What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 4 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Always make sure that you pay the correct fee for the weight/size/value of an item. In the UK, the Royal Mail occasionally lets an item through if it's very slightly over, I think it's about 5%, but don't make a habit of it. A lot of couriers use automated systems with zero tolerance and simply reject incorrectly priced parcels, sometimes resulting in long delays and a risk of it going AWOL. It's shame that most weight thresholds are 2KG as a lot of my sets weigh 2.2KG when packaged (eg. 60124 Volcano)  - Of course, it'll cost well over 10% more ;-(

I will NEVER cut corners (pardon pun) when packing an item to get it within the correct weight/size. The risk of damage or loss just isn't worth it for a couple of quid. Even when I sell through eBay's GSP, I put the EXACT measurements and weight of a packaged item in the listing. Few things piss off a customer more than having them pay excess postage and then give you negative feedback for the privilege. I'd probably not have over 25,000 feedbacks at 100% otherwise!

13 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

I haven't tried Letgo, but my overall impression as a buyer on a number of the Lego sets for sale on Offer Up is a bit scary. There's little to no description on a lot of what is offered and a number of sellers use it like FB marketplace and post a massive image of Lego sets boxed or loose with a note like "message for price., too many to list." It seems like the wild west of resale with a number five finger discount sellers who'd be banned on any other platform.

I have not tried Offer Up or Letgo yet, but have had some success selling on FB Marketplace.  Craigslist has been hit or miss for me. 

What I like about FB Marketplace is the instant messenger feature, meaning I can get lowball offers, no follow-up when I reply to is it available questions, the proverbial sound of crickets when I offer to meet at a place other than my home for pick-up and silence to my counteroffers much faster without having to check e-mail. And at least I know if the potential buyer has or has not read my messages to them though.

Despite my sarcasm, I do like the site and have sold many non-Lego items using it.  :)

• Haha 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, mauro23 said:

There is only one UCS turd - Sandcrawler, the reason was that this was the time of LEGO "being" better investment than gold. One year later a lot if people noticed that this is by far not true and quit the game...

2015 was my worst year ever investing wise...

I can only think of one fairly recent UCS that wasn't a turd, the 10221 SSD ?  Most other UCS have performed dismally in recent years which is why I now avoid them like the plague, unless at -50% which just doesn't happen in the UK.

2017 was my worst year but, 2018 is looking better due to me insisting on huge discounts.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Captain_chaos said:

Sold a 75098 Assault on Hoth for £300. Paid £150 for it last Jan from LEGO Shop at Home. So much for being a turd.

Discounts aside, you'll have only broken even after fees and P&P if you bought at RRP. Therefore, it IS a turd in my book - sorry ?

I remember the 10221 SDD reaching 2x RRP nearly straight out of the trap, we'll not see this again unless it's a superb totally new set, exclusive to LEGO at limit 1 and perhaps one other retailer also with a strict limit.

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

Discounts aside, you'll have only broken even after fees and P&P if you bought at RRP. Therefore, it IS a turd in my book - sorry ?

I remember the 10221 SDD reaching 2x RRP nearly straight out of the trap, we'll not see this again unless it's a superb totally new set, exclusive to LEGO at limit 1 and perhaps one other retailer also with a strict limit.

A true turd is a set which still makes little / no money even after large discounts, like 75150 and 75140. I've been suffering from constipation, unable to get rid of those, ever since I got them. Thankfully eBay are throwing out £1 FVFs like confetti at the moment.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

A true turd is a set which still makes little / no money even after large discounts, like 75150 and 75140. I've been suffering from constipation, unable to get rid of those, ever since I got them. Thankfully eBay are throwing out £1 FVFs like confetti at the moment.

Good sumerization confirming my statement above...

Guest TabbyBoy
20 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

It sums up Star Wars IMHO, which is why I go nowhere near it, it's all crap as far as I'm concerned.

I'll forecast another UCS turd, 75060 Slave I? It's been out for far too long and has never (I think) been sold out anywhere. I bought 2 at £130 each and soon regretted it.

