Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

19 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

This seems outrageous to me. I always assumed eBay would side with a seller with thousands of successful transactions and 100% feedback over a new member with no history. I mean the seller has so much to lose to risk it over one item when they sell 10-100k or more annually. A machine learning algorithm would never side with the buyer based on this data. I have never had a bad eBay sale over 10 years and assumed my feedback and long history of expensive items sales would insulate us from scammers but will be curious to see what info we really need to have to guard against this issue. We should determine collectively exactly what data is needed to win such cases!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree and I am at 100% feedback. This one I'll risk getting the neg on. I'll update the thread and let you guys know how it goes.

After reading some of the horror stories on here I began videotaping myself packing the actual set, especially when it is over $300, but I'm a small fry.  Loosing a set like that would really, really hurt.

If the set is new, in sealed box, I show the seals.  (I then show the weight of the set itself.)   If it is used, I show all the bags, instructions, etc.  I then proceed to package the set inside the box and show the packing material I am using. 

When I'm sealing the shipping box, I will tape a piece of paper where the two pieces of cardboard meet (top and bottom) so that when the buyer opens the box, the "seal" has to be broke.  I then reweigh the entire package.  The whole time video recording everything.

I then hand-deliver it to the shipper so I get a receipt when it was received and of course use tracking.

It's a royal pain but for that added piece of mind, it's worth it.  

But as a I said, I'm a small fry so I don't do this very often.

It's not perfect, but between the video evidence and the weight at the shipper confirming the weight at my home, at least it gives me something to present to eBay.

25 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

After reading some of the horror stories on here I began videotaping myself packing the actual set, especially when it is over $300, but I'm a small fry.  Loosing a set like that would really, really hurt.

If the set is new, in sealed box, I show the seals.  (I then show the weight of the set itself.)   If it is used, I show all the bags, instructions, etc.  I then proceed to package the set inside the box and show the packing material I am using. 

When I'm sealing the shipping box, I will tape a piece of paper where the two pieces of cardboard meet (top and bottom) so that when the buyer opens the box, the "seal" has to be broke.  I then reweigh the entire package.  The whole time video recording everything.

I then hand-deliver it to the shipper so I get a receipt when it was received and of course use tracking.

It's a royal pain but for that added piece of mind, it's worth it.  

But as a I said, I'm a small fry so I don't do this very often.

It's not perfect, but between the video evidence and the weight at the shipper confirming the weight at my home, at least it gives me something to present to eBay.

I personally don't see any value of taking photos / videoing the packaging process. I don't recall ever hearing any PayPal claims ever being overturned once seller has provided this info (happy for people to post examples, I've just never heard of a successful case). Only thing I've found that PayPal cares about is tracking number and screenshot from parcel courier showing delivered / signature.

For FedEx I am unsure, but USPS was scammed so heavily during Covid last summer that the process is pretty simple to verify evidence that you shipped something vs. nothing.

Contact your local post office’s post master and explain what is going on. Ask them for a copy of the Intranet Tracking Report showing what the item weighed each time that it was scanned at each location. In addition you can request a copy of Postal Form 3811-a if the buyer claims wrong address or miss delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Had my first fruitcake.

-Buyer sends derogatory messages with pictures claiming I sent them the wrong item. Pictures include the mailer for the wrong items. The mailer has a totally different return address than what mine is (Different provinces).

-I inform the buyer of this.

-They apologize. (Sweet, crises averted)

-They then send a message a few hours later claiming to have called the RCMP about cyber crime, blah, blah, blah. Included in this message is a google street view picture of the house from the above return address. They call it ugly. I'd be hurt if it was actually my house or cared what they thought.

-They leave negative feedback talking about garbage and saying they got a refund. (They hadn't gotten a refund or even initiated a case for the order)

-I request a feedback revision as this is clearly feedback for a different seller (which they also left negative feedback for). Revision denied.

