Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

8 minutes ago, stackables said:

My question is, if you use paypal for payments do you get hit with both paypal and ebay fees?

No, just ebay fees. Buyers can still pay with paypal, but as I understand it, we don't see how they pay at all anymore. You just see dollars in your eBay payments section. Hoping total fees stay about the same or decrease, but probably not how that's going to go.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

No, just ebay fees. Buyers can still pay with paypal, but as I understand it, we don't see how they pay at all anymore. You just see dollars in your eBay payments section. Hoping total fees stay about the same or decrease, but probably not how that's going to go.

I've had a couple sales the total fee seems to be about 12.5% -12.6%

I think it's a little annoying that they hold the money, but I can't pay for labels with that money prior to them depositing it to my account.  I really don't care who processes the payment, but I wish they still allowed the money to be put into a Paypal account.

This is from Offerup but thought I’d post it here in lieu of starting a new thread.

I ordered some used Construction sets for the kids and the seller sent me an empty box or was just too incompetent to seal the bottom of the box. The top is still sealed with electrical tape around the label but the bottom has butterfly folds with no tape which easily unfold. USPS sent along this sticker. Advice?

4a08768b7a667208ae66f96128811aff.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mark Twain said:

This is from Offerup but thought I’d post it here in lieu of starting a new thread.

I ordered some used Construction sets for the kids and the seller sent me an empty box or was just too incompetent to seal the bottom of the box. The top is still sealed with electrical tape around the label but the bottom has butterfly folds with no tape which easily unfold. USPS sent along this sticker. Advice?

4a08768b7a667208ae66f96128811aff.jpg

never purchased anything shipped from offerup before but since you had this usps sticker as proof, I would think getting your money back shouldn't be a problem

• Like 1

so I canceled a transaction because it was a $400+ set by a drop shipper who requested from Delaware address to be shipped to Portland instead.

I was expecting some sort of confirmation so got suspicious...when I checked my Paypal acct it showed a lot more than I expected (redflag) and when I looked into it more, apparently paypal deposited the original payment into my Paypal funds, but "tried" to take the refund from my bank acct.  That wouldn't be terrible normally, but I didn't have sufficient funds in that acct and was charged a NSF fee of $28.

Now I have to fix this mess w/ Paypal, Ebay, and probably explain the delay to the buyer.

argh!  

39 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so I canceled a transaction because it was a $400+ set by a drop shipper who requested from Delaware address to be shipped to Portland instead.

I was expecting some sort of confirmation so got suspicious...when I checked my Paypal acct it showed a lot more than I expected (redflag) and when I looked into it more, apparently paypal deposited the original payment into my Paypal funds, but "tried" to take the refund from my bank acct.  That wouldn't be terrible normally, but I didn't have sufficient funds in that acct and was charged a NSF fee of $28.

Now I have to fix this mess w/ Paypal, Ebay, and probably explain the delay to the buyer.

argh!  

Paypal still keep their fees on cancelled orders / refunds.  Assuming you start with $0 Paypal balance.  For $400 order, your balance only increase by about $388 (after Paypal fees).  So when you refund the $400, you do not have sufficient amount in your Paypal account and Paypal will try to get that $12 from your bank account

3 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Paypal still keep their fees on cancelled orders / refunds.  Assuming you start with $0 Paypal balance.  For $400 order, your balance only increase by about $388 (after Paypal fees).  So when you refund the $400, you do not have sufficient amount in your Paypal account and Paypal will try to get that $12 from your bank account

well they tried to get the full refund amount from the bank account.

anyway to make it a default to pull as much as possible from the Paypal acct FIRST?  this type of thing screwed me in prior transactions as well.

So this is a new one for me: Bought a lot with a few sealed and a few built small sets a few weeks back on EBay. Discovered when it arrived that the largest built set was missing about 10 pieces, even though it was listed as Complete. Seller was not very responsive, but said he was going to "check with his son" on the missing pieces. After two weeks radio silence and several messages from my end he finally responded saying that I can just send it back because he has someone lined up who will pay more than I did.

That ain't going to happen of course, but how do I challenge this? Do I go to EBay? I think the best they can do is force a return and refund, but I just want enough of a refund so I can order the missing pieces ($5) and I doubt EBay can force that on a seller. Or do I just leave a negative and let it be? Any advice?

