 released Hulk and Capt America sets have somewhat peaked due to their "similar" sets released earlier this yr. this is also a problem usually investing in City. Up until 2013, this wasn't a main problem in Lego licensed investing since 3-6 years usually passed before a refresh arrived (e.g.many versions of H.Potter trains, SW Sandcrawlers).

There are also exceptions for keeping sets longer than 2 years. Some sets like 10179, 7888, most recent Harry Potter Castle and train, most UCS SW, Taj Mahal, and Grand Carousal keeping increasing nicely even after the 3rd year of retirement so holding them makes sense as conservative investments. If I can sit on some sets that I adore and still make 25% each year, I'm happy with that. I like to think of these sets as my safe (and boring) high yielding bond investments. I'm sure you won't find too many original 10179 owners complaining about holding on to their sets after all these years :)

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

@jaisonline.... I agree with your comments especially regarding CITY which is why I've dumped over 500 CITY sets at break-even or a loss. It's a very poor performing theme in the UK. One word of warning with the GE.... all 27 that I bought from Amazon Spain in 2012 for 30% off had 3rd floor parts missing. I found out by opening one to build and found bags missing. I then weighed the boxes and they were all about 150g underweight compared to one I bought at John Lewis which was complete. Amazon allowed me to return all 27 at their cost and replaced them with 9 (all they had available) from the next batch and refunded the other 18 along with a

I think all the talk of average returns or lack of interest in the GE is humerous.  I put up a Brick Trader advert just the other day offering sets including King's Castle Seige(7094) which jumped $200 in value in the course of last month alone, SSD, Unimog, Rare Halo Forward Unto Dawn Ship, Shelob attacks, and 41999 all new sets in box and good condition, and I have no bites whatsoever.  So this tells me three possible scenarios are occuring. Either #1, that everyone who has GE wants to hold onto them, even at the expense of not trading for already retired sets that have been increasing in value at a good pace because they believe it's retiring and will shoot up in value.  #2 That most people on these forums don't have any money to spend or ship, or have already spent everything they can, they can't even afford to trade. #3 Those with rarer or valuable sets are only looking for older retired sets.

s.

Or it could be because you are not offering a trade benefit both sides. What's the value you put on your sets and GE? If you put current market values on your sets and $150 for GE, then you are basically cashing out on previous investment and putting them on new retiring sets. Good for you but what's in it for the other party.

• Like 2

Even if for some odd reason the American dollar crashes no more interest in lego w.e. it may be at least you'll still have something if you can't sell. With stocks you get nithing to keep but bad memories. I'm a collector so I'm not afraid to get stuck with what I own.

The GE was the #1 top seller today on Lego Shop at Home USA. I ordered 1, and they are sold out again. That was about an hour ago.

How do you find out what is selling on LEGO Shop at Home? I'm a little perplexed if GE was the top seller today - I placed an order a few days ago and by the time I checked out, the unit said "sold out." My order is on hold while they wait to get more in stock. If it was the top seller, I should have a couple in the mail...

Click on shop, look over to the right, and click on see all top selling items. GE caught my eye as #1, so lego brought a few back for sale today. I must have grabbed the last one. It was back to sold out status after I checked out.

For the last week, ge at LEGO Shop at Home was switching between "ship date" and "sold out" about 10 times within a day. I finally had to turn off my status tracker because of all those transitions. Each time it was at "ship date", it was possible to place orders. Obviosly people did, so it went up to top spot. Death star is making it up there as well

Is is official that there is a significant weight difference between GE sets from 2013 and the newly produced ones from 2014 say 25S4? I believe the new ones are more than 50 grams lighter.

We should be all good w/ our newer produced sets directly from Lego .  If we ordered from any other online retailer, I would be more concerned as the GE seems to have sat in some warehouses for a while.

Like others have stated, we need to compare our seal codes against known ones w/ the missing floor.