What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 3 years later...
29 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

But you are in the minority with your opinion. RRP doesn’t even matter anymore. Almost every LEGO set will be available, in bulk online, at 30% off. We are even seeing 40-55% becoming common. So the lowest widely available price should generally be the starting point IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

If post-EOL performance is not interesting anymore, why is everyone talking about sets' potential any longer?

19 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Wouldn't arbitrage be the ultimate quick flip. ie: buying quantities and selling quantities at the same time.

In academic econ, yes. In real world application it's just profiting from price differentials between markets (or even the same market at a different time).

10 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

If post-EOL performance is not interesting anymore, why is everyone talking about sets' potential any longer?

Because EOL still signals when retail availability and pricing no longer set the market. Even 50% off RRP isn't much of a buy-in if retailers are still actively selling for 20-30% off.

Edited by mizeur
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Post-EOL performance is very interesting.  But the goal posts have moved, and RRP is no longer the baseline.  Constant 30% discounting has determined the real value of the sets during production is not RRP, but instead some other number between 20-55% off.  It makes more sense to use the number most reseller inventory was purchased at instead of the number TLG decided upon.  

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

I think we're having 2 different arguments here:
1. Tabby proclaimed Dr.Who to be "not a turkey", to which Frank B. made the (IMHO correct) callout claiming that getting barely over RRP after 2 years still classifies a set as a Turkey.
2. Everyone else then jumped in to call Tabby's investment a winner, because he turned 22GBP into 60GBP in 2 years.

I think Tabby's sale was indeed a winner (and indicative of the "new" LEGO investing), while at the same time, if what Tabby sold it for is a good indication of market value, the Ideas Dr.Who set is a turkey as per Frank's point, because people's expectations were much higher (should have at least made it to 2xRRP).

I think the real issue is whether or not RRP is the measure of success, and Tabby is a poor example.  He routinely sells for cash, in bulk, at prices well below market value.  While he sold it for more than 20% over the 50 GBP RRP, it was cash with no shipping or fees, meaning he saved another 20-30% over online selling, putting him more in line with 1.5x RRP.  Still low, but considering the good Doctor is threatening 2x RRP FBA in America, I'd say it is doing just fine.  Even better considering it was a Lego Store doorbuster at $30 and evergreen at $42-45, anyone who bought them will make more than double their money.  If you want to see a "turkey", Harley Quinn to the Rescue is the correct answer.  Even purchased at $8 during Target post-Christmas clearance, this set stinks out loud.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

I think we're having 2 different arguments here:
1. Tabby proclaimed Dr.Who to be "not a turkey", to which Frank B. made the (IMHO correct) callout claiming that getting barely over RRP after 2 years still classifies a set as a Turkey.
2. Everyone else then jumped in to call Tabby's investment a winner, because he turned 22GBP into 60GBP in 2 years.

I think Tabby's sale was indeed a winner (and indicative of the "new" LEGO investing), while at the same time, if what Tabby sold it for is a good indication of market value, the Ideas Dr.Who set is a turkey as per Frank's point, because people's expectations were much higher (should have at least made it to 2xRRP).

Turkey comment correctly called imo, but Dr Who was always going to be a winner at the buy-in. I went deep as well and for 2018 its been my best seller along with Ecto-1, Beatles and Wall-e. All easily obtainable from Tesco/Asda/TRU prior to EOL with big discounts and/or 342. 

Against rrp not great, against buy-in - plenty of profit. All small and easy to ship. 

Guest TabbyBoy
11 hours ago, roxio said:

Turkey comment correctly called imo, but Dr Who was always going to be a winner at the buy-in. I went deep as well and for 2018 its been my best seller along with Ecto-1, Beatles and Wall-e. All easily obtainable from Tesco/Asda/TRU prior to EOL with big discounts and/or 342. 

Against rrp not great, against buy-in - plenty of profit. All small and easy to ship. 

We're now in an era of retail arbitrage and buy-in is now more important than ever. In the Golden Era, many sets sold for multiples of RRP,  this is now rarely the case. I remember way back on here when people said, "Any LEGO at 50% off is a definite buy" - not when it's Star Wars or a CITY rehash.

I'm not even thinking about selling my Ecto-1, Wall-E or Beatles yet as there's a lot of growth to come with these IMHO - much bigger fan bases than Doctor Who. The great thing about these sets is that you only need one size of box (400x250x100mm) which is a small parcel and easy to get under 1KG for First Class post.

If somebody on here wants to sell their Doctor Who to me for £30 each posted, I'll take them all.

13 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I think the real issue is whether or not RRP is the measure of success, and Tabby is a poor example.  He routinely sells for cash, in bulk, at prices well below market value.  While he sold it for more than 20% over the 50 GBP RRP, it was cash with no shipping or fees, meaning he saved another 20-30% over online selling, putting him more in line with 1.5x RRP.  Still low, but considering the good Doctor is threatening 2x RRP FBA in America, I'd say it is doing just fine.  Even better considering it was a Lego Store doorbuster at $30 and evergreen at $42-45, anyone who bought them will make more than double their money.  If you want to see a "turkey", Harley Quinn to the Rescue is the correct answer.  Even purchased at $8 during Target post-Christmas clearance, this set stinks out loud.

20% after 2 years = 10% per annum, put precisely.

13 hours ago, roxio said:

Dr Who was always going to be a winner at the buy-in.

As I mentioned before, the whole debate about past or future "winners" and "losers" becomes completely random and pointless if everybody bases his assessment on his personal (done or anticipated) buy-in...

