Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

a follow-up to earlier post: I sold a set at CV SIP prices, $280 for a (now commonly available) RRP $200 (i had forgotten to price it back down); with shipping that puts the price at $330 which was paid to me.

Obviously red flags.  Buyer located in Florida about a half dozen positive reviews, a couple in last 6 months (mostly small items as FAIK). 

So I sent a message to the buyer saying i needed confirmation blah blah for big sets like this BEFORE shipping.

No reply

Sent another message

No reply

Sent a message saying if I don't get a reply by (tomorrow), I will cancel the sale.

Basically the radio silence has spooked me about doing business w/ this buyer for such a large item.

Anyone have some suggestions or thought on this?

8 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

a follow-up to earlier post: I sold a set at CV SIP prices, $280 for a (now commonly available) RRP $200 (i had forgotten to price it back down); with shipping that puts the price at $330 which was paid to me.

Obviously red flags.  Buyer located in Florida about a half dozen positive reviews, a couple in last 6 months (mostly small items as FAIK). 

So I sent a message to the buyer saying i needed confirmation blah blah for big sets like this BEFORE shipping.

No reply

Sent another message

No reply

Sent a message saying if I don't get a reply by (tomorrow), I will cancel the sale.

Basically the radio silence has spooked me about doing business w/ this buyer for such a large item.

Anyone have some suggestions or thought on this?

I had this happen the other day with a $500+ sale. After reaching out to the buyer without success, I contacted Ebay customer service, discussed my reservations (low feedback count, normally bought less expensive items, no message back, item was priced way higher than lowest same item listed) and the rep said to send the item anyway since I have a good track record. Mainly, I wanted the transcript of the chat so if I got screwed, I could say, "See? I was predicting this and I talked to someone about it." The owner of the account messaged me later that day confirming my suspicions so I canceled the sale (and lost $16 in Paypal fees in the process). Have you reached out to Ebay about this at all? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BillyBricks said:

I had this happen the other day with a $500+ sale. After reaching out to the buyer without success, I contacted Ebay customer service, discussed my reservations (low feedback count, normally bought less expensive items, no message back, item was priced way higher than lowest same item listed) and the rep said to send the item anyway since I have a good track record. Mainly, I wanted the transcript of the chat so if I got screwed, I could say, "See? I was predicting this and I talked to someone about it." The owner of the account messaged me later that day confirming my suspicions so I canceled the sale (and lost $16 in Paypal fees in the process). Have you reached out to Ebay about this at all? 

Thanks for response.  I have not contacted Ebay. I simply dont want to deal w/ a buyer that does not communicate.  I plan to cancel the sale (I am not a large volume seller so can't really absorb the loss).

Here's how I see it if I cancel:  the buyer was planning to scam me and got foiled or I saved him/her over $100 on a $200 set (just lost a week of time). I'll risk the negative feedback from a fruitcake

7 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

any uk sellers on the managed payments yet? i keep getting hassled by ebay to move over. from what i'm readying its horrific. sellers just getting constant chargebacks & having to refund & lose there items?

I've been on MP since July and have had no problems at all. In fact, not a single chargeback in over 100 sales. Oh.... eBay gave me a £1 FVF for the first month and I had a £2 FVF that expired on Monday. You have no choice so may as well sign up and get it over with 😉

I received an order and then almost immediately a PayPal claim was filed by the buyer claiming they did not authorize the transaction:

"Your buyer filed a claim. The buyer stated that they did not make this purchase. Please help us to resolve this issue by logging into your Resolution Center and providing us with any information that can assist us with our investigation.

Your participation is essential to the claims process. If we don’t receive a response from you before October 17, 2020, this case will be closed and decided in your buyer’s favor.

####### ###### has requested a refund of $551.77 USD. If you agree to this request, the case will be closed once the refund has been processed. "

I haven't had any of the scammer problems many of you have had so I'm unfamiliar with the whole process.... I assume PayPal caught this I can simply refund and that is the end of it or am I missing something? Thanks.

Edited by KvHulk

Have a return request from buyer on eBay sale. He's saying he found a better price and that it took longer than expected to arrive, which is basically buyer's remorse. If I deny his request can he open a SNAD case? 

I have returns set to "No Returns accepted" and this was my first sale through eBay's managed payment system so I'm guessing they can't raise a case through Paypal. 

Info from the buyer

Reason

Found a better price

Comments

Delayed delivery with no explanation. Walmart better price and free one day shipping

Edited by Mark Twain

18 hours ago, KvHulk said:

I received an order and then almost immediately a PayPal claim was filed by the buyer claiming they did not authorize the transaction:

"Your buyer filed a claim. The buyer stated that they did not make this purchase. Please help us to resolve this issue by logging into your Resolution Center and providing us with any information that can assist us with our investigation.