It's a shame thet the £1 FVF is always for Private Sellers only, even though it's Business Sellers that make eBay the most money. The worst thing about the £1 FVF, is the huge increase in competition and QFLLs and I think you may be better off selling at a time with no offers. Do you notice a drop in prices during £1 FVF?

Edited by TabbyBoy

1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

i let nostalgia get to me when i bought a ton of 75150.  I was playing xwing and tie fighter on the pc when i was a kid in the 90s... i still have some tie defenders around here somewhere...

Edited by vexxet

6 minutes ago, vexxet said:

i let nostalgia get to me when i bought a ton of 75150.  I was playing xwing and tie fighter on the pc when i was a kid in the 90s... i still have some tie defenders around here somewhere...

Same here on those flight sims. I enjoyed explaining what defenders were to my son when they appeared on Rebels

1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

I'm so glad I only got two of each of those sets. One 75150 I got a very steep discount, and I could get rid of it with profit in my books. The other one, and both 75140 sets, are just dead weight. Can't get red of them, even for 50% of RRP that I got them for myself. 

Have a lot more Star Wars sets that just I can't sell at my minimum desired ROI of 50% of buy-in.  

My recent sales were Elves, Friends, and Nexo Knights. Picked a few good sets and got them at the right buy-in.

Guest TabbyBoy
41 minutes ago, Haay said:

I'm so glad I only got two of each of those sets. One 75150 I got a very steep discount, and I could get rid of it with profit in my books. The other one, and both 75140 sets, are just dead weight. Can't get red of them, even for 50% of RRP that I got them for myself. 

Have a lot more Star Wars sets that just I can't sell at my minimum desired ROI of 50% of buy-in.  

My recent sales were Elves, Friends, and Nexo Knights. Picked a few good sets and got them at the right buy-in.

I can honest say that Star Wars is by far the worst theme to invest in, even with large discounts. It seems like everybody is now bored with this lacklustre theme, not just us. Do what I did, bite the bullet and just get rid, even at a small loss. I felt so much better once I got rid of mine. Even with all the SSDs and R2-D2s that I had, it was a lot of work to make peanuts - never again. Even great looking sets like the orange and blue X-Wings are now looking at failure. Even the 75105 MF is starting to tank lately on eBay UK (well below RRP now) after its initial spike. The Kessel Run monstrosity has no hope.

I feel sorry for those that were conned into buying a 75192 MF hoping that the black VIP card would reap rewards. So far, it's failed to deliver and I'd rather get an easy £100 off if I was to buy one now, which I won't.

Elves has been pure gold for me over the last couple of years. It's not just the profit, I think it's a great refreshing theme that LEGO desperately needed. "There be dragons" and great box art, what more do you want?

LEGO.... you're producing utter crap and too much of it! Time to can the Star Wars licence.... please!!!

Edited by TabbyBoy

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I can honest say that Star Wars is by far the worst theme to invest in, even with large discounts... Even the 75105 MF is starting to tank lately on eBay UK (well below RRP now) after its initial spike. The Kessel Run monstrosity has no hope.

I have to disagree about 75105. It was extremely easy to get at ~£65, and sells in large quantities at £120 +. It may not be amazing, but a consistent profit of at least £35 each (usually more) with no problem at all selling them means anybody with large quantities of them did just fine.  I've been selling mine with £1 FVFs so I'm getting over £45 profit for each (I've sold 3 and have 2 left).

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Do you notice a drop in prices during £1 FVF?

It depends on the set. For rarer retired sets it doesn't make any difference. It does increase the competition for the hoarded sets, but I don't think the prices drop by as much as is saved by the £1 FVF.

54 minutes ago, Sozial said:

Well I bought some for 35 Euro and got rid for of them for 95 Euro last XMAS. It is not so bad as you are all claiming. 

They sell on eBay for £50 - £55. With a buy-in of £40, that's almost no profit at all unless you get fee promotions. Even then, it's pretty pathetic for something we've had for almost 2 years.

3 hours ago, Val-E said:

Has anyone who isn´t a reseller ever bought 75150?

