Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

17 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

In the past, POS scammers would open new ebay & paypal accounts, sell a bunch of phantom stocks, take the cash out of Paypal account, and run before buyers, eBay, & Paypal figured out what's going on.  The fake tracking #s bought them a few days to escape.  Paypal (meaning the rest of users) would end up covering the refund to buyers.

Not sure if this is possible with Managed Payment since it ties the eBay account to a bank account, but I am sure the POS scammers would figure out a way

For regular sellers, maybe they already had too many late delivery and/or item cancelation strikes and tried to avoid another one?  I can't think of why this would be better than canceling the order outright

Getting bank accounts from naive people in exchange for a few quid probably isn't that hard. It's how a lot of bank fraud is committed. Question is, how lucrative is it compared to other forms of fraud?

Getting bank accounts from naive people in exchange for a few quid probably isn't that hard. It's how a lot of bank fraud is committed. Question is, how lucrative is it compared to other forms of fraud?
How do they get bank account or cc info etc? I thought eBay, Amazon, Walmart or whomever handles the payment side of things and sellers don't see that info.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, mplsabdullah said:

How do they get bank account or cc info etc? I thought eBay, Amazon, Walmart or whomever handles the payment side of things and sellers don't see that info.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Well you simply message the person after telling them the payment had issues and you need them to verify the details so you can send them the monies Lego

image.png.b88121e977e18ff1e4f597c68d8c21ff.png

8 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Well you simply message the person after telling them the payment had issues and you need them to verify the details so you can send them the monies Lego

image.png.b88121e977e18ff1e4f597c68d8c21ff.png

Don't think that really applies to the scenario we where talking about where someone sends different items then you purchased to you or a completely different address.

2 minutes ago, mplsabdullah said:

Why do people have a "best offer" option if they only want to sell it for what they've listed it for or at best take a few cents off? lol

Why do people constantly ask "what's your best price " when I don't even have the best offer listed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mplsabdullah said:

Why do people have a "best offer" option if they only want to sell it for what they've listed it for or at best take a few cents off? lol

7 minutes ago, 46andTWO said:

Why do people constantly ask "what's your best price " when I don't even have the best offer listed?

Once upon a time eBay operated much like a slightly modernized flea market.  eBay is trying to get  away from that image but a lot of the users actually prefer it that way

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pseudoty said:

When eBay first started it was auction only IIRC.   I use Best offer to help find the right buyer and I will lower my price for the right buyer. 

It was auction when they started and BIN was a revolutionary idea they introduced in 3rd or 4th year.  Sellers had to pay extra to put BIN option as part of their auctions.  :P

3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Anyone else remember when you'd have to write a check, send it off, and wait three weeks for your item to get mailed to you?

Sorry, I only sold to people paying with Money Orders.  There were too many frauds with personal checks.  :P

And guess who actively told people NOT to use Paypal ?  Funny how a few years later they bought the company outright

Just looking through Lego listings on Ebay is a pain right now. So many fake sellers with 0 feedback listing sets for RRP or less. And for some reason they all say that they are from Idaho Falls, Idaho. I feel bad for anyone actually selling who is from Idaho Falls, no one is ever going to buy from them.

Until Ebay fixes this fake account stuff they will never be seen as anything more than a garage sale at best and a site full of scams at worst. Let alone actually competing with any major retailers.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

Just looking through Lego listing on Ebay is a pain right now. So many fake sellers with 0 feedback listing sets for RRP or less. And for some reason they all say that they are from Idaho Falls, Idaho. I feel bad for anyone actually selling who is from Idaho Falls, no one is ever going to buy from them.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

The thing is, in stock products are actually being delivered using new forms of credit card fraud. The new scam is to use Walmart delivery for sets. Saw something in another group where the buyer asked the seller for a tracking number, and they sent back a picture from Walmart local delivery of the bags with the sets it it in front of their house. Many other people confirming that they got great discounts on eBay and Walmart delivered them. 

Some informed the people that they could submit an INR and because there was no tracking number the scam seller would lose and the product would be free. Essentially completing the scam circle.

Grainy picture I had saved from the group:

image.png.a14617e3aa07856e8e02c9bbf0c0ec31.png

Most buyer receive their product and never complain. The scammer completes delivery, so they get their payout... and the poor person (hopefully) eventually finds the charges on their card and has to challenge the fraud. Walmart.com orders don't exactly trigger fraud alerts, so the odds of being notified by your card company are pretty remote. 

Edited by brickvoyeur

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

The thing is, in stock products are actually being delivered using new forms of credit card fraud. The new scam is to use Walmart delivery for sets. Saw something in another group where the buyer asked the seller for a tracking number, and they sent back a picture from Walmart local delivery of the bags with the sets it it in front of their house. Many other people confirming that they got great discounts on eBay and Walmart delivered them. 

Some informed the people that they could submit an INR and because there was no tracking number the scam seller would lose and the product would be free. Essentially completing the scam circle.

