10237 - Tower of Orthanc

agreed. 

plus it should do nicely once retired.  hopefully, it won't be available for more then 2 years

The only way it will string along is if the license runs for that period of time.  We will not have this doing what the Joust has done if the license is over at the end of this year.  I have no idea how long that license will go for, but with a set like this that is the determining factor.  Emazers reminded me of this the other day.

Guest TabbyBoy

Two of mine come with the promotional poster which I hope will enhance their value. I'll build the other one.

Tower of Orthanc has a licensed attached to it.  The LOTR license is not the same as the Hobbit license.  When the license expires, the set expires.  It does not look like more LOTR sets are going to be made at this point.  If they produce more sets then that may indicate the life of the license, squeezing most amount of money out of it.  If they do not make more LOTR sets then we can expect the license to go away along with this set.  Get em while you can.

This is a very interesting point and one I'd not thought of. Anyone know what the typical licensing terms are at Lego? Is it that they can pump out and sell licensed sets for a finite amount of time, or is it that they're allowed to produce and sell a certain number of sets, each of which can be on the shelves separately for a certain amount of time? Obviously the terms are probably different with each franchise, but I was wondering if there was a standard contract. As someone mentioned, the Joust is lingering

• 1 month later...

This set is on my back burner list.  So was the SSD, but it was a pipe dream purchase.  I just recently built the black gate which I was hoping would satiate me from Orthanc.  But it looks so cool.  I'm not even a huge Tolkien fan (I enjoy fantasy but Middle Earth is a bit played out).  So is it worth the $200?  I know that I can sell it in a year used and make money back on it.  However, I'd rather not tie that much money up on a set that won't blow me away after it's built.

I finally bought mine for my personal collection. I can't wait to put it together. Trying to decide if I should do the numbered bags or dump them all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Real men dump them all in a pile.  Numbered bags are too easy. 

• Like 1

Real men dump them all in a pile. Numbered bags are too easy.

Real men also have jobs and limited amounts of time. :mole: I'll take the easier road of mellowness and tranquil building. :beach: I am willing to accept the punishment :punish: and try keeping the white hairs of stress at bay. :yawn:
  • Like 1

For anyone sitting on the fence deciding to build this set or not i would strongly advise you do. In my opinion it is a truly excellent model set, it was great fun to build and i was/am so impressed by its size, it is absolute huge. It really is an eye catching thing sitting on the living room shelf, everyone who comes round looks at it and gives excellent comments, well my male friends anyway:)

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

Real men dump them all in a pile.  Numbered bags are too easy. 

That's what I do with my dirty clothes for her to sort out, I must be real man then.  I've got to train her to build an "Expert" set somehow.  I've already mixed up the pieces of a VW Camper for the next rainy day.

Regarding Orthanc.... It's a cracking build and by far the most impressive LOTR set and perhaps the only one to skyrocket after EOL.

For anyone sitting on the fence deciding to build this set or not i would strongly advise you do. In my opinion it is a truly excellent model set, it was great fun to build and i was/am so impressed by its size, it is absolute huge. It really is an eye catching thing sitting on the living room shelf, everyone who comes round looks at it and gives excellent comments, well my male friends anyway:)

Hide it well and deep if you have a date coming over though :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Brickpicker