I actually have a personal copy. It's a decent set. The only problem with it is how vastly overproduced it was. This one set more than perhaps any other taught LEGO a lesson.

51 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

I have to disagree about 75105. It was extremely easy to get at ~£65, and sells in large quantities at £120 +. It may not be amazing, but a consistent profit of at least £35 each (usually more) with no problem at all selling them means anybody with large quantities of them did just fine.  I've been selling mine with £1 FVFs so I'm getting over £45 profit for each (I've sold 3 and have 2 left).

It depends on the set. For rarer retired sets it doesn't make any difference. It does increase the competition for the hoarded sets, but I don't think the prices drop by as much as is saved by the £1 FVF.

They sell on eBay for £50 - £55. With a buy-in of £40, that's almost no profit at all unless you get fee promotions. Even then, it's pretty pathetic for something we've had for almost 2 years.

I actually have a personal copy. It's a decent set. The only problem with it is how vastly overproduced it was. This one set more than perhaps any other taught LEGO a lesson.

I think it taught us more of a lesson never to trust short life sets without seeing the production runs.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, Val-E said:

I think it taught us more of a lesson never to trust short life sets without seeing the production runs.

The only production run made public as far as I’m aware is 20,000 of the Techinic 4x4 Crawler. Anything else has to be in the many hundreds of thousands or several millions, right? Somebody here must know and willing to spill the beans or at least a couple of beans? I see that some newer sets have unique numbers on the seal, but how high do they go?

I did hear that over 2,500,000 VW Campers have been made so far.

Oh... sold 100x grey baseplates for £250 cash - £200 profit. All gone now!

Edited by TabbyBoy

I'm turning into a TQFLLS (turbo quick flipping low life scum for the kids here). TRU Canada had Lego Batman movie sets on for 40% off last week so I bought a whole bunch of things including the Ultimate Batmobile. I then put them on Amazon with a healthy profit built into the price without any imminent sale expectations since these are still in stores. I do this for inventory control as I've lost track of things in the past when I didn't do this, plus it shows me easily when things were bought in relation to each other. So an Ultimate Batmobile sold yesterday, even though there were others selling it for just over what I paid and I will make a 30% return after fees and shipping in just one week (I raised the price on the others naturally). Annualized that's off the chart.

Just days ago I was at Canadian Tire and found a passed over Anna's Snow Adventure and picked that up and listed it with a similar price differential. Sold it this morning. And also sold the Diagon Alley promo I got two weeks ago and will net twice what it's suggested value is. Technically that's an infinite return since it was free but I try to keep things real and give these things a proper cost base.

5 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

I'm turning into a TQFLLS (turbo quick flipping low life scum for the kids here). TRU Canada had Lego Batman movie sets on for 40% off last week so I bought a whole bunch of things including the Ultimate Batmobile. I then put them on Amazon with a healthy profit built into the price without any imminent sale expectations since these are still in stores. I do this for inventory control as I've lost track of things in the past when I didn't do this, plus it shows me easily when things were bought in relation to each other. So an Ultimate Batmobile sold yesterday, even though there were others selling it for just over what I paid and I will make a 30% return after fees and shipping in just one week (I raised the price on the others naturally). Annualized that's off the chart.

Just days ago I was at Canadian Tire and found a passed over Anna's Snow Adventure and picked that up and listed it with a similar price differential. Sold it this morning. And also sold the Diagon Alley promo I got two weeks ago and will net twice what it's suggested value is. Technically that's an infinite return since it was free but I try to keep things real and give these things a proper cost base.

TQFLL scummer here. I had a recent example where a new 75105 became available on eBay for £65 from Tesco. I bought it, listed it back on eBay as soon as it arrived and sold it for nearly twice that within 48 hours. £1 FVF meant well over £40 profit.

A couple frustrating eBay sales:

Icebite's Claw Driller $70

Diagon Alley $30

I swear eBay dropped the price on the listings even when I didn't have their auto price adjustment active. They also keep dicking around with Best Offer settings even when listings are created on site rather than in-app.