...To be illustrated by this fictional example: "I bought all of my Jack Stone sets with VIP points only. And since I got them for free, I was able to sell everything with a good profit. So for me Jack Stone is a real winner theme!" - I hope you get my point.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Y'all may think I sell too cheap sometimes. Remember that bulk shifting for cash is zero work compared to listing/packing/queueing/posting/feedback. I'd rather shift 50 boxes for £5 profit each than process 10 for £25 each. Time is money and always has been for me. Oh... less long term storage too...

Guest TabbyBoy

A detect a lot of jealously and oneupmanship on this thread, does it really matter what somebody bought and sold a set for? I'm happy with my effort/profit ratio, that's all that matters.

7 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

A detect a lot of jealously and oneupmanship on this thread, does it really matter what somebody bought and sold a set for? I'm happy with my effort/profit ratio, that's all that matters.

If you are referring to be, please just quote me, so I know. I for my part just want to make sure everybody gets his numbers straight und precise. If we're comparing apples and oranges here, this thread can as well be closed.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

18 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

As I mentioned before, the whole debate about past or future "winners" and "losers" becomes completely random and pointless if everybody bases his assessment on his personal (done or anticipated) buy-in...

I agree that we can't just accept one time amazing deals as a reference point. However, using 42056 (Technic 911 GT3RS) as an example, this has been almost constantly available at around £180 in the UK (versus RRP of £260). While lower prices have been seen, this price point has been so common that I feel it would be silly using anything higher as a reference point.

8 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I agree that we can't just accept one time amazing deals as a reference point. However, using 42056 (Technic 911 GT3RS) as an example, this has been almost constantly available at around £180 in the UK (versus RRP of £260). While lower prices have been seen, this price point has been so common that I feel it would be silly using anything higher as a reference point.

I see what you mean in principle, but wouldn't setting artificial reference points overcomplicate things even more? RRP is a natural reference point everybody can universally relate to. Of course the RRP of an exclusive has another significance than the RRP of a Technic set - but everyone knows this, so a theme's "built-in discount factor" is already incorporated in the numbers someone posts and everybody can interpret the numbers for himself.

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

If you are referring to be, please just quote me, so I know. I for my part just want to make sure everybody gets his numbers straight und precise. If we're comparing apples and oranges here, this thread can as well be closed.

Not at all, I didn't direct this at anybody or intend to cause offence (offense), I use PM if my cage is rattled ?

Perhaps we should use the average typical selling price available to all as a baseline? Apart from SaH, I've not seen The Technic Porsche GT3 (or most sets for that matter) sold for even close to RRP.

20% after 2 years = 10% per annum, put precisely.

I guess we will just ignore every other part of my post where I point out how absolutely useless RRP is as a starting point. Cool mathing, bro.

And to your VIP points nonsense and the $2 argument, it’s easily accessible price that can be bought in quantities, which anyone who pays attention to this hobby can easily tell you for any set/theme their tracking.

5 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

I guess we will just ignore every other part of my post where I point out how absolutely useless RRP is as a starting point. Cool mathing, bro.

And to your VIP points nonsense and the $2 argument, it’s easily accessible price that can be bought in quantities, which anyone who pays attention to this hobby can easily tell you for any set/theme their tracking.

I ignored everything else you wrote here, because I said a lot referrring to this in other posts. The math is correct by the way. The growth percentage always refers to the price you start with. If you give a growth percentage after 2 years (20%) with no other (monthly) data at hand and want to make it comparable to the growth of sets after 1 year, you divide the 2-year growth by 2. What else would you wanna do?

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

My 75119 Jyn Erso Buildables were real winners, that set is not a turkey, because I bought 30 of them for $2 each, and sold the lot for $200 after shipping and fees.

Everyone agree that 75119 is a winner?

My point , however many pages ago, says we need to look at actual pricing and widely available pricing. ie: year long 20% off. Of course we aren't going to use an 80% off price point like 75119, to make any rational decision about a set because a few people got in at that level.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

We're now in an era of retail arbitrage and buy-in is now more important than ever. In the Golden Era, many sets sold for multiples of RRP,  this is now rarely the case. I remember way back on here when people said, "Any LEGO at 50% off is a definite buy" - not when it's Star Wars or a CITY rehash.

I'm not even thinking about selling my Ecto-1, Wall-E or Beatles yet as there's a lot of growth to come with these IMHO - much bigger fan bases than Doctor Who. The great thing about these sets is that you only need one size of box (400x250x100mm) which is a small parcel and easy to get under 1KG for First Class post.

If somebody on here wants to sell their Doctor Who to me for £30 each posted, I'll take them all.

Sure, i'm not liking the £60 Who is going for, take them all for £30 please ?

I ignored everything else you wrote here, because I said a lot referrring to this in other posts. The math is correct by the way. The growth percentage always refers to the price you start with. If you give a growth percentage after 2 years (20%) with no other (monthly) data at hand and want to make it comparable to the growth of sets after 1 year, you divide the 2-year growth by 2. What else would you wanna do?

Your execution is fine. Your underlying data is flawed. The £22 buy-in was a fairly common price in the UK (IIRC, I’m in the US), so try that as a starting point. Run that through your VERY complicated mathing and see if it comes out a little better. Or just miss the point entirely again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Your execution is fine. Your underlying data is flawed. The £22 buy-in was a fairly common price in the UK (IIRC, I’m in the US), so try that as a starting point. Run that through your VERY complicated mathing and see if it comes out a little better. Or just miss the point entirely again.

Referring to RRP makes things comparable (when talking about winner sets and loser sets). If everybody use their own reference prices (when talking about winner sets or loser sets), no one can compare anything anymore. So, I dont miss your point. I just think you're wrong.