10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Lego LEGO Shop at Home lets you backorder this for December 30th delivery, which i have.

I wonder if this is great timing for the new Hobbit film to come out and this be on backorder if there will be any short term rise in price and flip capability while backordering more to replace those you have? Hmmm

• Like 1

Not available on Walmart.com, Amazon.com, LEGO Shop at Home and TRU.com at time of posting

Gone from Amazon now. This didn't last long. (edit: was reading "now", and not "not". I was watching the last disappear on Amazon yesterday evening right in front of my eyes, ehem - cart).

Edited by 10230

Lego LEGO Shop at Home lets you backorder this for December 30th delivery, which i have.

I wonder if this is great timing for the new Hobbit film to come out and this be on backorder if there will be any short term rise in price and flip capability while backordering more to replace those you have? Hmmm

That assumes you actually get those on backorder - a risky game.

Interesting to note that after walmart.ca blowing these out they are still showing OOS. TRU.ca doesn't have a LOTR section or the ToO listed. If these aren't signs, I don't know what are.

I'd be quite surprised if TLG keeps the LOTR license for another year, so I'd wager the backordered ToO for Jan 2015 will be produced in the next two weeks (or has already been produced but not shipped to stores yet). Of course, some stores got limited quantities of other large exclusives after backorders were filled with some GEs and HHs, so still might pop in and out, but I think the days of wide availability are long gone. If you aren't at your desired number, time to find a deal somewhere.

Interesting to note that after walmart.ca blowing these out they are still showing OOS. TRU.ca doesn't have a LOTR section or the ToO listed. If these aren't signs, I don't know what are.

I'd be quite surprised if TLG keeps the LOTR license for another year, so I'd wager the backordered ToO for Jan 2015 will be produced in the next two weeks (or has already been produced but not shipped to stores yet). Of course, some stores got limited quantities of other large exclusives after backorders were filled with some GEs and HHs, so still might pop in and out, but I think the days of wide availability are long gone. If you aren't at your desired number, time to find a deal somewhere.

You could not be more right... in my opinion.

I don't think this one is done.  They just ran out because people are buying them up for Christmas.  It's only been out 18-months.

Not necessarily 'done' but the chaos prediction coupled with no new LOTR sets on the horizon (except for the Ideas set that will be reviewed) means stocking up sooner rather than later might be wise. For example, getting 2 with double VIP plus promo set was a good buy in for me, as it *might* not make it to another double VIP + promo month and MSRP is $249 in CAN. I'd rather sit on them for six months or a year than miss out.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

I'm slowly stocking up but being cautions on this one. On paper the huge LotR fan base should carry the set but similar things have been said for other LotR sets, yet we haven't seen a single set doing exceptionally well, have we? Overall the theme is mediocre so far.

I share your thoughts as in the UK, only sets bought with a large discount are worth selling right now. As well as ToO, I have HD and Pirate Ship.