Complaint Thread

rcdb1984

38 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I wonder how the California transplants are handling it?

My ex is in Texas...wait, isn't that a country song?

Anyways, two days ago, she posted on Facebook "No power, no hot water. We are screwed!" Then yesterday, "Hallelujah, we have power!", and then this morning "No electricity, no water, no food. This is getting ridiculous."

I feel for her. She moved out of the San Francisco Bay Area 10 years ago. She says she loved it back then. Then a few years later, she says she misses the Bay Area. Late last year, she posted that her and her boyfriend had a custom house built (nice and big). Looks like she's staying there long term, but I know she misses it here.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, keymomachine said:

ArcGIS is the defacto standard in mapping software. It was my every day ten years ago, never did any online stuff though, it's my understanding they have come a long way in that department.

That was my past life.  First career.  Hence the "map" in my name.  Used to use ArcGIS daily.  They can do some pretty cool things in ArcGIS Online these days.

53 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I wonder how the California transplants are handling it?

I don't know how I'd handle it.  I was outside here in SoCal last night, and it was a chilly 45 degrees and I was freezing, even bundled up.  I can't even imagine single digit temperatures, and not being able to retreat inside to get some level of comfort.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

My ex is in Texas...wait, isn't that a country song?

Anyways, two days ago, she posted on Facebook "No power, no hot water. We are screwed!" Then yesterday, "Hallelujah, we have power!", and then this morning "No electricity, no water, no food. This is getting ridiculous."

I feel for her. She moved out of the San Francisco Bay Area 10 years ago. She says she loved it back then. Then a few years later, she says she misses the Bay Area. Late last year, she posted that her and her boyfriend had a custom house built (nice and big). Looks like she's staying there long term, but I know she misses it here.

reading some articles from Houston newspaper; on top of the the "No electricity, no water, no food" crisis is also the lack of experience. Pipes are frozen in entire communities...yup that means the toilets are not flushing. It also means homes are getting flooded resulting in long term issues and damages that will plague the communities for months after.

My coworker said on her walk thru the neighborhood she sees "waterfalls" on every 3rd home or so (slab on grade foundation w/ water lines in the ceiling). 

I feel for the peeps...but zero tolerance for those jerks in Texas government...Ted Cruz can suck it

17 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

What was Ted Cruz's role in this? Did I miss something? 

https://www.sfgate.com/news/houston-texas/article/Ted-Cruz-Twitter-California-blackouts-energy-power-15953893.php

here's his tweet

"California is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity. Biden/Harris/AOC want to make CA’s failed energy policy the standard nationwide. Hope you don’t like air conditioning!

also

Some angry Lefty actor thinks California is the only place that has Summer. It’s hot everywhere—try Texas every summertime—but the rest of the country doesn’t have such a dysfunctional state govt that you can’t turn the lights on or run A/C. That’s a policy failure of the Dems.

also by dan Crenshaw:

Alexa, show me what happens when you let Democrats control energy policy.

Texas Senator Joh Cornyn:

"Texas luring jobs away from California with the promises of electricity.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I don't know how I'd handle it.  I was outside here in SoCal last night, and it was a chilly 45 degrees and I was freezing, even bundled up.  I can't even imagine single digit temperatures, and not being able to retreat inside to get some level of comfort.

I just had a fire in my pit outside, it was 17 degrees out. The booze helps take off the edge. But I love snow, the cold, ice drinking (fishing), snowmobiling and snowboarding.  But then again, your definition of bundled up is no doubt different from mine. 

19 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

What was Ted Cruz's role in this? Did I miss something? 

He also voted against the 2012 Hurricane Sandy emergency aid bill that wiped out millions of homes. Now he is calling for federal aid.  

• Like 1

"Some angry Lefty actor thinks California is the only place that has Summer. It’s hot everywhere—try Texas every summertime—but the rest of the country doesn’t have such a dysfunctional state govt that you can’t turn the lights on or run A/C. That’s a policy failure of the Dems." (Ted Cruz tweet)

this one really chaps my hide...

Currently the COld Weather has hit the entire US...Texas had up to 4million without power...the rest of the states combined: about 130,000

What a ******

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

We left Central Texas in 2010 during the wildfires and droughts. I can still recall driving the Uhaul past burning fires on I35. We missed the floods that came later. Took the kids to a conference in Austin in 2019 and man did South Congress and that city change. It’s like Brooklyn with electric scooters everywhere.

Texas just doesn't typically get that cold.  Weather data I use say that 99.6% of the days in the year in Dallas it will be above 18.5F, so only 1.5 days in the year will get below 18.5F and 99% of the time it will be above 25.6F.

HVAC systems have less heat installed in them. Plumbing installations do not take into account this cold weather because it's just not a concern.  For example some jurisdictions have water meters installed in buildings, this is typically done in the northern states from my experience while other locations will just install them in a pit outside the building.

You'd see the similar carnage if this happen in California or Florida.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a portable generator when we went through an ice storm.  Anytime the power goes out, I roll it out hook it up and continue about my day.

1 minute ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Texas just doesn't typically get that cold.  Weather data I use say that 99.6% of the days in the year in Dallas it will be above 18.5F, so only 1.5 days in the year will get below 18.5F and 99% of the time it will be above 25.6F.

HVAC systems have less heat installed in them. Plumbing installations do not take into account this cold weather because it's just not a concern.  For example some jurisdictions have water meters installed in buildings, this is typically done in the northern states from my experience while other locations will just install them in a pit outside the building.

