Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

2 hours ago, Mgip21 said:

Ok so I was on the other end of not receiving my package from an eBay purchase. A item says it was delivered yesterday but not to me. It was a small item that says was left in my box. I did not even bother reaching out to the seller because I know how that goes if it says it’s delivered it’s not on them.  has anybody had an issue and able to find a package after it says it was delivered but it was not. I’m sure it was delivered to someone else but I don’t see how even the postman would know who he gave it to by accident. Just seeing if anyone has had success finding their package and how you did it. Thank you 

i just had that happen on an Amazon purchase.

went to a neighbor that shared the same address number but slightly different street name and left them a note. They called later that day to say they have the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mgip21 said:

Ok so I was on the other end of not receiving my package from an eBay purchase. A item says it was delivered yesterday but not to me. It was a small item that says was left in my box. I did not even bother reaching out to the seller because I know how that goes if it says it’s delivered it’s not on them.  has anybody had an issue and able to find a package after it says it was delivered but it was not. I’m sure it was delivered to someone else but I don’t see how even the postman would know who he gave it to by accident. Just seeing if anyone has had success finding their package and how you did it. Thank you 

Delivery scans supposedly have the GPS coordinates, so, in theory, the local post office should be able to tell you where the delivery scan occurred.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Delivery scans supposedly have the GPS coordinates, so, in theory, the local post office should be able to tell you where the delivery scan occurred.

IN theory is right...which would occur if the US Postal Service had infinite resources to bring each individual customer personalized service.  

The reality is; "we have the technology; but not the man power"...is this the soert of thing AI could help with along w/ taking over the world Skynet style...cuz I'd be OK w/ the risk of the human race being obliterated...so long as I get my packages. 

mis-delivered packages will abound this holiday season;  I would bet most of them are due to the various streets, ave, courts, place, etc versions of street names...it's ridic! 

If you live on such a street, I would encourage you to google your street number and get to know your address' doppelganger on a first name basis. Make a friend and plan monthly package swaps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

I forgot about PayPal requiring sellers get signature confirmation for protection.

So, I wonder how that would work with Ebay managed payments now? Ebay doesn't require signature confirmation as far as I know.

What if a buyer says that they didn't receive it even though tracking shows delivered to correct address. They open a Ebay case, Ebay sides with the seller. Unhappy with the resolution, and since they paid with PayPal, they open a PayPal case and PayPal sides with them. Who is out the money? Buyer, seller, Ebay or PayPal?

That is incorrect.  Ebay has always required signature confirmation for transactions totaling $750 or higher, no matter who your payment provider.  IIRC the threshold was $500 way back when, but they have had this policy for a long time 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/signature-confirmation-policy?id=5154

4 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

That is incorrect.  Ebay has always required signature confirmation for transactions totaling $750 or higher for a long time. No matter who your payment provider.  IIRC the threshold was $500 way back when, but they have had this policy for a long time 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/signature-confirmation-policy?id=5154

I thought becuz Covid, signatures are not done regardless of policy

I have never been one to encounter many returns - This year I have a lot of them.

Anyone here know the % of ebay buyers (who open returns), actually follow through and return the items?

I assume that the buyers who lacked the patience to pay attention to what they were buying (size, value, etc), will also lack the attention to follow through with shipping the return.

54 minutes ago, KShine said:

I have never been one to encounter many returns - This year I have a lot of them.

Anyone here know the % of ebay buyers (who open returns), actually follow through and return the items?

I assume that the buyers who lacked the patience to pay attention to what they were buying (size, value, etc), will also lack the attention to follow through with shipping the return.

I haven't had any returns yet, but this is the first year with free returns enabled, so I'm expecting an uptick with that. :( That, or people buying replacement gifts since the ones shipped went MIA for weeks. :(

1 hour ago, lodibricks said:

I haven't had any returns yet, but this is the first year with free returns enabled, so I'm expecting an uptick with that. :( That, or people buying replacement gifts since the ones shipped went MIA for weeks. :(

This is my concern as well.  The longer our shipments go MIA and product comes back into stock, the cheaper prices will fall and the likelihood of returns or worse, non-delivery cases increases. *sigh*  Wish we could sue the USPS, even in small claims courts.

EDIT: I just had one deliver today 12/31 to a customer 2.5 hours drive from me.  Took 15 days from drop-off to arrival.  So much for 1-Day Priority Mail.  I will seriously reconsider delivery options in the future.  

I now have one more shipment that has been sitting in a regional PO for the last three days.

Edited by exracer327
  • Sad 1

That is incorrect.  Ebay has always required signature confirmation for transactions totaling $750 or higher, no matter who your payment provider.  IIRC the threshold was $500 way back when, but they have had this policy for a long time 
Ok, thanks... now that you mentioned it I do remember the >$750 requirement.

