6857 - The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

Rich B

There may be a bunch at TRUs, but remember that this set never made it to a Walmart, Target, Amazon, etc....so while there may be 40+ sets at some stores, that doesn't appear to be the norm (I've been to 4 TRU this week and only 1 of them had it in-stock), there's still a lot less overall availability for this set vs. other sets in the line.  If the set was poorly designed or in general unwanted (like Home One) then I would be worried, but I still see this as a good long-term hold.

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome set. Great figures, wonderful box art and set design. It`s everything you could want in a Lego set, nothing lacking, nothing. It`s currently my favourite set at/around that price point. FunHouse Escape really is an A++ set. Virtually perfect, and normally that would be enough to signal a huge winner go a set. Only issue, and it is a big one, is that up until about 6 months ago it was on track to be a huge winner. Well, everyone and their kids, dog, heck, even their anti-Lego/spending/investing wife jumped on board and bought tons and tons of them. The market is saturated with Funhouse escape and so are investment portfolios. Seriously, you couldn`t really ask for a better type of investment set, for even more reasons then I mentioned, but unfortunately available quantity plays a role in how well it performs, and it`s more then likely going to take quite a bit of time to see the large gains that some of us would like. If you are a longer term investor, load up, if you want quicker money, buy something else. 

I actually think TRU.com dropped ball on this one. If you go to their lego super hero category, funhouse is nothere to be found. It only appears under their 'TRU exclusive' category. For a average lego fun, a lot of people probably don't know and don't care about the 'exclusive' set. If they want a superhero lego set for gift, the first place they'll go is the superhero category. they don't put it there almost like hiding it from general audience. I think this is one of the reasons why this set moves slow at TRU.com, plus they probably have a million of these.

• 5 months later...

In short, yes.  This is a great set to buy and hold.  Watch for a sale at ToysRus and snap them up.  It may seem frustrating that they are still around 6 months after retiring, but just remember...everything disappears for good eventually.  These will be long gone after people have cleaned out the shelves during the holiday season, so don't wait too long to get them.

I`d second that, if your TRU offers a BOGO anytime soon pick them up then. If by full retail you mean $39.99 (as opposed to TRU price of $54.99) I`d buy them flat out now. It`s an excellent set, wonderful figures, plenty of value for your (and a buyer`s) money. Only thing to keep in mind is that most investors seem to have realized this, and up until last year loaded up on them. The market is pretty thick with these and will be for some time, but the demand will continue to be there, you`ll just have to wait a bit. 

Is it worth it to pick up the The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape 6857 set at full TRU retail while it's still available. I don't know when this set retired but on shop@home it says it's retired. Just wondering what your opinions are.

Thanks

Yes it's at good set worth buying, but it has been nowhere near real retail ($39.99) for a while. TRUs inflated retail of $ 59.99 has kept it on the shelves of all of the stores near. As @rtisan said there are many investors that have chosen this set. Discussion has died down about it since TRU seemed to restock all of their stores a few months back, but this set was talked about a lot.

The Dynamic Duo Funhouse Escape

What's the new Funhouse/Orc Forge?

I wouldn't buy this to invest at that price.  There are other sets to be had, your money would probably be better spent elsewhere.  Funhouse will do well, but it will take a long time to appreciate, and most people bought in around $30 with BOGO sales, reward points, etc.  At the TRU inflated retail you're already in the hole compared to others.

Yeah, I bought quite a few of these for around $30 or less last year, but I think those days are gone unless TRU decides to clearance their remaining inventory.  A lot of investors bought in at that price and I still expect this to do well once TRU finally goes through whatever they have left.  It's kind of ridiculous how much longer they have been able to keep sets in stock after LEGO has retired them.  I guess it has to do with their higher than retail prices.

Another interesting aspect of figuring out the Date Code Stickers is we can confirm (at least i have at my several local TRU's) that the FunHouses on the shelf are all old stock produced in 2013. None of them have newer codes, so we can be confident they're not still flooding the market with more.