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

So this is a new one for me: Bought a lot with a few sealed and a few built small sets a few weeks back on EBay. Discovered when it arrived that the largest built set was missing about 10 pieces, even though it was listed as Complete. Seller was not very responsive, but said he was going to "check with his son" on the missing pieces. After two weeks radio silence and several messages from my end he finally responded saying that I can just send it back because he has someone lined up who will pay more than I did.

That ain't going to happen of course, but how do I challenge this? Do I go to EBay? I think the best they can do is force a return and refund, but I just want enough of a refund so I can order the missing pieces ($5) and I doubt EBay can force that on a seller. Or do I just leave a negative and let it be? Any advice?

I pretty much think any used set will be incomplete (despite what the ad says)...but when I find evidence of it I try the 'ol 10%-20% discount thing (often times that amount is just a bit over cost of shipping); which generally works (most sellers rather do the easy thing which is to offer the partial discount)...if they don't bite I just forget about it. In your case, without knowing the set cost, $5 seems pretty minor (any Bper worth his salt should have made well more than that in potential profit).  Leaving Negative feedback for $5 makes an enemy for little reason.  They can, hypothetically, in turn mess w/ your listings in the future.

51 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I pretty much think any used set will be incomplete (despite what the ad says)...but when I find evidence of it I try the 'ol 10%-20% discount thing (often times that amount is just a bit over cost of shipping); which generally works (most sellers rather do the easy thing which is to offer the partial discount)...if they don't bite I just forget about it. In your case, without knowing the set cost, $5 seems pretty minor (any Bper worth his salt should have made well more than that in potential profit).  Leaving Negative feedback for $5 makes an enemy for little reason.  They can, hypothetically, in turn mess w/ your listings in the future.

Indeed. I wanted a complete King's Castle Siege and bought two used sets (advertised as complete). I also bought a big lot that appeared to include another used set. So theoretically I had two complete used sets and one mostly complete used set. Just washed the pieces and built it recently. Only had enough pieces for one build. :smile:

If the seller has a ton of sets listed and are in the “business” I’ll call them on the “complete” listing. I’ve only had this happen once and they drop shipped me the missing parts from Bricklink. Usually the seller is just getting rid of their kid’s collection and I let it slide. I don’t leave feedback on those transactions. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phil B said:

Thanks @fuzzy_bricks, @$20 on joe vs dan and @minicoopers11. What threw me off was that the seller has almost 1000 in feedback, but acts like he's new to the platform. I'm just going to let it slide.

He could be new to selling or just the first time he had an issue.  I've been there, but thankfully I had these these seasoned eBay veterans to help me out.

If the seller has a ton of sets listed and are in the “business” I’ll call them on the “complete” listing. I’ve only had this happen once and they drop shipped me the missing parts from Bricklink. Usually the seller is just getting rid of their kid’s collection and I let it slide. I don’t leave feedback on those transactions. 

I’ve done that before - drop shipped missing parts. Most recently is was a TFA Millennium Falcon that I had gotten off of eBay, without the box, but sealed packages.

I turned around and sold it, and while the buyer was putting it together, they were missing parts. Not sure if a bag ripped open at some point or if it was a LEGO issue. But they sent me the list of parts, I found a BL seller willing to ship, and put in the order. All in all it was probably 4 days from being told about the missing parts until parts were in hand. Everyone was happy.

Quick question to all... someone bought a $200 set and then opened a paypal case for unauthorized payment.

I reached out to buyer on ebay with no response. 

Do I cancel on ebay and issue refund citing buyer wants to cancel 

or do I just refund on paypal. 

I don't want to have to double refund on both sides.  What is the appropiate way to deal with this?  

42 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

Quick question to all... someone bought a $200 set and then opened a paypal case for unauthorized payment.

I reached out to buyer on ebay with no response. 

Do I cancel on ebay and issue refund citing buyer wants to cancel 

or do I just refund on paypal. 

I don't want to have to double refund on both sides.  What is the appropiate way to deal with this?  

Assuming that you didn't ship it yet, I would suggest canceling on ebay, which will also cancel/refund the payment on paypal.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stackables said:

You are not getting the paypal fee back. 

The rollout of "no paypal fee refunds" has been a bit weird. I recently partially refunded a Paypal payment for a Bricklink order - no fee refunded. I then recently partially refunded a Paypal payment (just before managed payments kicked in for me) for an eBay order - fee refunded. So, thelovemachine may have some luck.

• Like 2