Your participation is essential to the claims process. If we don’t receive a response from you before October 17, 2020, this case will be closed and decided in your buyer’s favor.

####### ###### has requested a refund of $551.77 USD. If you agree to this request, the case will be closed once the refund has been processed. "

I haven't had any of the scammer problems many of you have had so I'm unfamiliar with the whole process.... I assume PayPal caught this I can simply refund and that is the end of it or am I missing something? Thanks.

Correct.  Just refund the buyer

8 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

Have a return request from buyer on eBay sale. He's saying he found a better price and that it took longer than expected to arrive. If I deny his request can he open a SNAD case? 

Info from the buyer

Reason

Found a better price

Comments

Delayed delivery with no explanation. Walmart better price and free one day shipping

If it is still within your return window, the best bet is just to accept return and move on. 

To answer your question directly, technically buyer should not do that but there is a way to open one if buyer is motivated enough to find out

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

If it is still within your return window, the best bet is just to accept return and move on. 

To answer your question directly, technically buyer should not do that but there is a way to open one if buyer is motivated enough to find out

I don't accept returns and he's selected "found a better price" for the reason for his return request. This looks like a pretty clear case of buyer's remorse. 

34 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I don't accept returns and he's selected "found a better price" for the reason for his return request. This looks like a pretty clear case of buyer's remorse. 

I am not in "don't accept return" crowd so I am not 100% sure what happens next.  I am actually surprised buyer was able to open a return request with this reason when you did not accept return.

Technically this request / case is pretty clear cut and eBay should back you up.   Can buyer go to SNAD route afterwards? There are ways to do it, at least there used to.  Would eBay still back you up then? I do not know

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

If you can deduct the shipping cost from his refund I would accept the return.  Not sure if that's possible if your policy is no returns.  I'm also not sure if they pay return shipping if you offer free shipping.

51 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

I would just eat this. The buyer may just file a claim and you may still refund him after all the hassle and a possible negative feedback.  Just accept the return and let him using his label for return.

3 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I never quite understood the option of "no returns"...doesn't ebay guarantee all purchases anyway?

I wonder if one can add a note saying: "All returns without evidence of damage or mishandling will be due cost of return shipping" basically the IWOOT/ZAVVI disclaimer.

I always took "no returns" to be for reasons like "found a better price", which would then force them to file a SNAD if they wanted to bad enough.

16 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I never quite understood the option of "no returns"...doesn't ebay guarantee all purchases anyway?

I wonder if one can add a note saying: "All returns without evidence of damage or mishandling will be due cost of return shipping" basically the IWOOT/ZAVVI disclaimer.

Same. I thought people saying "no returns" really meant "Please don't read ebay's terms of service because I have to accept your return no matter what." 

I'd be careful about adding a note regarding damage because I'd rather get my item back in sellable shape than having the buyer take a baseball bat to it and then show me how damaged it was.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'm going to take a cautious route and kindly ask the buyer for a description of the item with a few pictures of the box before responding to their return request.

My thinking is two fold:  (1) If the item shows damage I can accept the return and file a claim with USPS since I insured it with Priority Mail. (2) If the item shows no damage and he clearly states in response that it is defect free it will be included in the messages if I decide to not accept the return and he ends up filing a SNAD claim. 

As for bad feedback, he purchased on 9/27 and I shipped on 9/28 while eBay's late delivery protections were still in place (They've paused them starting 10/1) so any negative feedback he leaves for late shipment should be removable. I am going to call eBay and confirm before making and decisions. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-pausing-late-delivery-protections-as-carrier-performance/ba-p/31242588

Thanks all. I'm going to take a cautious route and kindly ask the buyer for a description of the item with a few pictures of the box before responding to their return request.
My thinking is two fold:  (1) If the item shows damage I can accept the return and file a claim with USPS since I insured it with Priority Mail. (2) If the item shows no damage and he clearly states in response that it is defect free it will be included in the messages if I decide to not accept the return and he ends up filing a SNAD claim. 
As for bad feedback, he purchased on 9/27 and I shipped on 9/28 while eBay's late delivery protections were still in place (They've paused them starting 10/1) so any negative feedback he leaves for late shipment should be removable. I am going to call eBay and confirm before making and decisions. 
https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/We-re-pausing-late-delivery-protections-as-carrier-performance/ba-p/31242588

Wouldn’t you already be covered because the buyer hasn’t made any damage claims?

Also, doesn’t eBay’s policy say that the item has to returned in the same condition for the buyer to be eligible for their refund?

