10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

Horizon doesnt have any motor functions though ... too bad ...

Train collectors don't need every single train to come with motorization. it is easy to just pop the motor parts onto whichever engine(s) from your collection you want to run. If every engine came with a motor, battery pack, IR receiver, and remote it would unnecessarily raise the prices. The key thing is that there be a way to "officially" and easily motorize it.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

A lot of money for half a train without power or track and I just wish that they'd include both ends and sell it as a proper set.  I passed on it for that reason.

A lot of money for half a train without power or track and I just wish that they'd include both ends and sell it as a proper set.  I passed on it for that reason.

Train collectors don't need every train to come with more track. Again that would be an unnecessary expense and you would end up with more track than you knew what to do with (especially curved track).

It isn't carved in stone, but as a rule of thumb:

• Trains with track = sets for children
  • Trains without track = sets for adults

I can say as a train person. This set is amazing. The build is much better than any of the other train sets like the emerald night or the maersk. It was a lot of fun. The only draw back is I agree with others that it really is much more impressive with a second set for display purposes. I think it will do decent once retired but not like the others. I also fully believe that you will want a second one after you display this train.

The other trains that come with track and functions are a fraction of the build as these other trains. No way as nice. To me they are fun to build and perfect for my boys to play with. The other trains are the equivalent to a modular where the train set is on par with the basic city sets. Both are fun and great to build. But drastic in comparison.

Just my two cents though

all lego trains are half in length or even less. You will need to add more carriages to make the train look "normal".

The horizontal express is great in that you only need to combine 2 sets to form a sufficiently long train that looks impressive, with minimal leftover bricks. Then you can choose to add in one or two motors with receivers and only 1IR controller, and buy as many tracks as you desire. This is truly a modular train.

all lego trains are half in length or even less. You will need to add more carriages to make the train look "normal".

Sorry but this is not 100% true. At least, in europe...

There are about two kinds of passenger trains:

- some for long distance (to travel through the country - 300km / 1000km)

- some for short distance (to travel through a region - 50km / 300km )

Long distance:

Horizon express (vintage TGV), passenger trains 7897 and 60051 (ICE trains from DB)...

You'll need two sets to see them longer and more accurate in size.

But the 7938 is quite correct in size (you can even consider it's too long !)

d11.jpg

c11.jpg

NB: the train above is a X-73X00 (73500/73800/73900...) model from Alstom, used by the SNCF (France, most of the time they are blue), and also at the frontier between France and Germany (the red model in picture is one of them, and belongs to the DB).

Edited by biniou
  • Like 3

Sorry but this is not 100% true. At least, in europe...

There are about two kinds of passenger trains:

- some for long distance (to travel through the country - 300km / 1000km)

- some for short distance (to travel through a region - 50km / 300km )

Long distance:

Horizon express (vintage TGV), passenger trains 7897 and 60051 (ICE trains from DB)...

You'll need two sets to see them longer and more accurate in size.

But the 7938 is quite correct in size (you can even consider it's too long !)

NB: the train above is a X-73X00 (73500/73800/73900...) model from Alstom, used by the SNCF (France, most of the time they are blue), and also at the frontier between France and Germany (the red model in picture is one of them, and belongs to the DB).

Funny that even in a train that small, they still make a 1st and second class

To me 7938 looks more like this one. But what do I know about trains...

You're certainly right, because there are 3 wagons and colors fit better (the white line).

It also makes more sense because the red 73X00 is quite rare.

edit: the red X73X00 (X73900 serie) has a Diesel motor, so it's definitely not this one. The 7938 lego set is certaily inspired from an electric version of the Alstom Coradia Lint 81 you showed us. Good job ! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstom_Coradia_LINT#LINT_54_and_LINT_81

To me 7938 looks more like this one. But what do I know about trains... 

Lint_K%C3%B6ln_Testgleis.jpg

7938 carriage is shorter, and each of this real life train carriage is like double the carriage length of 7938. So a six carriages setup for 7938 will look more realistic.

I think most people will agree that a realistic train has to be long enough to look right. Otherwise it just looks like a airport shuttle or city tram.

7938 carriage is shorter, and each of this real life train carriage is like double the carriage length of 7938. So a six carriages setup for 7938 will look more realistic.

I think most people will agree that a realistic train has to be long enough to look right. Otherwise it just looks like a airport shuttle or city tram.

Maybe because you are in singapore (density: 7,615/km

Edited by biniou

I built this set and absolutely love it. The build was far more technical than the box graphic would imply. I have several stocked for investment, and will acquire a few more.

That there is NOT a lot of buzz on this one makes it more appealing to me... Less stockpiling by fellow investors + the passion of LG train enthusiasts (of which I am one) are a recipe I like.

Hoping I'm right!!

Edited by Cross
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

Does anyone know if Lego uses a standard model gauge (eg. O gauge 7mm) for its current trains? I ask as I'd love to run some weatherproof track around the garden. Then I'll buy enough HEs to build a full length TGV say, 12 coaches and sell the excess head units. I've not opened one of my sets yet to measure the bogies.

Does anyone know if Lego uses a standard model gauge (eg. O gauge 7mm) for its current trains? I ask as I'd love to run some weatherproof track around the garden. Then I'll buy enough HEs to build a full length TGV say, 12 coaches and sell the excess head units. I've not opened one of my sets yet to measure the bogies.

LEGO has never used a "standard gauge" for trains. Some train fans refer to the current system as "L Gauge".

As much as I like LEGO trains they don't seem like a very good choice for a garden train. If I really wanted to go down that path I'd probably buy some real garden train track and rolling stock, then build LEGO MOCs atop those chassis.

here are some rumors i heard today:

1) lego hotline: HE has its last run, it should go EOL at the end of 2014 / beginning of 2015

2) lego store in vienna: same 

any US people with thoughts or rumors?

Still limit 2 in North America. I'd be very surprised to see another large set EOL at this point, mostly because there is no train rumored to replace it. Maybe someone can help my memory, as I thought the HE 'replaced' the Maersk, and although I don't think they were available from S&**** at the same time, there wasn't much of a gap at all between them.