-At this point I'm like "Ok, whatever I'll just take the negative and move on"

-26 days later. Buyer requests a refund for item not delivered.(But you claimed you already received it and were refunded, make up your mind already). In the comments section they say they contacted me multiple times about not having received the item (no you didn't, quit lying already)

-Issued the $33 refund and reported the buyer. At least it wasn't $100's or $1,000's like some of you guys have lost. 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Vodium said:

Had my first fruitcake.

-Buyer sends derogatory messages with pictures claiming I sent them the wrong item. Pictures include the mailer for the wrong items. The mailer has a totally different return address than what mine is (Different provinces).

-I inform the buyer of this.

-They apologize. (Sweet, crises averted)

-They then send a message a few hours later claiming to have called the RCMP about cyber crime, blah, blah, blah. Included in this message is a google street view picture of the house from the above return address. They call it ugly. I'd be hurt if it was actually my house or cared what they thought.

-They leave negative feedback talking about garbage and saying they got a refund. (They hadn't gotten a refund or even initiated a case for the order)

-I request a feedback revision as this is clearly feedback for a different seller (which they also left negative feedback for). Revision denied.

-At this point I'm like "Ok, whatever I'll just take the negative and move on"

-26 days later. Buyer requests a refund for item not delivered.(But you claimed you already received it and were refunded, make up your mind already). In the comments section they say they contacted me multiple times about not having received the item (no you didn't, quit lying already)

-Issued the $33 refund and reported the buyer. At least it wasn't $100's or $1,000's like some of you guys have lost. 

This may not apply to ebay.ca, but I would not issue a refund for something that clearly was not your fault.  If you have tracking # that confirms delivery, you could have brought this to eBay's attention.  eBay should side with you in this case, at which point they should remove the negative feedback.

Also, you could have reported the derogatory message to eBay as soon as you received it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My ebay "External site views" suddenly dropped dramatically.

For the last few months (until the drop), I consistently averaged 250 external views a day (never fluctuating more than 5% or so).

Since 7/17, I have consistently averaged only 50 a day (no gradual change whatsoever, just a solid drop since 7/17).

Does anyone know of any ebay changes that took place at that time, that could explain this?

4 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

ebay is just a joke now. lost a case today, courier provided photo with the parcel inside the door & a signature.

sided with the buyer as he said it wasnt him.

Who was the courier? I think DPD provide approx GPS location.

Irregardless, if it says delivered I personally have won cases that way, how did you reply? Did you upload screenshot of tracking stating delivered and original postage label of correct address?

3 minutes ago, melting said:

Hmm all the item specifics say its 10272

Screen Shot 2021-08-07 at 6.57.12 AM.jpg

That is because they don’t know how to make a listing, both of their new HP BHs listings are for a retired set. This is the first pic of the set that I know of not sure how they got 3.

Last time this happened it was Apocalypsburg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

That is because they don’t know how to make a listing, both of their new HP BHs listings are for a retired set. This is the first pic of the set that I know of not sure how they got 3.

Haha he also calls it Madrid, when its clearly Barcelona, says it right on the box.

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

It looks like a legit picture of that box.  The boxart looks too good to be a fake one.  It has  FCB logo on lower right and a small shiny sticker.  The box looks legit

But is that his living room?  Meaning, does he actually have the item?

11 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

It looks like a legit picture of that box.  The boxart looks too good to be a fake one.  It has  FCB logo on lower right and a small shiny sticker.  The box looks legit

But is that his living room?  Meaning, does he actually have the item?

sent a couple of questions to the seller, see what the response is.

**Edit - they already responded saying they have them on hand for immediate shipping.**

Edited by melting

So I had something happen that screams SCAM but wanted to check if this has happened to anyone else.

Someone offered full price for one of my 21155 listings instead of just using Buy it Now. I've seen scams like this but only with new accounts, this person has 100% positive feedback since 2014. Tempting to take the offer but I feel like i would just be filing for UPI and lose time dealing with that. 

About to block/report them so watch out for the username (horva_agne) if you see it.

Edited by I Pitty da Foo
adding username