10237 - Tower of Orthanc

I want to believe this thing is retiring too and I have faith in a lot of them retiring but I keep thinking the answer to why it is out there is they are not done with it yet but it is a dog of a seller at this point and that they are absolutely not going to put it back on the production line before Christmas in place of one of their extremely hot sellers.  Hence its back end of January.  I would do that too if I were them.  I have 3 but still it makes me wonder to pull the trigger for more.  Need to ponder.  Perhaps it will go to sold out while I think about it.

I could not disagree with you more.

The spirit of this board- and this forum- is to share perspectives and advice. People can do with it as they please. From what I have learned from this forum, or any of us, it's deserved. I would rather see ToO in the inventory of fellow BP'ers than anyone else.

I will reiterate my case for fellow BP'ers to be the ones owning what remains, now and in the near future, of ToO...

Mixels are fun, and can be very profitable with proper market timing. Same with the Harry Potter sets; though flattening now returns were very positive.

Seventy weeks, vs. seventy months, vs. seventy years of fan base. For the long-term investor, this set is only going one direction.

I hear you but I was just saying the OP wanted people to ignore the set but by posting what he did all it's done is gotten more resellers to purchase it, which equates to longer time to realize profit gains.

Edited by legopocalypse

I've never seen such a long backorder time. 3 months?

Anyway, its OOS at WM and TRU.

Limit 2 on Amazon, no limits on Target.

If this thing is on the way out, I suspect a lot of those 3 month backorders will be cancelled.

And Target stock depletes in 3..2..1..

Edited by legone

When I (initially, anyway) missed out on TH and saw how fast HH disappeared, I switched up my plan and got three of these a few weeks ago. Still not really worried that it's going anywhere so soon, but I think this will be a solid reseller and wanted to rest easy knowing I had it in case of a panic/early EOL.

I'm guessing the Tower of Orthanc is not selling very well.

Reasons:

- LOTR fans are still young, they can't afford a $200 toy yet

- Most current AFOLs already passed the age when the LOTR movies were released

If this is correct, then ToO will likely ripe 3 to 4 years from now when the LOTR generation mature into their mid-late 20s, early 30s, assuming the set's been retired by then (very likely). 

I'm not real sure you know anything about Lord of the Rings lol... 

• Like 2

To be honest, I don't know much :)

Feel free to correct me, and I really mean it.

I only looked at the timeline of the movies to make a guess.

Well.... The Hobbit was published (books, ya know) in 1937.

Lord of the Rings was originally published in 1954.

It's the second best selling novel of all time.

So, for 70 years there have been fans of the Lord of the Rings. This is not something new that children need to grow into.

• Like 3

Even the angry Ents did not damage the tower. They destroyed everything around it (forges etc), but the tower was still pristine when Gandalf arrived afterwards. ;)

I stole this from the wiki, and imagine the 'slight damage' to be akin to a creased box arriving from S&****:

However, the ents that besieged Isengard during the War of the Ring managed to inflict slight damage on the tower, but their efforts ultimately proved to be futile.

To be honest, I don't know much :)

Feel free to correct me, and I really mean it.

I only looked at the timeline of the movies to make a guess.

And more on point, Harry Potter and Pirates of the Caribbean were aimed at younger audiences than LotR, and that hasn't stopped the most expensive sets from those lines from doubling or better already.

• Like 1

I stole this from the wiki, and imagine the 'slight damage' to be akin to a creased box arriving from S&H:

However, the ents that besieged Isengard during the War of the Ring managed to inflict slight damage on the tower, but their efforts ultimately proved to be futile.

Whaaa you just had to proof me wrong, didn't you ? :D

Everytime I worry about small creases on a box, I just pull up eBay and look up the current values of BP and QAR WITHOUT boxes :P

Edited by Darth_Raichu