Built sets retaining value

Good morning everyone, new to the forum here, and relatively new to the LEGO game, approx 2 years. Have a bunch of sets that are built and a bunch unbuilt. After doing some research I see that even some built sets, if you have the box, and instructions can still be worth some money. I’m just trying to get an idea if these built sets truly do retain some value, or am I just building and displaying for fun?

thanks in advanced! 

16 minutes ago, Cole.mercer said:

Good morning everyone, new to the forum here, and relatively new to the LEGO game, approx 2 years. Have a bunch of sets that are built and a bunch unbuilt. After doing some research I see that even some built sets, if you have the box, and instructions can still be worth some money. I’m just trying to get an idea if these built sets truly do retain some value, or am I just building and displaying for fun?

thanks in advanced! 

Most themed sets still retain good value. I've sold many for profit after being displayed or played with for years.  The biggest thing is inventorying the minifigures and parts before sale.

I've been buying and selling used sets for a few years now.  Used sets generally track it's New counterpart. For example for modulars, there is a strong correlation like Brick Bank used goes for $400-$450 whereas new Is $700-$800. Licensed or theme sets maintain value well like exciter1 stated.

The original manual and box adds value (especially when trying to sell); it makes the set seem more legit.

No used set is ever 100% complete...

When taking it apart to resell, consider going in reverse booklet order and pack the pieces in numbered bags like the original.  Not only is a great way to check for missing pieces, but also builds loyalty with buyers...if you did a great job they will come back and purchase from you over others.

MFs are always the most important and i always check them first after purchasing a used set.

dealing in the used market has pro and cons, some key pros are more room for negotiation and lax overall.

As a vintage set collector I go through a ton of used sets.   Bricklink inventories are my go to standard for running through a used sets.  I first break the set down then run through the inventory lining the bricks up in front of me line by line.  If I can't find a piece I move on.  Then when the pile of pieces is more manageable I go through again to double verify the inventory and if pieces are truly missing, I go pull them from my loose pieces.  Any piece I don't have on hand, I write those down on a 3x5 note card that goes in the bag with the pieces.  The front of the card has set name, number, year and theme.

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

When taking it apart to resell, consider going in reverse booklet order and pack the pieces in numbered bags like the original.  Not only is a great way to check for missing pieces, but also builds loyalty with buyers...if you did a great job they will come back and purchase from you over others.

Never.  If a buyer wants the fresh build experience then they need to buy new. When I sell a used set I take several pictures of it built and then disassemble as easy as possible for me. I sell used sets as is. I have a full time job and reselling is just to pay for my addiction. 

• Like 2