My one significant experience with a refund request the buyer specifically claimed damage. A simple call to eBay referring them to pics in the auction and our conversations on eBay messaging gave me the win.

3 hours ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Correct.  Just refund the buyer

Thanks.... It seemed pretty straight forward.

I went ahead, and per PayPal's email, went to the resolution center and refunded the buyer. I then received an email from PayPal with all the details of the case and the full amount was removed from my PayPal balance.

However, even though the case has been resolved, the buyer refunded and funds removed from my account it still shows as a Payment Received in my activity log and when I goto the transaction itself it still shows as posted to my account and I have the ability to refund the buyer still.

The only record of the refund is the emails I've received and the case in the resolution center.

eBay also still shows the item as paid and that I should ship the item.

I called PayPal and they say they see the refund on their end and the buyer has received the funds. They provided me with the chargeback ID#.

I then called eBay and explained the situation and provided the PayPal chargeback ID#. eBay also says they see the refund and I do not need to ship anything.

I was told to "wait 24 hours" for their servers to catch up with the transaction and if I don't see the refund posted tomorrow to call again to have it resolved.

And it seemed so simple...

Wouldn’t you already be covered because the buyer hasn’t made any damage claims?

Also, doesn’t eBay’s policy say that the item has to returned in the same condition for the buyer to be eligible for their refund?

My one significant experience with a refund request the buyer specifically claimed damage. A simple call to eBay referring them to pics in the auction and our conversations on eBay messaging gave me the win.

They can escalate it if you deny their request and open a SNAD and say that it was damaged. This way I at least know the condition and there’s a record of it in the messages for their return request.

Kindness was the way to go!
e1e73d697a5164faf0c5c8c4ffeb74ee.jpg
  • Like 6

Buyer claims didn't make purchase.  EBay claim gets made.  PayPal claim gets made.  I pay back buyer.  PayPal adds $20 chargeback fee.  What is the rationale for a chargeback fee?  Am I able to get this back?  It shouldn't be my problem this guy fell victim to fraud, now I owe $20 on top the time already spent resolving this?  Seems like a bunch of nonsense to me.

46 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

Buyer claims didn't make purchase.  EBay claim gets made.  PayPal claim gets made.  I pay back buyer.  PayPal adds $20 chargeback fee.  What is the rationale for a chargeback fee?  Am I able to get this back?  It shouldn't be my problem this guy fell victim to fraud, now I owe $20 on top the time already spent resolving this?  Seems like a bunch of nonsense to me.

I have had this happen twice this year but it went through PayPal for the fraud check and both times I provided the tracking info to pay pal and they settled in my favor under seller protection  (Heck, 1 time I had positive feedback from the buyer????) It sounds like paypal did not find in your favor - did you have and provide tracking info?  

New spin on 'ol scam/fraud

This is follow-up from a page or two up this thread.  Basically ebay sale for an item $200 (which was priced high (during SIP)) so buyer paid an additional $100+ when include shipping...compared to buying it on Amazon.  

I'm as greedy as the next guy, but too many red flags; so I message the buyer to start communication chain.  Radio silence after 3 messages.

It was hard refunding a profit of almost $100 off a $200 set...but based on what i've been reading here...fraud is up and it's a huge hassle...so after about 9 days of trying to communicate...I refund the amount based on "Buyer Address problem" (since he/she never confirmed the address through a message to me). 

So today, about 2 days after refunding, I get the Paypal email saying the buyer opened a case stating that he/she never authorized the purchase...Hmmm...so 11 days after the initial purchase....Hmmmm???? Anyway Paypal said they know the transaction was cancelled and the buyer received refund so not an issue.

So now the scammer/fraudster is waiting almost 10 days after the purchase to make the claim.

In this case, my rule of requiring communication saved me. Not saying it will always work..but it did this time. 

I'll add the buyer name to the scam thread

[ok, couldn't find the recent scam thread..here it is for folks that search for known scammers/fraudsters]

Ebay Buyer: alsa4608_htbsznirpz 

100% positive feedback (couple in last two months) 92 blue star rating

Buyer's name: sajah al hassen

Buyer's email: [email protected]

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
added scammers details

1 hour ago, legoray01 said:

I have had this happen twice this year but it went through PayPal for the fraud check and both times I provided the tracking info to pay pal and they settled in my favor under seller protection  (Heck, 1 time I had positive feedback from the buyer????) It sounds like paypal did not find in your favor - did you have and provide tracking info?  

I paid for shipping had tracking but hadn't yet shipped before the buyer notified me of fraud.  So I still have the item.  I'll just have to contact PayPal.  It sounds like an easy $20 for them but there's no reason for it.