Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

5 minutes ago, ichiroll said:

Yup, Immediate Payment / PayPal Express Checkout helps too.

For sure! 

Quick question. I've always wondered this. Immediate payment can be set for Buy it Now. What if you have that set and also have Best Offers Accepted with auto-accept on at a set price? If a buyer submits an offer at or higher than your auto-accept price, is Immediate Payment required?

Just now, oneknightr said:

Quick question. I've always wondered this. Immediate payment can be set for Buy it Now. What if you have that set and also have Best Offers Accepted with auto-accept on at a set price? If a buyer submits an offer at or higher than your auto-accept price, is Immediate Payment required?

I think Immediate Payment is not required in a Best Offer scenario, but I could be mistaken...  

I know what you mean though, like in Mercari you have to commit your funds before you put in an offer, and their transaction is truly binding once you Buy.

3 hours ago, ichiroll said:

I think Immediate Payment is not required in a Best Offer scenario, but I could be mistaken...  

I know what you mean though, like in Mercari you have to commit your funds before you put in an offer, and their transaction is truly binding once you Buy.

Best offers annoy me a little because you can't require them to pay when you accept their offer.  However, I believe when you counteroffer, they have to pay immediately if they accept, so I always counteroffer slightly above their offer.

31 minutes ago, c4dreams said:

Best offers annoy me a little because you can't require them to pay when you accept their offer.  However, I believe when you counteroffer, they have to pay immediately if they accept, so I always counteroffer slightly above their offer.

There is someone on this site who, if they like the offer, always counteroffers a penny less so the person has to pay when accepting and the buyer won't think you are screwing with them by asking them to pay $100.05 when their offer was $100.00. 

4 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

There is someone on this site who, if they like the offer, always counteroffers a penny less so the person has to pay when accepting and the buyer won't think you are screwing with them by asking them to pay $100.05 when their offer was $100.00. 

That would be me. I feel it looks better than counteroffering slightly higher. I also write a note saying "Thank you for your offer. Please accept my counteroffer of $0.01 less than your offer to ensure immediate payment."

I think the immediate payment on acceptance of a counteroffer has been debunked here in the past, but every counteroffer of a penny less that I've sent that's been accepted was followed by a payment notification. 

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

Exactly. Auctions may be a good way to sell something at market price that you're unsure of, but non-paying bidders ruin the auctions too often.

Most of my sales are auctions.  And many times, it will go higher than what I would have priced it myself.  Maybe 3-5% end up being non-paying bidders.  That may seem high, but I do not have a ton of auctions.  Fourish out of every one hundred sales sounds about right though.  The counter to this is immediately contacting the second highest bidder and seeing if they are interested.  If they are, you effectively end up submitting an immediate payment offer at their highest last bid.  At least 1/3 of my non-paying bidders have been resolved this way.

Also, in my experience, newbies are the most common non-paying bidders.  I have gotten into the habit of emailing them several days before the auction ends to see if they are paying attention or not.  If the top bidder does not respond, upon the auction ending, I will automatically reach out to the second highest bidder, explain the situation, and determine their interest level.  You still have to wait 48 hours for the non-paying bidder to fail to pay but once they do, you cancel their winning bid and issue the "second chance offer" to the second-highest bidder.  Every time I have extended the second chance offer (knowing they're interested) they have paid immediately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exracer327 said:

Every time I have extended the second chance offer (knowing they're interested) they have paid immediately.

I love me some 2nd chance offers...as a buyer.  I would feel bad for not paying attention for something I wanted or regretted how low my last bid was....couple days later I get that wonderful email offering it to me at that low price (now it feels like a real special deal).  The psychology of this stuff is amazing...and unfortunately ownz me.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I love me some 2nd chance offers...as a buyer.  I would feel bad for not paying attention for something I wanted or regretted how low my last bid was....couple days later I get that wonderful email offering it to me at that low price (now it feels like a real special deal).  The psychology of this stuff is amazing...and unfortunately ownz me.

I have actually reached out to sellers when I lost the bid saying, "Hey, if the winner doesn't pay, let me know."  Sadly, no such luck.

Weird issue, if anyone can help.

I sold a hot toys like figure to mexico through global shipping.  the buyer says mexico customs held it because it's a "figure".  Ebay used DHL.  This is message from the buyer ..

"Hello, good day
There are some problems with the product, it turns out that they held it in customs, I didn't know anything about that, they held it for the simple fact of being a figure with a human form, I was trying to release the figure but it will be too late and it is not even sure that they will release it, DHL gives me the option to return the figure to the place of origin without any cost, personally I think that is the best option I would like to return it"

I told him to call ebay and I would to, when I had time since it's through GSP. His response...

"If yesterday it appeared that it would arrive tomorrow, but today the DHL called me to tell me that the customs had detained it, and they will not give it to me until the problem is solved, when investigating outside with other collectors they told me that Mexico is very bad regarding imports, for the simple fact of being figures with human form they retain them and make you do a cumbersome procedure that can last at least 15 days, but only so that they give you a paper that is presented to Mexican customs and they can still reject it, as far as I was told by the parcel services such as DHL, Fedex, Estafeta, UPS and among others always pass by customs and almost always these things happen, where it is easier for them to get through is the postal system of the country of origin, sadly I knew nothing about this absurd condition of retaining a figure, and yet if I could release the cost for the time it will stay in customs, plus the commission for releasing the package among other things could reach the same price of the figure, I have two days before they start charging me for keeping the package in customs, they tell me that the best thing to do is to return it, I'll tell you so that we can talk and be on good terms with you, this saddens me too much, an apology."

Have any of you come across this?

Should I just accept a GSP return?