Grainy picture I had saved from the group:

image.png.a14617e3aa07856e8e02c9bbf0c0ec31.png

Most buyer receive their product and never complain. The scammer completes delivery, so they get their payout... and the poor person (hopefully) eventually finds the charges on their card and has to challenge the fraud. Walmart.com orders don't exactly trigger fraud alerts, so the odds of being notified by your card company are pretty remote. 

sorry, I read this 3 times and still don't get it..who is scamming who and how?  How many parties are involved and which app/companies?

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

sorry, I read this 3 times and still don't get it..who is scamming who and how?  How many parties are involved and which app/companies?

"Seller" creates eBay listing of a currently available set at a high discount

Buyer pays for the item

"Seller" uses stolen credit card/bank to purchase the item from Walmart at regular price, and has local Walmart delivery drop the item off

"Seller" gets paid after marking the item as shipped. Buyer never complains because they receive the item

Owner of the credit card gets screwed

On the back end some buyers are noticing that there is no tracking information, so they place an INR and get their money back from scam seller. So the scam seller gets nothing, the buyer gets the item fro free, and the credit card owner still gets screwed. 

4 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Buyer pays for the item

"Seller" uses stolen credit card/bank to purchase the item from Walmart at regular price, and has local Walmart delivery drop the item off

"Seller" gets paid after marking the item as shipped. Buyer never complains because they receive the item

On the back end some buyers are noticing that there is no tracking information, so they place an INR and get their money back from scam seller. So the scam seller gets nothing, the buyer gets the item fro free, and the credit card owner still gets screwed. 

thanks.

Basic stolen CC scenario w/ an Ebay/Walmart kicker...and cool reversal option

9 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Buyer pays for the item

If it's a credit card, owner of the cc has to make a phone call and all problems solved.

We all pay through credit card fees. Total losses through stolen credit cards is about $15B annually in the US.

28 minutes ago, BrickLover80 said:

If it's a credit card, owner of the cc has to make a phone call and all problems solved.

I bet only a fraction of folks check every line item on their CC statement monthly

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Anyone else remember when you'd have to write a check, send it off, and wait three weeks for your item to get mailed to you?

The crazy thing about paper checks

anyone you ever sent a check to basically has your account # and routing#

don't need much more than that to access an account...the only thing stopping mass fraud/theft is so few people actually write check🤣

10 hours ago, brickvoyeur said:

Buyer pays for the item

OK, I came across something like this recently.

Ordered a current set on Ebay for about 40% off RRP from a zero feedback guy in Texas. Received tracking info for UPS. Order came direct from Target in Target box.

I'm thinking since it's Target maybe he/she has a bunch of giftcards to use. 

Anyway I check the ad again and now seller is selling same set (3 available) at around 25% off.

Not 100% sure it's a scam.

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

OK, I came across something like this recently.

Ordered a current set on Ebay for about 40% off RRP from a zero feedback guy in Texas. Received tracking info for UPS. Order came direct from Target in Target box.

I'm thinking since it's Target maybe he/she has a bunch of giftcards to use. 

Anyway I check the ad again and now seller is selling same set (3 available) at around 25% off.

Not 100% sure it's a scam.

You aren't being scammed. Someone else was. There are several different things that could have happened.

1) Stolen credit card info

2) Stolen credit cards to buy Target gift cards

3) One of the many scams (Give me 'insert gift card' to clear this warrant, get your kid out of jail, stop the IRS from collecting) that old people fall for, all the time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iahawks550 said:

You aren't being scammed. Someone else was. There are several different things that could have happened.

1) Stolen credit card info

2) Stolen credit cards to buy Target gift cards

3) Stolen merchandise return scams (for Target gift cards)

4) One of the many scams (Give me 'insert gift card' to clear this warrant, get your kid out of jail, stop the IRS from collecting) that old people fall for, all the time

5) The list is pretty much endless

This may be a completely different case but I did have something odd a little while ago that was something like this.

Buyer placed orders for 4 different items (2 x 200+ sets and 2 x smaller sets) asked for all to go to different addresses and to not include package slips (I get the impression he did not want the recipients to know the sets were from eBay). Buyer has > 1400 rating and 100% positive but also has all feedback marked as private. Seemed odd to me but transaction all went OK.

Only model I could think at the time that he was using was that he was selling these items on another platform at an even higher price and then buying from eBay but in hindsight it might have been closer to one of the above scenarios.

11 minutes ago, Bartat said:

This may be a completely different case but I did have something odd a little while ago that was something like this.

Buyer placed orders for 4 different items (2 x 200+ sets and 2 x smaller sets) asked for all to go to different addresses and to not include package slips (I get the impression he did not want the recipients to know the sets were from eBay). Buyer has > 1400 rating and 100% positive but also has all feedback marked as private. Seemed odd to me but transaction all went OK.

Only model I could think at the time that he was using was that he was selling these items on another platform at an even higher price and then buying from eBay but in hindsight it might have been closer to one of the above scenarios.

Sounds like simple dropshipping. Feedback set to private likely to hide that they leave a lot of negatives for the people he buys from when his buyer complains. 

image.png.4a4aa1f10a028f0d2e4fdf204224e785.png

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1