Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

• 2 weeks later...

Received email today from Ebay. Four of my listings were removed. Apparently flagged or reported as counterfeit. I don't sell counterfeit LEGO or even other brands such as Mega Brands. Contacting ebay is a chore. Contacted ebay using live chat. Spent a few minutes with the automated chat bot before I was able to request an actual agent. 

It bothers me that my listings were removed before consulting with me or asking for authenticity. Call ended with them pushing my case to someone that will review my case. Should expect an email in 72 hours. I'm sitting on inventory for days now waiting. I wasn't asked for info to prove that my items are authentic. So what's the point? How will they decide?

Wasn't given info as to how my listings were identified as "counterfeit". Curious.. was this a competitor reporting my listings? LEGO reported my listings? A buyer? I had no negative feedback or messages from customers with complaints or questions. 

And I constantly see obvious counterfeit LEGO in droves listed on Ebay. 

Just venting. Also curious if others recently encountered this or is it just me. 

Below is the original email from Ebay minus the listing info 

"We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Counterfeit item policy. We don’t allow counterfeit items, replicas, or unauthorized copies.

What activity didn't follow the policy

We removed this item to protect you and your buyers, because we believe it is likely to be counterfeit. To make this decision we consider the details you provided about your item, reports we receive from brands or members of the community, buyer feedback and the reasons buyers returned the item. Please do not relist this item.

What you need to do next

Items removed for this policy cannot be relisted. Please ensure that your future listings are for authentic items only. For these items, they should be described accurately and completely, so buyers know that it is an authentic item.

What is the policy

- Counterfeit products are illegal and not allowed on eBay. Examples include:
-- Fakes, copies or replicas of brand name items (for example, a shoe with the Nike name or logo that wasn’t made by Nike)
-- Electronics or accessories that use or bear the brand name, logo or trademark of a company that didn’t manufacture the item
-- Bootleg recordings from concerts or other live shows
-- Unauthorized or pirated copies of movies, videos or software
- Listings with photos that hide or blur trademarks are not allowed
- If you’re not certain that your item is authentic, or if an authenticator has been unable to confirm its authenticity, it may not be listed
- We may remove listings if we receive buyer complaints that the item is not authentic. These items may not be relisted

How this affects your account

Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

- Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended. 
- We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s). 

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended.

Why we have this policy

This policy prevents the sale of counterfeit items, which are illegal, and could expose sellers to legal risk. Removing them protects sellers and their buyers from buyer protection claims and financial loss.

Listings not following policy:"
Edited by ponderingzissou

15 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

Received email today from Ebay. Four of my listings were removed. Apparently flagged or reported as counterfeit. I don't sell counterfeit LEGO or even other brands such as Mega Brands. Contacting ebay is a chore. Contacted ebay using live chat. Spent a few minutes with the automated chat bot before I was able to request an actual agent. 

It bothers me that my listings were removed before consulting with me or asking for authenticity. Call ended with them pushing my case to someone that will review my case. Should expect an email in 72 hours. I'm sitting on inventory for days now waiting. I wasn't asked for info to prove that my items are authentic. So what's the point? How will they decide?

Wasn't given info as to how my listings were identified as "counterfeit". Curious.. was this a competitor reporting my listings? LEGO reported my listings? A buyer? I had no negative feedback or messages from customers with complaints or questions. 

And I constantly see obvious counterfeit LEGO in droves listed on Ebay. 

Just venting. Also curious if others recently encountered this or is it just me. 

Below is the original email from Ebay minus the listing info 

"We had to remove your listing because it didn’t follow our Counterfeit item policy. We don’t allow counterfeit items, replicas, or unauthorized copies.

What activity didn't follow the policy

We removed this item to protect you and your buyers, because we believe it is likely to be counterfeit. To make this decision we consider the details you provided about your item, reports we receive from brands or members of the community, buyer feedback and the reasons buyers returned the item. Please do not relist this item.

What you need to do next

Items removed for this policy cannot be relisted. Please ensure that your future listings are for authentic items only. For these items, they should be described accurately and completely, so buyers know that it is an authentic item.

What is the policy

- Counterfeit products are illegal and not allowed on eBay. Examples include:
-- Fakes, copies or replicas of brand name items (for example, a shoe with the Nike name or logo that wasn’t made by Nike)
-- Electronics or accessories that use or bear the brand name, logo or trademark of a company that didn’t manufacture the item
-- Bootleg recordings from concerts or other live shows
-- Unauthorized or pirated copies of movies, videos or software
- Listings with photos that hide or blur trademarks are not allowed
- If you’re not certain that your item is authentic, or if an authenticator has been unable to confirm its authenticity, it may not be listed
- We may remove listings if we receive buyer complaints that the item is not authentic. These items may not be relisted

How this affects your account

Because you may not have been aware of this policy, we're sending this notice to educate you about it and ask that you follow this policy in the future.

