71006 - The Simpsons House

Jeff Mack

The Simpsons House  

549 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about The Simpsons House?

• Love it!
    • Could be better.
    • Hate it.
    • Don't care either way.
  2. 2. How do you feel about investment potential?

• It's a winner!
    • It's okay.
    • It stinks.
  3. 3. Are you interested to see more sets for The Simpsons?

• Yes, please!
    • No, thank you.
    • Couldn't care less.

I just picked up three Lego Simpsons Houses for $140 each off of Craigslist. The whole time I was wondering if the deal was TGTBT, and when the guy wanted to meet at the back of Safeway I was ready to walk away. The guy agreed without a fight to meet with me in front and it looked like a great deal. All the boxes were sealed, no damage to the box and no stretching of the seals. The guy selling seemed more concerned with the conditions of the box and was willing to let me open one.

I think it is legit, but I am wondering how much does a legit Simpsons House set weigh in box? I don't want to open these unless I have to. Especially one of the houses will be a gift to my nephew when he visits in the summer.

Here is a picture of the boxes as I dropped them off at my house before returning to work.

jgk3rsB.jpg?1

Shady to say the least. Most of these kinds of massive discount (and multiple quantity) listing are something that continue to raise eyebrows. Congrats on the deal, I have little doubt that you scored a very good find, but what does concern me is where they came from in the first place. Just like every listing like this. Stolen out of people`s shopping bags? :laugh: I`m kidding, but who knows.

He said he bought them from a friend and wanted to sit on them but he needed money to fix his car. The original listing was for one but the more we texted the more boxes were available. That is what sketched me out. But the boxes are in better condition than the ones that get shipped out from Kmart. I now wish that I waited and didn't buy one for myself during the Double Points sale.

Sets are cheap because they want to load them off fast. For a legit source the opportunity costs would be just too high to sell them with such a high discount. Unless he has another opportunity cost, like being busted.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch" or we could say nobody cuts off his own leg. 99% of these deals have an illegal source. Anyway you can trust most of them, fences must be trustworthy to have buyers, they don't tend to scam. Also scamming somebody can draw a lot of attention, while in the other case you happily walk away thinking what a good deal you have just made. Successful scammers separate their selling and acquisition activities. But if I were you I would not support their activity.

Nice pickup.

Likely the seller got them using someone else's credit card. I can't find another way to explain a 30% discount on such item.

I picked up a Sea Cow on Craigslist for $175. I asked the lady why she was selling it, she said her son got it as a birthday present, and decided he didn't want it. But I like your assumption that they used someone else's credit card, you're probably right ;)

He said he bought them from a friend and wanted to sit on them but he needed money to fix his car. The original listing was for one but the more we texted the more boxes were available. That is what sketched me out. But the boxes are in better condition than the ones that get shipped out from Kmart. I now wish that I waited and didn't buy one for myself during the Double Points sale.

If you don't mind me asking, which state are you in?  I remember another member mentioning getting a great CL deal for these in the last few days.

I emailed a few times with a person about red five x-wing for a deep discount who then said they had multiple and said they also had Simpsons house. Also wanted to meet in a not so great area so I decided to quit emailing. Figured it was an unsavory being and TGTBT. didn't want the bad karma possibly attached to the sets. I'd rather stick it to corporate America!

I picked up a Sea Cow on Craigslist for $175. I asked the lady why she was selling it, she said her son got it as a birthday present, and decided he didn't want it. But I like your assumption that they used someone else's credit card, you're probably right ;)

Lady's story could also be a lie, but being one unit only makes it less likely to be a scam.

IMHO, the OP has scam written all over it.

Last year, I met up with a guy who sold me a new Cargo Terminal for $40. After the deal was done, I realized it was a TGTBT. I asked where he got it from - "a friend in Los Angeles."

I've seen him post other times, but I've not tried to hook up with him since. Just too shady for my taste. Definitely felt like he was unloading.

I can understand doing it once, but after the first time...buyer beware.

My post was not aimed at anyone in particular. I've just seen a ton of unscrupulous behavior by buyers that make buying possibly stolen sets not so big a deal.

People will do what people want to do regardless. I think this thread is a good eye opener about what kind of deals are out there and buyers must tread carefully. What they choose to do is their own business. Safety first