71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

I would open those up and double check all the bags, instructions, etc are present.  Unfortunately there is a good chance they have been tampered with even if the seals look perfect.  People are good at opening and resealing sets these days.  With a good blow dryer and a sharp knife, and the right technique, it's not too difficult to open and reseal a Lego box.  I would just double check everything to be on the safe side.  Otherwise great find, even though there is a high potential of missing contents or the sets being fraudulent. 

What's strange is we have people on this site who abuse coupons, take advantage of obvious pricing errors, or gladly rip of uunknowing people on Craigslist who aren't asking enough for their item.

But, they seem to think that buying a "possible", stolen item is somehow taboo.

As someone who has benefitted from CL ads that are undervalued - If I have no intention of buying it, I send a note informing them that they have undervalued their product. There have also been a couple of occasions where I offered more than the asking price but that was to ensure that I got the item (eg. Item is listed for $50 and I open with an offer 55- buyer accepts my 55 vs the earlier people who offered 50)

Ex astris, scientia.

Its not really up to the buyer to determine the reason for the discount. You're saying that if I go to a pawn store and buy something I didn't know was originally stolen that I'm purposely buying stolen goods.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. How can you intentionally buy goods you know are stolen when you don't know that they are stolen? Just doesn't make sense.

In my book, if someone purposely buys stuff that he knows are stolen, he's far deep into shady lands. Deeper than someone who did not know that the goods were stolen.

I think this topic is going no where good fast.

If someone is undervalueing what they are selling then they should have done their research. They have the same resourceses hiding in plain site.

How can that be compared to buying stolen goods.

I am not accusing the OP bought stolen goods. Just making the statement.

That's exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. How can you intentionally buy goods you know are stolen when you don't know that they are stolen? Just doesn't make sense.

In my book, if someone purposely buys stuff that he knows are stolen, he's far deep into shady lands. Deeper than someone who did not know that the goods were stolen.

If I offer you a $100 dollar bill for $50 do you think mine is counterfeit? I understand what you are saying. But He made the deal in front of the store instead of behind the store so its legit! I would be to worried about the inside being messed with to do the deal. The seller could have easily got $200-$220 if legit.

Don't open the boxes. The chances that they have been tampered with are waaaaaay lower than the chances that the guy just got them cheap from a sketchy source. Others are saying you should decline just in case they're stolen, but I think you should buy them and fist-pump all the way home. You have no idea where he got them, and it's not your responsibility to find out. Is it possible that they're stolen? Sure. It might even be probable. But as long as you don't know, you haven't done anything wrong. Are you going to do a background check on every single Craigslister you buy from? Of course not. Everything you buy could be stolen. If I buy a hot dog from a vendor on the street, it could be a stolen weiner. I have no idea, but it's not my responsibility to find out.

If you want to take a moral stance on it because it might be stolen goods, then you have my admiration. Just give the guy my user ID and tell him I'll send some business his way. ;-)

I think this topic is going no where good fast.

If someone is undervalueing what they are selling then they should have done their research. They have the same resourceses hiding in plain site.

How can that be compared to buying stolen goods.

I am not accusing the OP bought stolen goods. Just making the statement.

3 units of a hot fresh item sold with a 30% discount. That's not undervaluing, that's free money there. We've seen this too many times to know when spotted.

• Like 1

3 units of a hot fresh item sold with a 30% discount. That's not undervaluing, that's free money there. We've seen this too many times to know when spotted.

I was actually referencing the comment made about taking advantage of people selling used items on craigslist not these brand new items fresh off the press.

As someone who has benefitted from CL ads that are undervalued - If I have no intention of buying it, I send a note informing them that they have undervalued their product. There have also been a couple of occasions where I offered more than the asking price but that was to ensure that I got the item (eg. Item is listed for $50 and I open with an offer 55- buyer accepts my 55 vs the earlier people who offered 50)

Ex astris, scientia.