But, my question still stands. Let's say it is a $500 item, so Ebay doesn't require signature confirmation. Who is out the $500, buyer, seller, PayPal or Ebay?

7 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:

But, my question still stands. Let's say it is a $500 item, so Ebay doesn't require signature confirmation. Who is out the $500, buyer, seller, PayPal or Ebay?

I believe that PayPal’s signature threshold is aligned with Ebay so in that scenario the seller should be protected and the buyer would be “out” the $500 (assuming the item was really not delivered)

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

This is just my theory based on dealing with Paypal for 7+ years.  There is an arbitrary amount that Paypal can spend out of their pocket per case just to appease both buyer and seller.  If the transaction in question is above that amount, say $500, then Paypal would side with buyer and would require seller to fight (show evidence, etc) to get that money back

It was $250 per changing to 750.  They got to many complaints from customers not being home and missing shipments.

As long as the zip code matches you are covered with a delivered scan.  There are times where eBay will still refund the buyer out of their pocket.  Usually give everyone a one time courtesy.  Can always tell the ones that abuse it as they close with no refund do to buyer.   PayPal was great cause they never held funds if your account was longstanding with no issues.  Had many $250-500 unauthorized charge backs and always won them.   The ones that go through eBay then PayPal usually have a tough time cause in the notes you could also put customer already tried through eBay and was denied.

Had a few disputes in managed payments and so far seems the same.   They did change the $750 threshold to include tax and shipping so watch that.  It gives you a warning message on any higher dollar item that comes close.  It still auto adds it if for sure over $750 sold price if using shipping through eBay.    Managed payments holds funds for anything dispute or case wise so hurts a bit more. 

As far as returns I'd say 75-80% follow through on average.  

Edited by ravenb99
  • Like 2

Can someone with the new eBay managed payment experience tell me how the fee really works?  I registered for the new eBay managed payment sometimes last year but haven't really sold anything since then until now.   So I just sold two items that look like the following:

Item 1:
List Price: $369
Sales Tax: $38.31
Total: $407.31
eBay Fee: -$50.60
Payout to me: $318.40

Item 2:
List Price: $399
Sales Tax: $0
Total: $399
eBay Fee: -$49.58
Payout to me: $349.42

The part that I don't understand is why the fee is higher on Item 1 even when its list price is lower than the Item 2?  I checked the eBay Seller Hub page but couldn't find how the fee got calculated.  Thanks in advance.

Paypal was charging it as well so really nothing different there. Before you had the ebay fees then the payment processing fee from Paypal which did collect on sales tax too as its off total payment processed.

that's the least of your worries from managed payments as well.

16 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Paypal was charging it as well so really nothing different there. Before you had the ebay fees then the payment processing fee from Paypal which did collect on sales tax too as its off total payment processed.

ah ok, that explains it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravenb99 said:

ebay fvf was not on sales tax 

with the new managed payments system there is a full fvf on sales tax 

so although the paypal fee was on the sales tax the main fee fvf was not

at the end of the day with the new managed payments you are paying more (unless its going to one of the few sates that don't charge sales tax)

ebay advertising that your fees will be lower is a complete falsehood

15 minutes ago, river41 said:

ebay fvf was not on sales tax 

with the new managed payments system there is a full fvf on sales tax 

so although the paypal fee was on the sales tax the main fee fvf was not

at the end of the day with the new managed payments you are paying more (unless its going to one of the few sates that don't charge sales tax)

cant' really look at it like that.  You were paying 10% (non discounted rate before).   So 2.35 for the processing isn't bad.  Sure its about the same , maybe a bit cheaper for a little while.

That's hardly the issue with MP and never was.

FVF were always based off sale plus shipping anyways and the tax just recently became mainstream last year or 1.5 years so would of eventually gone to it anyways or done a tax facilitator fee or some bs.   

I'm just happy they do it all as that would be a royal pita to have to do it yourself.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, river41 said:

As others have said, paypal was charging a fee based on the total transaction, incl taxes, just like ebay is.  Paypal's fee is 3%.  Ebay's fee is 2.35-2.4ish. %.  So it is lower. 

Admittedly, it is difficult to see a $1 savings on a $200 sale.  However, the more sales you have the more your "savings" will add up.

16 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

As others have said, paypal was charging a fee based on the total transaction, incl taxes, just like ebay is.  Paypal's fee is 3%.  Ebay's fee is 2.35-2.4ish. %.  So it is lower. 

Admittedly, it is difficult to see a $1 savings on a $200 sale.  However, the more sales you have the more your "savings" will add up.

I think the issue is not so much with the processing fee but rather the FVF itself.

While we have always been paying a processing fee on tax (whether with PayPal then or Ebay now), the final value fee, what used to be the 10% portion, was not applied to sales tax previously and it is now under Managed Payments. 

But as raven said above I for one like having Ebay deal with the whole thing and not have to deal with multiple setups or processors.

• Like 3