10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

I would say it will be around for another year or so. No information on that, just my gut feeling since sets like Sopwith Camel or VW Camper Van (which in my opinion target the same audience) also have a shelflife of 2 years +.

To power it, I just bought another train with powerfunctions (7938 passenger train and 7939 cargo train). Cheaper way to power it than the 9v equipment and you get a lot extra.

I originally bought 5 from TRU with the free Y-Wing promo. I wasnt really impressed with it looking online but once I got the sets in I have to say that it is a mighty fine looking choo choo. I will be loading up on this one BIG TIME before it EOLS. I missed out on the Emerald and had to buy my only two Maersks at 50% above MSRP. Not gonna make the same mistake with the Horizon....

• 3 weeks later...

I know there are several posts on the horizon. Nevertheless i'd like to start an update on thoughts about this train. (sorry for my english, it's not the best  :shifty: )

First of all, i am a huge fan of lego trains. I had a big collection of 12V trains. My masterpiece was a 7777 (from the idea book). It took me several ebay auctions to build this train. If you guys are interested, i can post some pictures. Sadly i had to sell my whole 12V Lego collection for my second passion

post-30512-0-33653000-1388954569_thumb.j

post-30512-0-17475200-1388954625_thumb.j

I think the orange is rather striking and I'm a fan.  With the updated set w/power functions I agree it is unlikely to go EOL soon, but the leaked summer wave with a new train station, passenger train and cargo train might help ease the Horizon into retirement.  It'll be interesting to see what those sets look like - not saying they'll replace the Horizon, but will compete for shelf space perhaps.

From the rumor mill there is another passenger and cargo train coming out for '14 for the City line.  I'm not very happy about it since the last versions are just leaving.  I would love to see another brand name engine like the old Santa Fe trains or another BNSF engine before another plain City version. 

I think it's ok to bring some new city trains. 7938 / 7939 came out in 2010. So it's time to make a new line.

But i'm with you (Huskers). I'd like to see more trains. We only got 3 trains right now. (2 city, horizon) I don't count the lone ranger and monster fighter trains. (plus they are EOL right now)

So lego, give us more trains!!! The Big Boy would be nice too. And give us remote controlled stuff, just like in the 12V system back!

Thanks for posting the pictures. Really cool to see, that must have been a challenge to collect.

I am a fan of the Horizon Express. I agree that two is optimal. Being from the US, but having been lucky enough to travel a tiny bit in Europe for work, I think US folks probably don't appreciate the appeal in the same way as others around the world do that have trains as a more normal mode of transport.

My wish list, although it would be a little funny, would be for a NY Subway train.

Guest TabbyBoy

If the Horizon Express was a full train rather than just the front half, I'd be interested.  Hopefully LEGO will release a "complete" version.

hehe, beat me to it :)

So with the rumor of new passenger and cargo trains this summer, we should be stocking up on 7938 & 7939.

Also, if you ever see old 12v train parts going cheap in a bulk lot, buy if you can. They are very lucrative. :D I bought approx 6kg last year for

• 2 months later...

Are you talking about to build or to invest in? Not investing in any is just plain silly IMO

No no, I have purchased a few for investment purposes, but it just isn't my favorite designed train... I just prefer others. The new 60052 looks nice, and I plan to motorize my true Ghost Train after parts arrive. I think my comment came off wrong haha.

• Like 1