You'd see the similar carnage if this happen in California or Florida.

One of the best purchases I ever made was a portable generator when we went through an ice storm.  Anytime the power goes out, I roll it out hook it up and continue about my day.

but this literally happened twice: about 10 years ago and then about 10 years before that. Commissions both times made recommendations that were ignored. So I guess folks dying and over a 3rd of the state in dire: no electricity, no water (required to boil), no food, and in many cases no flushing toilets ...it's OK because it doesn't happen that much?

look I can say you'd have to be an idiot to run your car in a closed garage (but children died too; which is really sad); but the government has failed to protect their citizens. And now the list of finger pointing is endless. And yet all this happened just 10 years ago...and then 10 years ago before that.

Not to say it's just Texas; altho their leaders comments above and them thinking that Texas doesn't need help from other states grids makes the situation especially daming...I have nothing but scorn for the CA government in their handling of wildfires.

16 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Better yet,  you should go one step further and consider installing an automatic standby.  We have a  propane powered generac that clicks on instantly.   But we already had propane on property fueling our radiant floors. 

https://www.zoro.com/generac-20-lp17-ng-kw-automatic-standby-generator-120208vac-7077/i/G1181247/?recommended=true

Crazy to think Cruz can delay emergency relief for others for months on end and now cry for immediate help.  

Edited by BricksBrotha
typo

3 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Leaving it up to the government to make sure of your safety in situations like this is probably a mistake no one should make. 

99% of the population is woefully unprepared for 48 hours without electricity. There are solutions. Government isn't one of them. 

I'm a fan of the PROPANE powered portable generator available at Costco for $700. Connects to the same propane tank I have for the Weber; flick the switch and voila; power for over 48 hours straight w/ a full tank.  Never felt comfortable w/ the gasoline ones (altho this can also handle gasoline). It's a godsend and I high recommend it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

but this literally happened twice: about 10 years ago and then about 10 years before that. Commissions both times made recommendations that were ignored. So I guess folks dying and over a 3rd of the state in dire: no electricity, no water (required to boil), no food, and in many cases no flushing toilets ...it's OK because it doesn't happen that much?

look I can say you'd have to be an idiot to run your car in a closed garage (but children died too; which is really sad); but the government has failed to protect their citizens. And now the list of finger pointing is endless. And yet all this happened just 10 years ago...and then 10 years ago before that.

Not to say it's just Texas; altho their leaders comments above and them thinking that Texas doesn't need help from other states grids makes the situation especially daming...I have nothing but scorn for the CA government in their handling of wildfires.

I live in Texas closer to the countryside than the city - people that arent prepared suffered - yes some places have had it hard - several of my employees havent had power for three days - but despite what you see on the news - we have fuel, roads arent that bad and there is food available. I have been driving every day with no issue.

We dont want the government to protect us - protect yourself.

Edited by glostik
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Leaving it up to the government to make sure of your safety in situations like this is probably a mistake no one should make. 

99% of the population is woefully unprepared for 48 hours without electricity. There are solutions. Government isn't one of them. 

Growing up in Ohio, it wouldn't be uncommon to go 5+ days without power during the Winter.  We also had 5+ days without power during the Summer about 10 years ago after being hit by a Derecho.  We do have generators, deep freezers, and fireplaces, so I guess you could say we're better prepared.

From some of the video I've seen, the plumbing in apartment complexes and houses in Texas are definitely not up to code for freezing temperatures.

31 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm not saying that it's OK, I'm saying that they just don't build for the cold weather.  Below is a snip from an article, they just didn't anticipate this, hence the scheduled maintenance or they weren't designed to operate in this temperature.

"By far the biggest outages have come from our natural gas plants," Daniel Cohan, associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, told CBS MoneyWatch reporter Irina Ivanova. "A portion were down for scheduled maintenance. Others weren't designed to operate reliably in extreme cold weather and others haven't been able to get enough natural gas supply."

"It appears that a lot of the generation that has gone offline today has been primarily due to issues on the natural gas system," Dan Woodfin, a senior director at ERCOT, told reporters.

You lost me with the rambling about running a car in a garage...

8 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I understand the sentiment...but the reality is most folks live in cities.

so if you lived in an apartment in the middle of a city...what would you do?  No place for a generator, limited space for any kind of storage.

Move.  I know that's not a popular answer, but if you truly valued your own safety and security over the convenience and amenities of a city, you would not live in an apartment.

If you don't have any room to store anything then any kind of preparing is out putting you at risk for situations like this.

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so if you lived in an apartment in the middle of a city...what would you do?  No place for a generator, limited space for any kind of storage.

Sure, it's different if you don't own your residence. 

I'm just talking about having a plan, nothing more.  Whether it's relatives, hotels, or shelters, a person can't afford to not think about these situations ahead of time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Say what you will about Cruz’s rhetoric—that dude is rocking a legit carney mullet. Nothing quite says I’m here to challenge your policy but up to party afterwards.
575373a45e357c41b0f36baa9da5dea2.jpg

WTH am I looking at.

I want to believe that is fake, but that just cannot be.

They say politicians are out of touch with reality.  May I present Exhibit A.

1 hour ago, BricksBrotha said:

Crazy to think Cruz can delay emergency relief for others for months on end and now cry for immediate help.  

Crazy?  Or SurprisedPikachuFace.gif?

• Haha 1