What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Referring to RRP makes things comparable (when talking about winner sets and loser sets).

It would, if there weren't episodes of RRP being too high at release, forcing retailers to discount immediately to generate sales. There have been many sets released, where people use the phrase "That's not a $60 set" or "That's more like a $** set". So, when the adjustment comes at the retail level to sell more, discounts pop up. It's similar to car manufacturers having to offer huge discounts on certain models because no one is willing to pay MSRP.

I get it's easier to compare sets when using original retail pricing, but it's much more complicated.

• Like 1

It would, if there weren't episodes of RRP being too high at release, forcing retailers to discount immediately to generate sales. There have been many sets released, where people use the phrase "That's not a $60 set" or "That's more like a $** set". So, when the adjustment comes at the retail level to sell more, discounts pop up. It's similar to car manufacturers having to offer huge discounts on certain models because no one is willing to pay MSRP.
I get it's easier to compare sets when using original retail pricing, but it's much more complicated.

Why let the market determine the value of a set while in production when you can use the fantasy number that isn’t even used by Walmart in most brand new sets? Let’s use the arbitrary number set by LEGO and just move this conversation to the bubble thread, because LEGO investing is clearly over

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, mizeur said:

That's self refuting. Even if objective, universal comparison was important, RRP is as arbitrary a starting point as anything else if the bulk of resale purchases are occurring below it.

MSRP is the least arbitrary starting point since that is literally what the set starts at. I don't know what other price the bulk of purchases are occurring at since there are thousands of reference points. There's only one MSRP.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

MSRP is the least arbitrary starting point since that is literally what the set starts at. I don't know what other price the bulk of purchases are occurring at since there are thousands of reference points. There's only one MSRP.

You already said no resellers are buying at MSRP. That eliminates its usefulness for anyone not buying wholesale and selling at retail. It doesn't matter if there's only 1 MSRP if it's a fantasy number. Bad data is worse than no data.

We have historical price data available for Amazon, Walmart and Target prices are available via API, and we have clearance threads for the rock bottom prices. It requires some effort to pull together but we have all the tools we need to not rely on prices resellers aren't paying.

But then, the flawed assumption was that what matters is a universal measure of performance in the first place. Which is really an argument that requires some justification given how much variability there is across markets, buying and selling alike. We don't have a Blue Book to smooth pricing.

Edited by mizeur
  • Like 1

Referring to RRP makes things comparable (when talking about winner sets and loser sets). If everybody use their own reference prices (when talking about winner sets or loser sets), no one can compare anything anymore. So, I dont miss your point. I just think you're wrong.

Just bought more RRP stuff today.
  • Haha 1

I sold 2x Changing Seasons this week at 69.99 FBA. I picked these up in early 2016 just as I got started as a BP'er at around $30 each from Kmart naively thinking they would be instant winners at retirement; however, they never really took off like I expected and I'm just happy to have the money and space back after nearly a 3 year hold, even if I barely made $10 after taxes and fees. That said, they have exploded in the past couple of days. I sold mine on Monday after the price had languished in the $50s for months - now there is ONE FBA listing at $99. I should have paid better attention to the stock levels!

I sold another "lesson learned" set this week as well - I picked up a 75094 IST for $82 off Amazon in January of 2016 because I was new, excited to buy some sets, thought it looked cool, and most importantly, because I saw someone post about it here as a "good deal". Well, if you've been around long enough you know that these were had by many for well below that before it was done, and it has yet to really take off. Glad to have it off the shelf at $150 FBA even if it only netted me a pre-tax $35 profit after again a nearly 3 year hold. Its a good reminder to folks who are new that not everything that gets posted here is worth buying (though plenty of it is, thanks BP'ers as always for the great tips!)

• Like 1

I am a small time reseller by any measure, but for the past 60 days I've been packing 2 to 4 boxes on average per day, just so I don't get overwhelmed with sales. Today, I finally ran out of shipping boxes. I'm happy, thrilled to have sold so much. I am also crying as I use a drywall square and box cutter to cut sheets of scrap cardboard into boxes. 

Current mood:

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
9 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I am a small time reseller by any measure, but for the past 60 days I've been packing 2 to 4 boxes on average per day, just so I don't get overwhelmed with sales. Today, I finally ran out of shipping boxes. I'm happy, thrilled to have sold so much. I am also crying as I use a drywall square and box cutter to cut sheets of scrap cardboard into boxes. 

Current mood:

giphy.gif

That's probably 120 hours of work. Assuming the average of $25/hour, you should've made $3000. Something tells me that's not even close ?

Packing is a right pain in the arse for me which is why I like to shift in bulk and unpacked with smaller margins. If I do have to pack, I make sure that I have the correct size box made that allows 2 layers of bubble-wrap around the set for a perfect fit.

That's probably 120 hours of work. Assuming the average of $25/hour, you should've made $3000. Something tells me that's not even close
Packing is a right pain in the arse for me which is why I like to shift in bulk and unpacked with smaller margins. If I do have to pack, I make sure that I have the correct size box made that allows 2 layers of bubble-wrap around the set for a perfect fit.

Naw. I generally use left over amazon packaging. Hasn’t been an issue until last night. It takes me at most 20 minutes to wrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

I sold over 40 Fire Stations over the last few days @ $110 and remaining 10 @ $120 , both with $24.97 shipping. I didn't know they were going to be so hot. Bought all of them for $50+tax at Walmarts few months back.

Sold last one today for $130 + shipping

Edited by siddji
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

It takes you 30 mins to pack each package, really?

I take it this is your packing style :thumbsu:

1487863034-giphy.gif

Well, if you had to build each box for each order, yikes! It certainly can. I did that for a couple orders (a few years back) and DECLARED OUT LOUD for all to hear: "I will NEVER run out of boxes of the appropriate sizes AGAIN. If I DO, I will GO TO A STORE and PAY A PREMIUM for what they have on hand."

• Like 3

1 hour ago, siddji said:

I sold over 40 Fire Stations over the last few days @ $110 and remaining 10 @ $120 , both with $24.97 shipping. I didn't know they were going to be so hot. Bought all of them for $50+tax at Walmarts few months back.

Sold last one today for $130 + shipping

I flipped a couple too.  There was a nice immediate profit on those.  I sold out a few weeks ago ... and then my son, who doesn't bother with LEGO much anymore, asked for a LEGO Fire Station for Christmas. GMAFB

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I flipped a couple too.  There was a nice immediate profit on those.  I sold out a few weeks ago ... and then my son, who doesn't bother with LEGO much anymore, asked for a LEGO Fire Station for Christmas. GMAFB

Maybe he meant the Winter Village one?

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

If you haven't found a better option, I've got a beat up copy with questionable seals left I can offer for below market.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrickLegacy said:

He meant City but I did try and convince him the new winter one was cool ... he didn't bite.

I just built mine, it is the best Winter set released thus far IMO. Lots of detail.

You could just lie and say you will get him the non-existant Heartlake Fire Station since he loves Friends so much...

• Like 1