What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 3 years later...
Guest TabbyBoy

4x 21304 Doctor Who for £60 cash each (£22 from George). A lot of you thought this was a turkey.

2x 60051 Passenger Train for £100 cash each (£50 from Tesco).

10x 60150 Pizza Truck for £12 cash each (£0 from JD Williams - no comment!).

1x 21101 Hayabusa for £180 cash (about £30 from Sogo in Hong Kong).

5x 21102 Minecraft Forest for £20 cash each (£30 from SaH - went 2x quickly then bombed).

10179 UCS MF (box only) for £150 cash.

4x 21304 Doctor Who for £60 cash each (£22 from George). A lot of you thought this was a turkey.
2x 60051 Passenger Train for £100 cash each (£50 from Tesco).
10x 60150 Pizza Truck for £12 cash each (£0 from JD Williams - no comment!).
1x 21101 Hayabusa for £180 cash (about £30 from Sogo in Hong Kong).
5x 21102 Minecraft Forest for £20 cash each (£30 from SaH - went 2x quickly then bombed).
10179 UCS MF (box only) for £150 cash.
So you're out now, as in everything is sold?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Whether a set is a turd or not depends on its performance related to RRP, not buy-in. RRP was £49.99, you sold it for £60 almost 2 years after EOL. Well, that does sound very much like a turkey to me. "Performance" and "profit made" can be two very different things.

Edited by Frank Brickowski

3 hours ago, Frank Brickowski said:

Whether a set is a turd or not depends on its performance related to RRP, not buy-in. RRP was £49.99, you sold it for £60 almost 2 years after EOL. Well, that does sound very much like a turkey to me. "Performance" and "profit made" can be two very different things.

Probably time to move the goalposts. RRP doesn't matter when buy-in is king!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

Why not? Investing has nothing to do with a set's RRP. Investing is simply spending money on something now with the expectation of selling it for more money in the future.

To me the "art of LEGO investing" has always been about the growth of the initial value of a set after EOL. Maybe I'm old school.

23 minutes ago, mizeur said:

I call it "making money." Is that lowbrow enough for you?

The origin of this discussion was Tabby's comment that Dr. Who was no turkey. But it IS a turkey because it did barely rise in value after EOL.

I was talking about LEGO investing.

But you are in the minority with your opinion. RRP doesn’t even matter anymore. Almost every LEGO set will be available, in bulk online, at 30% off. We are even seeing 40-55% becoming common. So the lowest widely available price should generally be the starting point IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

To me the "art of LEGO investing" has always been about the growth of the initial value of a set after EOL. Maybe I'm old school.

The origin of this discussion was Tabby's comment that Dr. Who was no turkey. But it IS a turkey because it did barely rise in value after EOL.

I call what he did "making money." If we're able to sell for triple our buy-in, who cares whether the money is made by "investing" or "arbitrage"?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

But you are in the minority with your opinion. RRP doesn’t even matter anymore. Almost every LEGO set will be available, in bulk online, at 30% off. We are even seeing 40-55% becoming common. So the lowest widely available price should generally be the starting point IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

To me official stats should be based on RRP as that is a universal reference point. Sure we all start at various sale discounts but those all vary with the person and make objective comparisons nearly impossible.

I think we're having 2 different arguments here:
1. Tabby proclaimed Dr.Who to be "not a turkey", to which Frank B. made the (IMHO correct) callout claiming that getting barely over RRP after 2 years still classifies a set as a Turkey.
2. Everyone else then jumped in to call Tabby's investment a winner, because he turned 22GBP into 60GBP in 2 years.

I think Tabby's sale was indeed a winner (and indicative of the "new" LEGO investing), while at the same time, if what Tabby sold it for is a good indication of market value, the Ideas Dr.Who set is a turkey as per Frank's point, because people's expectations were much higher (should have at least made it to 2xRRP).

• Like 6

1 minute ago, jeff_14 said:

To me official stats should be based on RRP as that is a universal reference point. Sure we all start at various sale discounts but those all vary with the person and make objective comparisons nearly impossible.

That's self refuting. Even if objective, universal comparison was important, RRP is as arbitrary a starting point as anything else if the bulk of resale purchases are occurring below it.

• Like 1