Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

10 minutes ago, Bartat said:

This may be a completely different case but I did have something odd a little while ago that was something like this.

Buyer placed orders for 4 different items (2 x 200+ sets and 2 x smaller sets) asked for all to go to different addresses and to not include package slips (I get the impression he did not want the recipients to know the sets were from eBay). Buyer has > 1400 rating and 100% positive but also has all feedback marked as private. Seemed odd to me but transaction all went OK.

Only model I could think at the time that he was using was that he was selling these items on another platform at an even higher price and then buying from eBay but in hindsight it might have been closer to one of the above scenarios.

They're a drop shipper (probably on Amazon) so that's why they don't want you to include the packing slip. I usually throw one in and thank them for buying from Ebay!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

how long does it actually take to get money from this managed payments.

sell item, buyer paid. wait 2 days to process. 3 days later payment sent. still nothing after a week... complete shambles

Did you go in and select Daily payouts or are you set to weekly?

One for the road, I guess.  Truth be told I thought they retired this thing a few years ago.  It feels like the end of an era.  Damn I have been doing this shit for too long :drag:

And just like good ol eBay, that link for special certificate did not create the personalized certificate they promised :P

image.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

One for the road, I guess.  Truth be told I thought they retired this thing a few years ago.  It feels like the end of an era.  Damn I have been doing this shit for too long :drag:

And just like good ol eBay, that link for special certificate did not create the personalized certificate they promised :P

image.png

I kept seeing references about PowerSeller status every now and then, but yeah never understood why it was still around

One for the road, I guess.  Truth be told I thought they retired this thing a few years ago.  It feels like the end of an era.  Damn I have been doing this **** for too long :drag:
And just like good ol eBay, that link for special certificate did not create the personalized certificate they promised
http://bp-forum.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2021_05/image.png.0dd6445c4462344fedd19d705911fa5b.png

I got it to. I feel like this is the reseller equivalent of surviving the some horror movie. Gotta thank eBay for that customized certificate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

One for the road, I guess.  Truth be told I thought they retired this thing a few years ago.  It feels like the end of an era.  Damn I have been doing this **** for too long :drag:

I laughed when the certificate generator didn't work. It was a nice send off...

Had that annual buyer who makes me question why I do this...

Sold a mixed lot of City Police & Firemen.  Pictures had them all jumbled.  Made no claim as to how many complete figures.  It's perfect for kids because they can mix & match, etc.  What collector would buy a mixed up lot of frankenstein City figures?

Well, the buyer was irate because the lot had a few more torsos than pants.  So irate he would email a curt sentence.  Then minutes later email another.  I think he did this 8x.  Then he demanded a partial refund.

I offered him 15% off and assured him that my listing was not meant to mislead and that kids love to mix up figures.

He replied that I needed to give him over 40% off for being 'not cool'.  Plus he was a Lego investor and recently got over 72 figures for $60.

I suggested he return the item which he did because I would not cough up 40% off.

Silver lining...he left me positive feedback days before his diatribe.  So in his return comments is a diatribe about how eBay should let him leave bad comments because I am cheating and tricking people.

Buyer blocked, my rant is over...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I got hit hard today. Buyer requesting refund on 500 plus set. Says the box arrived with nothing but bubble wrap. That was pretty heavy bubble wrap if that's the case. Anywho, am I doomed here? I contacted ebay to ask them the same question, they said the buyer has to present proof of this claim. I didnt' quite understand that as the buyer has uploaded a box that I didn't use and bubble wrap that I don't use either. I use paper. They told me they would contact buyer to fill out the proof of claim I think he called it.  Anyone have experience, am I doomed here...if so put me out of my misery.

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

I got hit hard today. Buyer requesting refund on 500 plus set. Says the box arrived with nothing but bubble wrap. That was pretty heavy bubble wrap if that's the case. Anywho, am I doomed here? I contacted ebay to ask them the same question, they said the buyer has to present proof of this claim. I didnt' quite understand that as the buyer has uploaded a box that I didn't use and bubble wrap that I don't use either. I use paper. They told me they would contact buyer to fill out the proof of claim I think he called it.  Anyone have experience, am I doomed here...if so put me out of my misery.

Sorry to hear, but you are really not looking too good.

You  could ask for a return, and hope that the buyer messes up the process in some way (or if someone forgets to scan on delivery back to you).

1 hour ago, KShine said:

Sorry to hear, but you are really not looking too good.

You  could ask for a return, and hope that the buyer messes up the process in some way (or if someone forgets to scan on delivery back to you).

Yeah that's what I figured. It says ebay is reviewing the case, but I'm pretty sure they will rule in the buyers favor.  Now to make up in sales what I'm losing with this one...arghhhhh  My first large scummy return in the past 5 years. I guess I was due.

9 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

Yeah that's what I figured. It says ebay is reviewing the case, but I'm pretty sure they will rule in the buyers favor.  Now to make up in sales what I'm losing with this one...arghhhhh  My first large scummy return in the past 5 years. I guess I was due.

Do you have pictures  of when you shipped it? Any receipts showing the size and or weight of the package? Something to counter the empty box claim? If  it went  USPS, they can pull the travel logs and when and where it was scanned. May provide additional backing evidence for you.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr_Coat said:

Do you have pictures  of when you shipped it? Any receipts showing the size and or weight of the package? Something to counter the empty box claim? If  it went  USPS, they can pull the travel logs and when and where it was scanned. May provide additional backing evidence for you.

Thanks. Yeah I'm providing as much info and pics as possible to try and defend my case. Thanks for the reply.

2 hours ago, LegoBro said:

this happened to me.  lost the case.  because it was shipping from UPS they claimed they needed info from case and ebay erased it screwing me.  Was it a Russian name from Oregon?  probably the same person.

Just now, vexxet said:

this happened to me.  lost the case.  because it was shipping from UPS they claimed they needed info from case and ebay erased it screwing me.  Was it a Russian name from Oregon?  probably the same person.

I used fed ex. It's some buyer in my state California. One feedback buyer (so I knew the risk - thousands of transactions and never had an issue with one feedback buyers until today.)  I'll definitely make this up elsewhere, but it'll sting for a bit.

I used fed ex. It's some buyer in my state California. One feedback buyer (so I knew the risk - thousands of transactions and never had an issue with one feedback buyers until today.)  I'll definitely make this up elsewhere, but it'll sting for a bit.

This seems outrageous to me. I always assumed eBay would side with a seller with thousands of successful transactions and 100% feedback over a new member with no history. I mean the seller has so much to lose to risk it over one item when they sell 10-100k or more annually. A machine learning algorithm would never side with the buyer based on this data. I have never had a bad eBay sale over 10 years and assumed my feedback and long history of expensive items sales would insulate us from scammers but will be curious to see what info we really need to have to guard against this issue. We should determine collectively exactly what data is needed to win such cases!

Size and weight should matter if you document them as others have noted. I would assume FedEx tracks weight and size carefully along the route so if you have a report showing that the item you dropped off weighed so and so it would be pretty clear that someone either stole the contents or the buyer is scamming you.

• Like 3