In DHL Tracking it says "clearance event" No idea what this means.... also says following.

Further Detail:

A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment.

Next Step:

Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required

15 hours ago, thelovemachine said:

Weird issue, if anyone can help.

I sold a hot toys like figure to mexico through global shipping.  the buyer says mexico customs held it because it's a "figure".  Ebay used DHL.  This is message from the buyer ..

"Hello, good day
There are some problems with the product, it turns out that they held it in customs, I didn't know anything about that, they held it for the simple fact of being a figure with a human form, I was trying to release the figure but it will be too late and it is not even sure that they will release it, DHL gives me the option to return the figure to the place of origin without any cost, personally I think that is the best option I would like to return it"

I told him to call ebay and I would to, when I had time since it's through GSP. His response...

"If yesterday it appeared that it would arrive tomorrow, but today the DHL called me to tell me that the customs had detained it, and they will not give it to me until the problem is solved, when investigating outside with other collectors they told me that Mexico is very bad regarding imports, for the simple fact of being figures with human form they retain them and make you do a cumbersome procedure that can last at least 15 days, but only so that they give you a paper that is presented to Mexican customs and they can still reject it, as far as I was told by the parcel services such as DHL, Fedex, Estafeta, UPS and among others always pass by customs and almost always these things happen, where it is easier for them to get through is the postal system of the country of origin, sadly I knew nothing about this absurd condition of retaining a figure, and yet if I could release the cost for the time it will stay in customs, plus the commission for releasing the package among other things could reach the same price of the figure, I have two days before they start charging me for keeping the package in customs, they tell me that the best thing to do is to return it, I'll tell you so that we can talk and be on good terms with you, this saddens me too much, an apology."

Have any of you come across this?

Should I just accept a GSP return?

In DHL Tracking it says "clearance event" No idea what this means.... also says following.

Further Detail:

A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment.

Next Step:

Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required

This is way more complicated then I could handle... Sorry I can't help here, maybe asking Ebay? since this is their GSP program.

As a group of Little Timmy's competitor, what we want is simple: You pay, I ship, You got the toy, I got the money, Everyone is happy. 

That's the reason why I avoid international shipping, too much hassle to deal with.

• Like 1

How often does this happen? Bought item which shows label printed.  Week goes by no movement so I ask when they are shipping.  They say they shipped 3 days ago.  Next day after my email, package shows usps got it lol.  Does it really take 3 days for the usps to update tracking to show they received the package?  I know the the postal system is a mess but at least the package would get scanned in right away.  

8 minutes ago, stackables said:

How often does this happen? Bought item which shows label printed.  Week goes by no movement so I ask when they are shipping.  They say they shipped 3 days ago.  Next day after my email, package shows usps got it lol.  Does it really take 3 days for the usps to update tracking to show they received the package?  I know the the postal system is a mess but at least the package would get scanned in right away.  

They probably printed it and didn't drop it off until you said something. I have had an item not show up in tracking though until it was delivered.

Edited by Brystheguy
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, stackables said:

Several years ago I dropped off a package at my local USPS in the drop box.  The original PO never scanned it but did send it on.  After two days there was still no tracking.  I called my PO and they did not have the package.  The next day it was scanned into the USPS system by the destination PO which delivered it later that same day.

Since then I always drop off packages at the USPS counter and get a receipt for each of my pre-paid postage packages.  As soon as they scan it, tracking is initiated by the PO.  I don't sell/ship a lot so it's manageable.

If the originating PO claims to have received your package the day after your email, then yes, the seller forgot to mail it to you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stackables said:

So how should I have handled a postage due situation?  Just received a package that had $6 due.  I ended up paying for it.  I bought the item off of ebay.  Of course I contacted the seller but did I screw myself by paying?

Do you have proof of payment of that $6? If yes, sounds like a pretty easy case - the seller needs to refund, otherwise go to EBay CS and force a refund. If no, this might be trickier.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

Do you have proof of payment of that $6? If yes, sounds like a pretty easy case - the seller needs to refund, otherwise go to EBay CS and force a refund. If no, this might be trickier.

Yeah, I took a picture and sent it to the seller.  Apparently 4oz is not close to 2lbs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stackables said:

He just refunded me the $6.  Now I have to debate a negative feedback or neutral.

Because they refunded you promptly? At worst I'd leave no feedback. 

I've undervalued postage accidentally moving large quantities. Pretty easy to think you're printing out a label for one item all while weighing something else. Nothing bad came of it as the post office didn't catch it, buyer just let me know that the item had a wrong weight to it.

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, brickvoyeur said:

Because they refunded you promptly? At worst I'd leave no feedback. 

No, because I had to waste time going to the post office to pay for an item a shipper labelled as 4oz instead of 2lbs. Not sure how a seller could make that big of a mistake.  Add to the fact the seller dropped the package off a week after printing the postage makes me lean towards a neutral. I agree, he doesn't deserve a negative though. 

You guys must be very forgiving bunch.  Maybe because I am a buyer not a seller :)

1 minute ago, stackables said:

No, because I had to waste time going to the post office to pay for an item a shipper labelled as 4oz instead of 2lbs. Not sure how a seller could make that big of a mistake.  Add to the fact the seller dropped the package off a week after printing the postage makes me lean towards a neutral. I agree, he doesn't deserve a negative though. 

You guys must be very forgiving bunch.  Maybe because I am a buyer not a seller :)

Going to post office to pick something up sucks.  The time this happened to me they wanted to collect at the door, of course you have to be home for that to happen.

The second point wears me out though, I don't like it when sellers do that.  They could have scheduled a pickup and got this thing in the mail sooner. 

• Like 1