10237 - Tower of Orthanc

It's strange that it can go from 30 days to 90 days then back to 30 days.  Maybe they are getting more in the next shipment than they initially expected.

The last Hobbit movie is out in December and there are no new LOTR sets on the horizon.  If they sold well enough to do more, I'm sure we would have seen them by now.  I expect the last wave of Hobbit sets to be clearanced by brick and mortar retailers in early 2015 and maybe LEGO will have the theme available through all of 2015, but I expect Orthanc to be gone a year from now if not sooner.  It's tied to a license, unlike Monster Fighters/Haunted House, so my best guess is that it's days are numbered and it's going sooner rather than later.  This is all speculation of course.

Edited by zskid00

To be honest, I don't know much :)

Feel free to correct me, and I really mean it.

I only looked at the timeline of the movies to make a guess.

Legone,

I commend you on this post and your attitude towards learning more. In addition to the info posted on this board, you may enjoy reading about Tolkien on Wikepedia, and how significant his work is.

The movies are outstanding... The books, even better.

Could not agree more. Smaug and the figures get an A+; the rest is clutter. If you actually hold Smaug, his wings bend and move, and he can be displayed in a lot of cool ways. They did an outstanding job with him.

I am going deep on ToO, Unexpected Gathering, and Wizard's Battle, which I think is an outstanding value set with two great mini-figs and Sarumon's eye. Disappointing that, to get Smaug, you have to buy the rest of that set.

I have decent exposure to most but not all of the lotr stuff. I am happy so far with all of the retired performance minus goblin king and moria. I think and hope they will pick up once all tolkein is retired. I am heavy on the biggest ones. The ship is awesome amd i think i will do very eell once retired. Orthanc is a no brainer. Is is displayed next to my sauron sideshow statue that is almost 3 feet tall. They go well.

Even the Lego LOTR game I thought was the worst, clunkiest and glitchiest of all the Lego games. Couldn't wait to get my platinum trophy and never play that thing again.

Blasphemy!  I loved trekking around Middle Earth in the LEGO LOTR game and thought the free play was fantastic.  That is coming from a big LOTR fan though, so I'm a little biased.  I'm not sure I encountered any more glitches with that game than previous ones, but I really didn't keep track.

• Like 1

Just came by to read this thread and I'm LMAO right now. I posted about loading this baby up and saying its done this year during July and August and got banned from posting. I posted not only in here but in the daily deals. Although I have only 12 of these, it beats having none. The short run on this will make this a big winner. This may not yield stratospheric returns like the HH but it will be an easy double immediately when it goes EOL.

• Like 1

Just came by to read this thread and I'm LMAO right now. I posted about loading this baby up and saying its done this year during July and August and got banned from posting. I posted not only in here but in the daily deals. Although I have only 12 of these, it beats having none. The short run on this will make this a big winner. This may not yield stratospheric returns like the HH but it will be an easy double immediately when it goes EOL.

Fascinating.

That would be fantastic, but how did you know it's retiring this year?