- Listings that didn't follow this policy have been ended. 
- We have credited all associated fees except for payments processing fees and the final value fee for your listing(s). 

Listings that don't follow this policy in the future will be ended.

Why we have this policy

This policy prevents the sale of counterfeit items, which are illegal, and could expose sellers to legal risk. Removing them protects sellers and their buyers from buyer protection claims and financial loss.

Listings not following policy:"

2 types of vero ,  one is from the rights holder and that will list the company name and contact info.  

that one is more serious.  

the one you received is from buyers complaining.  Takes 2 people to report it and it gets removed.   

Its not as serious of a vero than one from the vendor.  Still don't relist it as that will get your account in further trouble.

What was the title?  You said you removed it but hard to see if there were any possible reasons they could remove it without that info.'

the listings are scrubbed from the site when removed so won't be able to find it anyways if that is what you are concerned about.

Edited by ravenb99

25 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

2 types of vero ,  one is from the rights holder and that will list the company name and contact info.  

that one is more serious.  

the one you received is from buyers complaining.  Takes 2 people to report it and it gets removed.   

Its not as serious of a vero than one from the vendor.  Still don't relist it as that will get your account in further trouble.

What was the title?  You said you removed it but hard to see if there were any possible reasons they could remove it without that info.'

the listings are scrubbed from the site when removed so won't be able to find it anyways if that is what you are concerned about.

Thanks! I'm learning. Had to look up VERO

One of the listings has never actually sold. So guessing that wasn't a buyer that reported that one

8 minutes ago, ponderingzissou said:

Thanks! I'm learning. Had to look up VERO

One of the listings has never actually sold. So guessing that wasn't a buyer that reported that one

doesn't matter if sold or not.  Can still report.  Rights owners can VERO you on items sold at any time as well.  Had a rights vero 8 months after selling the item which is fun seeing they only stay on the search for 90 days.  

• Like 1

Sometimes if your listing title or description uses keyword spamming, it csn get flagged I.e. if you are selling a generic handbag and put in title "leather handbag NOT louis vuitton" etc.

But yes as raven says it could be people doing fake reporting.

Worth checking the ebay active listing dashboard to see how many views your listongs has, as sometimes I found out years ago some of my listings were shadow banned as I used same picture / listing title etc as another user selling the item 

• Like 2

And I thought Lego Box Queens were bad:

Buyer's note: With the propensity of any sealed LP to readily develop seam splits during shipment, my hope is that you can provide an arrangement such as a double box configuration, with the LP placed between two sheets of bubble wrap that are in turn placed between two pieces of cardboard mailers tightly taped together. Placing that inside an inner box that is in turn placed inside a larger mailer will ensure that the LP arrives in the same condition sent. Please ship USPS Priority. Best Regards, N

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

And I thought Lego Box Queens were bad:

Buyer's note: With the propensity of any sealed LP to readily develop seam splits during shipment, my hope is that you can provide an arrangement such as a double box configuration, with the LP placed between two sheets of bubble wrap that are in turn placed between two pieces of cardboard mailers tightly taped together. Placing that inside an inner box that is in turn placed inside a larger mailer will ensure that the LP arrives in the same condition sent. Please ship USPS Priority. Best Regards, N

Wow. At least you have clear instructions to follow!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 8/12/2021 at 9:33 PM, I Pitty da Foo said:

So I had something happen that screams SCAM but wanted to check if this has happened to anyone else.

Someone offered full price for one of my 21155 listings instead of just using Buy it Now. I've seen scams like this but only with new accounts, this person has 100% positive feedback since 2014. Tempting to take the offer but I feel like i would just be filing for UPI and lose time dealing with that. 

About to block/report them so watch out for the username (horva_agne) if you see it.

How does this scam work again? Just happened to me on a listing. Offer = buy it now price. Buyer has zero feedback.

Edited by BrickLover80

33 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

How does this scam work again? Just happened to me on a listing. Offer = buy it now price. Seller has zero feedback.

If your BIN listing has “immediate payment” setting turned on they may just be trying to bypass that. Make a counteroffer for $1 less if they are actually interested they will buy it. Put a note in the comments “will ship 24-48 hrs after full payment clears”.  

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, rist said:

That is confusing.

I just had a buyer win a domestic auction and the say: how much to ship to china?

I just replied stating the obvious confusing turn of events. I'll keep you all posted on where this goes. If it gets messy I'll be happy to share the buyers ID in DMs so it can be added to your block list.

Edited by MarleyMoose

12 hours ago, MarleyMoose said:

Today I received a positive feed back saying "Great seller! Product exactly as described in perfect condition!". Only to get a message from the buyer later.

Hello,

This item states delivered but I have not received.

Thanks!

DJS

🤷‍♂️

Sometimes buyers purchase several things at once and put feedback on the wrong order.  I would ignore that feedback and treat this like other item not received situations.

