10233 - Horizon Express

fxdl96

Good train, but won't be getting the set. Don't like the design of the front car, no matter how accurate it is to it's real life counterpart.

I wasn't much of a fan of it when it was first released. My feelings changed when I saw it built in a LEGO store.  I have two sets now and would love to get them moving as fast as the train in the video.

• Like 1

two things

1. I did not realize that it could do that much of an incline
  2. What would be cheaper, a new car or building that display.

My girls and I love the trains and most likely will get that one too.

Yes, that display is sweet.  I'm not sure if it would be more expensive than the average new car, but it would definitely have a better resale value!

The trains are a treat.  I like the young lad's 'Wow!' at 1:18 into the video.

Talk about the ultimate train set. Now if only I had the space. I don't get why whomever felt like adding in those realistic 'zooming' sound effects towards the end of the clip though. That was kind of a nice touch; I just enjoy the sound of the clickety-clack from the Lego track.

Lol they seemed to slow it down significantly after it hit the camera and it flew off the rails

I replayed that bit around 1:24 a few times over. Haha, classic.

It's nice but I'm very much impressed by the winter village and the wooden village at 0'20" :santa:

About that train as I said before in other threads it will do extremely well in Europe and particularly in France because it's certainly the most iconic train in my country. Too bad it's not official.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is anyone tucking a few of these away every couple months?  I wouldn't want to miss out on this train.

I just have one.  It's not my favorite and since it's not a trademarked brand like Maersk I'm not sure it will have the same appeal.  It is a cool train, but you almost need two to make it complete.  

• Like 1

Is anyone tucking a few of these away every couple months?  I wouldn't want to miss out on this train.

I am, because it will be popular in europe (that train existed and was popular, at least in France it's a legend).

But I don't know inside US. Ok it's a train, but there are a lot of cons (no tracks, not motorized, half a train, unkown in the US, etc.)

Those cons for a large part (no tracks, no power functions, European) also apply to the Maersk Train and that did quite well in the U.S. I wouldn't worry about it. This one will be popular among train enthusiasts everywhere.

Most train sets never included track nor power items in their non-deluxe shop@home editions . No big deal.

The orange bricks are "love 'em or hate 'em) and the train model isn't widely iconic like the Emerald Night (A3 Pacific) but should still do fine after retirement.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps I should get a couple more horizons in case they unexpectedly retire it. It's at limit 2 now and has also been out for 2 years at the end of this year. I already have 2 in my own personal collection. 

I'll also pick up a couple maersk triple-e ships. one for myself and one to keep.

HE and EEE sounds like a solid plan.  we know how folks are about their Lego trains and ships. 

while i seriously doubt HE will grow as rapidly as it's 3 predecessors, it will catch people off-guard when it nears retirement.

Noob question: how well have trains been doing?

It looks like the Emerald Night and and the Maersk trains are doing well. Are they different from the others?

Does the fact that TLG releases new train sets regularly affect them at all?

Sorry I'm completely clueless about trains (and not much better with other sets).

is it me or does trains like Horizon and Pasenger and High Speed all kinda look alike?  will this devalue them in the long run?  Funny how Horizon is a exclusive while High Speed and Cargo train arent ...

with that said, i have not one Horizon ... maybe i should grab just a couple ...

Edited by jaylay

is it me or does trains like Horizon and Pasenger and High Speed all kinda look alike? will this devalue them in the long run? Funny how Horizon is a exclusive while High Speed and Cargo train arent ...

with that said, i have not one Horizon ... maybe i should grab just a couple ...

The new City high-speed passenger train does look a tad look the HE. I assume the main diffs are the HE's higher element count, including a 2nd pass car, and somewhat being harder to find (online only in some parts of the world). I like how the City Set includes track and the small platform for only $20 more but it's still designed for smaller kids compared to the HE.

Who knows about retail lifespans nowadays with Lego but Exclusive trains usually only last 2-3 years so this set should be closer to the end than beginning. I would advise on picking up some.