Wish I could Thumbs down or  dislike this

If I offer you a $100 dollar bill for $50 do you think mine is counterfeit? I understand what you are saying. But He made the deal in front of the store instead of behind the store so its legit! I would be to worried about the inside being messed with to do the deal. The seller could have easily got $200-$220 if legit.

So if I sell you stolen goods inside or in front of a store then it's a legit transaction? The OP stated that the seller got them from a friend, not a store.

I'm not cornering anyone here, I even congratulated the OP on his catch, even assuming that the items were obtained by alternative ways and that he did not know this. Had he posted something like "I got all these sets that I know are stolen for $(whatever amount)", you can bet all your Brickpoints that most of BP would've given him a lesson.

So if I sell you stolen goods inside or in front of a store then it's a legit transaction? The OP stated that the seller got them from a friend, not a store.

I'm not cornering anyone here, I even congratulated the OP on his catch, even assuming that the items were obtained by alternative ways and that he did not know this. Had he posted something like "I got all these sets that I know are stolen for $(whatever amount)", you can bet all your Brickpoints that most of BP would've given him a lesson.

I was totally agreeing with you in my post!

• Like 1

My post was not aimed at anyone in particular. I've just seen a ton of unscrupulous behavior by buyers that make buying possibly stolen sets not so big a deal.

I would open those up and double check all the bags, instructions, etc are present.  Unfortunately there is a good chance they have been tampered with even if the seals look perfect.  People are good at opening and resealing sets these days.  With a good blow dryer and a sharp knife, and the right technique, it's not too difficult to open and reseal a Lego box.  I would just double check everything to be on the safe side.  Otherwise great find, even though there is a high potential of missing contents or the sets being fraudulent. 

Good chance he took all the minifigures out ... really should check .. doh

This got interesting quickly. I actually posted up first because I thought he might have taken items out like the mini figures. I thought it was TGTBT because it was a scam item not a stolen item. His first wish to meet me in the back and suddenly having more than one alerted me. Tbh I was more worried about getting jacked than getting stolen goods.

I wouldn't have asked for the weight of the Simpsons house so I could check if anything was missing if I thought it was stolen. If it was stolen I would just assume everything is there because the cost to them is $0 and taking things out would have diminishing returns. His story about having a car in need of repair seemed to hold true as he walked a few blocks with the sets in his hands. Also he did offer to let me open one up before I even gave him the cash. But as long as they have not been tampered with I am not going to worry about it. If I didn't buy it someone else would have. My action would not have prevented the supposed theft anyways.

"Tbh I was more worried about getting jacked than getting stolen goods"   

Is this really what its come to?  Meeting shady people behind stores, or in front of stores for a Lego deal.  Worried about getting jacked for an item that might make you a hundred bucks some day?  Good Lord!

I find myself yearning for the good old days, when you could flip hotcakes in front of TRU without a care in the world.

• Like 1

Let me offer another possible scenario. It is possible he could have been one of the many who come here. Never posted, never did research and disillusioned by the culture of easy money fast that one can get from this site. He purchased the sets with money he couldn't spare hoping for an OOS quick flip. That obviously didn't happen. Now he needs money fast. Goes to CL because of its ease and no fees. Cuts his losses and makes a quick firesale.

I agree this deal does sound shady. But it is possible that some of these deals are because somebody jumped in too quick and suddenly realized this ian not for them.

• Like 1

Guest brickcrazyhouse

People will do what people want to do regardless. I think this thread is a good eye opener about what kind of deals are out there and buyers must tread carefully. What they choose to do is their own business. Safety first

unfortunately eventually someone is going to go pick up one of these deal and be lulled into being to chatty. then before they know it their home has been broken into and contents posted on CL

play with snakes and you will get bit

Just to answer OP question, I received my Simpsons house today from Lego and the receipt says net weight is 3,660kg. Good luck. If they are knocked off the bad karma is with the guy that sold them to you ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1