10237 - Tower of Orthanc

Isn't amazing how we overlook sets until they are on the verge of extinction? I'm glad I have some ToO stashed away. If a LOTR fan discovers/rediscovers LEGO as an adult, this is the set he/she will have been looking for.

Every set has pros/cons. I don't want one of the cons to be me caught with my pants down and having none in stock.

• Like 1

Isn't amazing how we overlook sets until they are on the verge of extinction? I'm glad I have some ToO stashed away. If a LOTR fan discovers/rediscovers LEGO as an adult, this is the set he/she will have been looking for.

Every set has pros/cons. I don't want one of the cons to be me caught with my pants down and having none in stock.

The first and last set I didn't buy at least one of while they were out was the Maersk Train.  I hope to never make that mistake again. I paid a premium for it, but it's risen considerably more in value since.

Sexiest Lego investment of those going soon.

Had one arrive with a very, very, very beat-up box and realized I am actually thrilled about it... I am going to build it for myself. Considering grabbing two Black Gates to complete the ensemble.

This box is notorious for being in bad shape. I've never ordered one online but have about a dozen and probably only 3 or 4 are truly mint. For whatever reason they never qualify for damaged box bonus points. Not a big deal but just strange as i buy a lot of damage box and most of those are usually in better shape than these are straight off the floor.

• Like 1

This adds to the good recent dilemma discussion. Here's AA, almost exactly the same:

• 2848 people own this set
  • 2689 want this set

10228 HH

• 5372 people own this set
  • 3065 want this set

10211 GE

• 10089 people own this set
  • 3618 want this set

10197- FB

• 9134 people own this set
  • 3601 want this set

10220 T1-VW

• 7245 people own this set
  • 2078 want this set

10225 R2-D2

• 4779 people own this set
  • 2524 want this set

!0221 SSD

• 3454 people own this set
  • 4008 want this set

it does prove which sets are massively hoarded vs not :D vs which may have higher potential :D

or it merely reflect affordability based on prices...

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 1

Sexiest Lego investment of those going soon.

Had one arrive with a very, very, very beat-up box and realized I am actually thrilled about it... I am going to build it for myself. Considering grabbing two Black Gates to complete the ensemble.

I thought the black gate went with barad dur?

Here's a few others to add to the list:

10188 DS

6379 own this set

5524 want it

10214 TB

4719 own this set

2638 want it

10218 PS

8768 own this set

3542 want it

10226 SC

3289 own this set

1589 want it

10233 HE

3063 own this set

2110 want it

10236 EV

2516 own this set

3829 want it

10234 SOH

1562 own this set

2045 want it

Oh no secrets are being made public.  Next thing you know someone will mention using the amount of # of FBA sellers for any given set or Ebay available stock to determine if one exclusive over another is a good buy.  Dang stats.

Oh no secrets are being made public.  Next thing you know someone will mention using the amount of # of FBA sellers for any given set or Ebay available stock to determine if one exclusive over another is a good buy.  Dang stats.

hardly secret. and just interesting that's all. 

Edited by legopocalypse

A couple weeks back, I ordered one from LEGO Shop at Home when they were shipping 30 days out. My order status read "call customer service". When I did, a very nice lady told me they weren't going to make that deadline and I should just cancel and try getting one shipped from a Lego store.  I canceled the order, and within the hour they were listed as "now available" again.  I did get a free poster out of it. 

I made sure I bought two on Amazon last night. I waited with the Haunted House and it was gone the day after my miscalculation. Not saying this set is retiring tomorrow, but at any time this set can go poof in my opinion and we will all be scrambling.

Just ordered one at lego shop&home Germany with 5% discount and free promo 2/2. Wish I could order some more but have to make choices.

buy, buy, buy, buy, buy, then HOLD. This set is insanely cool. We rarely build large sets but could not resist this one. I categorize it as a Town-Hall type investment... buy, sit, hold. Long-term appeal for a long-time audience of LOTR fans.

In the back of our attic there is a "special" place, with boxes of gifts/items we don't like/want but feel too guilty to get rid of them. An inherited Velvet Elvis from a deceased uncle, along with his glazed Dale Earnhart plate collection... a box of horrible hand-made sweaters from Aunt Ethel which are nothing shy of atrocious but we don't have the heart to get rid of, etc., etc., etc.

We are planting a few TH's and ToO's next to THAT inventory. Distant... and not to be visited for a very long time.

Those familiar with Tolkien's work understand the intrinsic value of the ToO and how truly iconic this set is. For those unfamiliar with his work, trust your fellow investors who are familiar with its appeal. You do not need to have any interest in what this set represents; you can research it thoroughly- on this very thread- and understand it has the potential to make you a lot of money. Tolkien and the fantasy genre may mean nothing to you, which is certainly okay, but if making money is- I would start at page one of this topic and begin reading.

This should be ranked very, very high on any investor's radar based on what is currently available, what is near retiring, and what will offer long-term growth and demand.

• Like 4