10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Easy to say when we know what those have done.

The LOTR fanbase is much, much bigger than PotC, and this and UG are the only two options for a display-worthy set.

Not sure who planted the idea that the appeal of BP and QAR was only limited to fans of PotC. ;)

On the other hand, ToO and UG were the sets with rather limited fanbase/audience from the get go.

Edited by Darth_Raichu

It's better than being the best set in PotC right? And those have done pretty well.

I believe the success of the PotC ships has more to do with being big ass ships rather than the license.

Big ass ships always do well. You can't have enough of them.

Edited by inversion

I really like the set. More than UG, actually.

I imagine one of the biggest issues for some builders who can't pull the trigger is the fact that it is so blackishly blacky black.

But true fans won't care, because it is a fairly authentic representation of the tower. Plus Treebeard is an odd sort of fan-favorite character to a large extent.

The set has 2 exclusive minifigs, as well as some appropriate others thrown in.

I think comparisons to the UCS Batmobile, Tumbler, PotC ships, either Death Star, or even HH are all appropriate in different ways. 

Find me an iconic UCS-type set that has done poorly...If there had been a UCS IJ set, would it be popular?

The question in my mind is not if this will do well, it is only how well. It could linger at/near the average big exclusive growth rate, or it could go berzerk within a few years (or months).

In my opinion, that depends on more of a connection developing between LotR fans and Lego builders. Other possible themes in the future could help with that...

Isn't being the best LOTR set sort of like being the smartest kid in special ed?

Dumb**** post of the day. With that said its one of my favorite sets. But I'm biased towards fantasy in general. I don't think it will do gang busters in the after market. Invest in what everyone is and I'm sure you will feel better about yourself.

• Like 1

great thanks, now I have root beer all over my monitor... :-)

Thanks. At least someone took it for what it was supposed to be (a f-ing joke), as opposed to the people that get butthurt about any opinion that differs from their own and need to resort to personal attacks over my opinion of a line of sets. Of course it is the typical "nun-uh you are the one who is stupidz!" cleverness I have come to expect.

Thanks. At least someone took it for what it was supposed to be (a f-ing joke), as opposed to the people that get butthurt about any opinion that differs from their own and need to resort to personal attacks over my opinion of a line of sets. Of course it is the typical "nun-uh you are the one who is stupidz!" cleverness I have come to expect.

We get it.  I really don't like when people make fun of Special "Ed" kids.  Relax and move on...

• Like 4

It is the iconic set of an average licensed theme.  I like the set personally, but are there enough people 5 years from now that will really want it?  

Having read people's opinions on it on other Lego forums, I would say yes. Especially if a sudden EOL catches a lot of people out.

I think the glut of recent big EOLs actually help this set a lot, as there will be people (regular buyers and investors) who have left this on the long finger, and could miss out. Assuming it goes soon.

Having read people's opinions on it on other Lego forums, I would say yes. Especially if a sudden EOL catches a lot of people out.

I think the glut of recent big EOLs actually help this set a lot, as there will be people (regular buyers and investors) who have left this on the long finger, and could miss out. Assuming it goes soon.

Good points.  There have been so many sets retiring that it is hard to keep up.  The Tower is a dark and dynamic set, which will probably appreciate very well regardless of the rest of the theme.  It is hard to buy currently, so hoarding it now, will not be easy.  

I'm torn on this set. On the one hand, the supply seems quite low which is rare for a big set these days. On the other hand, the demand is also likely to be quite low. I'm not a huge fan of the set myself because while it is a significant location from the films, I would not call it an iconic one. However, I did see one built and it's impressively tall; it dwarfs even the largest modular buildings.