10237 - Tower of Orthanc

It would be good if this could hold off going to Sold Out at least until promo 2 of 2 is available! 

I've already got this (mentally) in my cart for the end of November. Even if it trudges along for another six months or a year, I'd rather get it with promos then scrambling to buy at MSRP (in Canada) after S&**** moves to Sold Out.

While I appreciate this forum, at times the hysteria that is whipped up by speculation of EOL is a bit ridiculous.  Just recently someone speculated that the Tumbler is going EOL, never mind that it has been out but a few months. LOL  In the Orthanc's case, this is a 2013 set.  Doesn't Lego usually allow 2 yrs before retirement?  I have not followed the Lego industry long enough to know that as a fact, so perhaps a veteran can shed some light.

Then a whisper of possible EOL leads to frenzied buying, sucking up the stock of all the major online suppliers, and then people use that as supporting evidence that the set is indeed retiring.   :dontknow:

but having said that, we all indeed must make investment decisions on our own, and the debate and exchange of info is a good resource to draw from.

Edited by Dkc

I can see LOTR/Hobbit disappearing in 2015 since the last movie is coming out next month.  I expect most retail stores will drop this theme in early 2015 when they do inventory/clearance.  LEGO could keep making Orthanc throughout the year but if it's a slow seller they may want to end it sooner rather than later.  It's all speculation at this point, but there are some signs that point to this one heading for the exit.

Edited by zskid00

While I appreciate this forum, at times the hysteria that is whipped up by speculation of EOL is a bit ridiculous.  Just recently someone speculated that the Tumbler is going EOL, never mind that it has been out but a few months. LOL  In the Orthanc's case, this is a 2013 set.  Doesn't Lego usually allow 2 yrs before retirement?  I have not followed the Lego industry long enough to know that as a fact, so perhaps a veteran can shed some light.

Then a whisper of possible EOL leads to frenzied buying, sucking up the stock of all the major online suppliers, and then people use that as supporting evidence that the set is indeed retiring.   :dontknow:

but having said that, we all indeed must make investment decisions on our own, and the debate and exchange of info is a good resource to draw from.

I believe that in the licensing agreement there's a clause that marks a point in time where the license is no longer valid, thus, preventing the manufacturer, TLG in this case, from producing more products.

And, IIRC, it was stated here several times that the license for LOTR expires in 2014.

HH was a non licensed lego theme.  LOTR is a licensed lego theme and not the same as the "Hobbit"  To me a better determination of when Orthanc will go is the sold out status of the other LOTR sets that are not exclusives.  I do not expect lego to renew/pay licensing fees for 1 exclusive when all the others are retired.  I could be wrong though.  This one has been limit 2 since day one of release as well.

Not sure if this is old news or it happened just over night; but it's back to available now. My order is now "in warehouse".

It moved to available a couple days ago, after having a Nov. 16 expected ship date (Canada). I'm still planning on getting my S&**** limit at the end of the month.