Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Just FYI, I've had two buyers within last week on ebay that bought the treehouse say that an "unauthorized bid" was made on their account, and they're asking for refunds. Not sure what happens to people in past in these situations. I shipped to confirmed address and had tracking numbers. I can provide user IDs if interested.

Edited by scurt1s

Just FYI, I've had two buyers within last week on ebay that bought the treehouse say that an "unauthorized bid" was made on their account, and they're asking for refunds. Not sure what happens to people in past in these situations. I shipped to confirmed address and had tracking numbers. Anyone had any experience in these situations?

Yup I had that happen to a few of my higher priced sets. eBay/PayPal has sided with me every time since I have proof of delivery due to seller protection. There has been a lot of scammers these days. I don’t know if the buyers are lying or if their accounts really have been hacked. If you scroll back a few pages, you will see discussions about this issue. Some tips are wait for a day before shipping higher prices sets (in case eBay catches it), and some suggested reaching out to buyers to confirm legitimacy.

I've made 18 sales in the past week (non LEGO) and I've gotten 7 of those "unauthorized transaction" claims filed by the buyers. In all cases PayPal put the funds on hold and told me to wait a day before shipping for them to contact the buyer and verify the transaction. In all cases the buyer told PayPal everything was fine and then within minutes of the item being dropped off for shipping they would file a claim. Thankfully Paypal sided with me every time so far.

It's getting to the point where I'm not comfortable selling to anyone that doesn't have at least 100 feedback.

7 hours ago, Serejai said:

I've made 18 sales in the past week (non LEGO) and I've gotten 7 of those "unauthorized transaction" claims filed by the buyers. In all cases PayPal put the funds on hold and told me to wait a day before shipping for them to contact the buyer and verify the transaction. In all cases the buyer told PayPal everything was fine and then within minutes of the item being dropped off for shipping they would file a claim. Thankfully Paypal sided with me every time so far.

It's getting to the point where I'm not comfortable selling to anyone that doesn't have at least 100 feedback.

If they verified the transaction, what was the claim?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Serejai said:

100% feedback isn't the worry

becareful.  sub 10 feedback fraudsters going around.  had one send insults and personal attacks demanding justice for a package that was clearly destroyed by the post, and another now claiming box open and missing many bags demanding a refund.  (both items over 350$) unluckily for both of these people I have images of pre packaged status.  ALWAYS INSURE ANYTHING OVER 100$ my friends.

Edited by vexxet
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 10:41 AM, Brystheguy said:

If they verified the transaction, what was the claim?

They file claims with PayPal first, immediately after I ship the item, stating it was unauthorized. PayPal sides in my favor and then the buyers immediately open a claim with eBay, who delete the transaction from my history and give me some copy paste email about how the buyers account was compromised and telling me not to ship the item (which is dumb because they wait until after I ship). So basically I keep the money but the buyer gets to keep the item + a refund that ebay or paypal cover themselves.

18 hours ago, CLMF said:

Am I supposed to entertain these buyers or just block immediately?

Blocking is the safest approach here, but I suspect if this guy is new he just thinks eBay is a scammy garage sale.  You could possibly change his mind and create another potential customer for all of us or you could have a nightmare buyer on your hands.  Do you feel lucky?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

Blocking is the safest approach here, but I suspect if this guy is new he just thinks eBay is a scammy garage sale.  You could possibly change his mind and create another potential customer for all of us or you could have a nightmare buyer on your hands.  Do you feel lucky?

I would just block. The message alone seems too short and curt to be an honest question to me. Even if it turns out to be honest, it's just a sign for possible future hassle if the buyer does end up buying the item.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zaphoid said:

For those that are in the US selling EU sets, do you use the US UPC barcode values when you list a set, or do you use the EU EAN number thats actually on the barcode?

I use EAN barcode since eBay takes that too.  I have pictures etc of actual item on my lisitng, why put incorrect information on UPC field????

• Like 1

Is it just me or in the last few months has there been a surge of eBay users who seem to think that my Free shipping Buy it now listings mean I have a magical shipping label printer that just makes shipping labels appear out of nowhere.  I swear if I get another message from a user about how my item is only worth x amount because x y and z.......

So... I had a large item shipped and Fedex showed delivered.  Buyer notes he never got it and started an ebay case.  Ebay closed it as Fedex tracking shows it was delivered.

I get an email from paypal now... What would likely happen from here on?

We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not receive their merchandise.

Our records show tracking information is available for this transaction. We will review this as soon as possible.

Is it just me or in the last few months has there been a surge of eBay users who seem to think that my Free shipping Buy it now listings mean I have a magical shipping label printer that just makes shipping labels appear out of nowhere.  I swear if I get another message from a user about how my item is only worth x amount because x y and z.......

You mean there isn’t a magic label? I have been trained by amazon, target, SAH, and Walmart for years that shipping should be free as long as the minimum is met!

I think they’re really complimenting you by saying they think you’re on the same level as the giants.
  • Haha 1

So... I had a large item shipped and Fedex showed delivered.  Buyer notes he never got it and started an ebay case.  Ebay closed it as Fedex tracking shows it was delivered.
I get an email from paypal now... What would likely happen from here on?

We are writing to let you know one of your buyers opened a case for this transaction. The buyer stated that they did not receive their merchandise.

Our records show tracking information is available for this transaction. We will review this as soon as possible.

PayPal will take weeks to review and at the end they will either side with you, or they will say they “have received notice from the buyer’s institution that the case has been decided in the buyer's favor. However, because you’re a valued customer, we’re not debiting your PayPal account for the disputed amount.” Either way you should be covered since you have proof of delivery.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, locidm said:

You mean there isn’t a magic label? I have been trained by amazon, target, SAH, and Walmart for years that shipping should be free as long as the minimum is met!

I think they’re really complimenting you by saying they think you’re on the same level as the giants.

Bravo Sir.....masterful use of sarcasm and a point well made......

Genuinely made me laugh out loud there......

• Like 1