What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 4 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy

10x 41175 Fire Dragon's Cave for £35 each cash (£18.66 from Tesco)

5x 60104 Airport Passenger Terminals for £85 each cash (£32 from Tesco)

4x 21104 Mars Rover for £95 each cash (£24.99 with 2x VIP from SaH)

1x Exo Suit for £30 cash (break even)

5x 60152 Sweeper & Excavator for £30 each cash (£9.99 from Tesco)

1x 70810 Sea Cow for £170 (break even)

3x 10218 Pet Shop for £125 cash each (£90 from JLP)

Sold a Pet Shop for $400 CDN on Amazon. Buy in was $230 after tax (plus I think I got a promo and double VIP points) which was regular price because I was buying it just before it disappeared and wasn't sure if I wanted a second one for my city or to have it for resale. After Amazon fees and shipping I will make a $100 profit on this "flat" set. Thank you Christmas shopping season.

• Like 1

Sold two Diagon Alleys for $37 and $34 with free shipping.  Final value works out to something like $27 and $24 respectively after overlords take their cut.

23 hours ago, thebrickdad said:

Someone shared some love with me last week and took a Chima 70232 Saber-tooth Tiger Tribe Pack and I even made 120% profit after fees. OK, it was only £3.60, but still better return than any bank would give.

I think that's the key - if you can turn a profit higher than a bank or stock, you seriously have to consider investing in LEGO.  Exclusive/hard to find action figures also get a nice return.

3 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

I think that's the key - if you can turn a profit higher than a bank or stock, you seriously have to consider investing in LEGO.  Exclusive/hard to find action figures also get a nice return.

Zero effort with the former, work and potential buyer hassle with the latter.

5 minutes ago, Scatterbug said:

Zero effort with the former, work and potential buyer hassle with the latter.

I'll second that. My only hassles have been with selling Star Wars Black Series figures. I've had 2 returns, both for the same exclusive figure R5-D4. They were both in great condition but were returned for "product damage". There was nothing wrong with them when they came back.

1 minute ago, jeff_14 said:

I'll second that. My only hassles have been with selling Star Wars Black Series figures. I've had 2 returns, both for the same exclusive figure R5-D4. They were both in great condition but were returned for "product damage". There was nothing wrong with them when they came back.

My guess is "product damage" is code for buyers remorse.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

Being a UK eBay business seller, you have to accept returns in the UK by law, even for no reason. I was grassed up to HMRC by a competitor which is why I had to convert my old private account or lose my tens of thousands of feedbacks at 100%. This is why I now use another private account for selling sets with a tiny scratch on the box, a seal that's not quite at 90° to the edge of the box or something sold for somebody else. When there's a FVF promotion, I also sell my biggest sets using the private account as business accounts get sweet FA in the way of offers. I can't do this too often as I'll get rumbled again.

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Sales on Craigslist for Lego has completely dried up for me. Not even any questions, nibbles, nothing.

Same here. I am sometimes lucky to sell a set if only it is near or at buy-in price. And that at this time of the year with the holidays coming.

The ship is sinking but some members of the orchestra here keep on playing.

5 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Sales on Craigslist for Lego has completely dried up for me. Not even any questions, nibbles, nothing.

I think a lot of buyers have moved to offer up and letgo. The aps ease of use on a phone makes impulse browsing much easier than cl. I'm getting more bites on those than cl these days. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I think a lot of buyers have moved to offer up and letgo. The aps ease of use on a phone makes impulse browsing much easier than cl. I'm getting more bites on those than cl these days. 

Same here tho have yet to tried Letgo. FB market place has been a great platform too.

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo

53 minutes ago, marcandre said:

I haven't tried Letgo, but my overall impression as a buyer on a number of the Lego sets for sale on Offer Up is a bit scary. There's little to no description on a lot of what is offered and a number of sellers use it like FB marketplace and post a massive image of Lego sets boxed or loose with a note like "message for price., too many to list." It seems like the wild west of resale with a number five finger discount sellers who'd be banned on any other platform.

1 hour ago, iahawks550 said:

I get a lot of interest but their follow up never seems to follow. I've been getting a bunch people who don't check their spam folder for replies as well. Unless they're just being trolls,

On 11/28/2018 at 2:00 PM, mfc90125 said:

Sold two Diagon Alleys for $37 and $34 with free shipping.  Final value works out to something like $27 and $24 respectively after overlords take their cut.

I’m new to the game here and I have made some decent returns, but I worry if I am selling too soon. I found I’ve been able to turn around some items in a few months for around 50% profit. 50% is no joke, but I wonder how much more I could get if I waited years to sell. 

1 minute ago, Solsbury18 said:

I’m new to the game here and I have made some decent returns, but I worry if I am selling too soon. I found I’ve been able to turn around some items in a few months for around 50% profit. 50% is no joke, but I wonder how much more I could get if I waited years to sell. 

I know there are others here, especially those who handle large volumes, who settle for lower margins, but personally I go for at least 100% ROI after all fees and taxes. There is a lot of work involved in LEGO reselling and you need to factor in your time as part of the cost equation.  So, you can do better, and it doesn't require waiting years (unless you buy at RRP).

2 minutes ago, Solsbury18 said:

That's for you to decide, and put into your strategy.  If you can make (and live with) 50% gains in the short term, then yea that's good.  If you want to risk and hold longer for maybe more gains, then that's a strategy also.  If you get multiples of a set, you can do both.  But holding longer doesn't guarantee better results.  And the correlation is definitely not linear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rpaulson7 said:

That's for you to decide, and put into your strategy.  If you can make (and live with) 50% gains in the short term, then yea that's good.  If you want to risk and hold longer for maybe more gains, then that's a strategy also.  If you get multiples of a set, you can do both.  But holding longer doesn't guarantee better results.  And the correlation is definitely not linear.

What percentage of your investments do you break up vs keep together, and do you tend to ship in their original boxes?  Wondering if there's a big difference in shipping costs if you offer "frustration-free" packaging.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

Question about shipping: does the Post Office care if I ship a First Class package at 11 oz ($3.66) vs 14 oz ($4.66)? 

They might care if you try to ship a 14oz package as an 11oz package.

I think 14 oz and up is an eBay/Paypal thing, not sure you can do that in store or via their website.

5 minutes ago, mfc90125 said:

Question about shipping: does the Post Office care if I ship a First Class package at 11 oz ($3.66) vs 14 oz ($4.66)? 

What does it actually weigh?  If it's 14 and you only paid for 11 then I wouldn't do it.  They may not catch it, but if they do they will charge the addressee the difference before they deliver the package.  That could lead to negative feedback if it's an Amazon or eBay sale.  I'm not sure what the tolerance is for the USPS weight discrepancies on packages.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

What does it actually weigh?  If it's 14 and you only paid for 11 then I wouldn't do it.  They may not catch it, but if they do they will charge the addressee the difference before they deliver the package.  That could lead to negative feedback if it's an Amazon or eBay sale.  I'm not sure what the tolerance is for the USPS weight discrepancies on packages.

Thanks.  Appreciate it.