4 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Sometimes buyers purchase several things at once and put feedback on the wrong order.  I would ignore that feedback and treat this like other item not received situations.

I do my feedback in batches weeks after the transaction...honestly most of the time I have forgotten about the item, but figure if I don't remember anything bad it was probably all good.

25 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I replied to him and he said, " My bad I did ultimately receive sorry about the confusion!"

• Like 1

Buyer buys HP Book of Monsters from me for $47. Gets item and then sends me this....

I received the box today.

I feel completely ripped off though. Only yday, I realized that the set is available for $19.99 on Lego's website !!!!! And Paid more than twice to buy it from you.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/the-monster-book-of-monsters-30628

If you click on that link it brings up some old webpage when that set was a free GWP. Notice you can not purchase the item. 

My response:   This set has beet sold out and retired for many months. I just searched Lego website and nothing came up at all. Not sure where you are seeing it for sale for $20. You can return the set if you feel ripped off as long as you have not opened up the box at all. Meaning it needs to still be factory sealed as it was sent to you. 

(Then I saw the link he sent) which I had not seen upon my first response. So I sent this note after viewing the link:    

What you're showing with that link isn't even something you can buy. Try to add that to your cart. That's some kind of old left over screen page from when it was a free item. Sorry for your confusion but that item is not for sale on Lego.com. Again, you are welcome to return the item if you're not satisfied. TY

Then he sends me this:   I had promised my daughter this set and her birthday is tomorrow. No point sending it back at this point, but lesson learnt for next time 😞

I mean, even if this was true and it was available on Lego.com for $20 (which it is not), that really isn't my problem. But I have free returns on all my ebay listings. I simply want customers happy. So he can return the item for free if he wants to and I'll pay for the shipping. If this guy leaves me bad feedback for ripping him off I'm gonna be pissed as I have 22 years without a single negative feedback. 

• Like 1

Buyer buys HP Book of Monsters from me for $47. Gets item and then sends me this....

I feel completely ripped off though. Only yday, I realized that the set is available for $19.99 on Lego's website !!!!! And Paid more than twice to buy it from you.

If you click on that link it brings up some old webpage when that set was a free GWP. Notice you can not purchase the item. 

My response:   This set has beet sold out and retired for many months. I just searched Lego website and nothing came up at all. Not sure where you are seeing it for sale for $20. You can return the set if you feel ripped off as long as you have not opened up the box at all. Meaning it needs to still be factory sealed as it was sent to you. 
(Then I saw the link he sent) which I had not seen upon my first response. So I sent this note after viewing the link:    
What you're showing with that link isn't even something you can buy. Try to add that to your cart. That's some kind of old left over screen page from when it was a free item. Sorry for your confusion but that item is not for sale on Lego.com. Again, you are welcome to return the item if you're not satisfied. TY
Then he sends me this:   I had promised my daughter this set and her birthday is tomorrow. No point sending it back at this point, but lesson learnt for next time

I mean, even if this was true and it was available on Lego.com for $20 (which it is not), that really isn't my problem. But I have free returns on all my ebay listings. I simply want customers happy. So he can return the item for free if he wants to and I'll pay for the shipping. If this guy leaves me bad feedback for ripping him off I'm gonna be pissed as I have 22 years without a single negative feedback. 

I have one type basically quoting RRP of retired set and asking me to sell at RRP.

Another type basically quoting cheapest price on BL from overseas and demanding, yes demanding I matched that.

Straight blocked. No time to deal with such people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Ogelwoc said:

I have one type basically quoting RRP of retired set and asking me to sell at RRP.

Another type basically quoting cheapest price on BL from overseas and demanding, yes demanding I matched that.

Straight blocked. No time to deal with such people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, Block and move on. No need to engage in chit chat, always act professional in messages even if person is an idiot. If sale has already taken place, only option you have is to do a partial refund or accept return, the former being the easiest and less likely to end up with a damaged return.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, Gonkalin said:

What they are seeing is simply the estimated value of the GWP, it's not actually sold or available for this price. TLG only includes the value for customs, tax and shipping reasons.  I've noticed they almost always include a similar price on most free items now...

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 5:46 PM, Gonkalin said:

Then he sends me this:   I had promised my daughter this set and her birthday is tomorrow. No point sending it back at this point, but lesson learnt for next time 😞

My ONLY negative feedback in the last 10 years was from someone was a shipping complaint that I didnt mail his item....despite the tracking showing where it was stuck in the holiday cluster at HIS local PO

• 2 weeks later...

"This is my first time purchasing
 on Ebay. I did find this item at a
lower cost. Would you consider
 canceling this order and
reselling it to me at a lower
cost? I didn't even realize I could
make an offer to you. It is for my
granddaughter, and I am
purchasing other Lego toys for
Christmas which can get quite
expensive!"