Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Just now, exracer327 said:

What is driving me away from auctions are the newbies who place huge bids early on, thus killing any additional bids, and then they never pay.  Completely demolishes the whole point to auctions on ebay - both from a buyer and seller stand point.  On at least two instances, the second place bidder did accept the second chance offer.

Newbies are really annoying (despite what anyone on this site says 😏). Half the time I wonder if they have a new account because they were kicked off of ebay for another reason. I usually include a Buy it Now offer, but with a few of the collectible figures, I had no idea what they would go for so I wanted to let the market do its thing. I was able to second chance two of the three unpaid items, but it's all just a pain in the rear. It's Buy it Now or bust from here on out!

17 hours ago, exracer327 said:

What is driving me away from auctions are the newbies who place huge bids early on, thus killing any additional bids, and then they never pay.  Completely demolishes the whole point to auctions on ebay - both from a buyer and seller stand point.  On at least two instances, the second place bidder did accept the second chance offer.

^^^This^^^ I  have recently seen so many auctions that I am interested in completely demolished by 0 feedback buyers just skyrocketing the prices right out of the gate or driving up the prices beyond reason. I've seen a number of items relisted days later as these skyhigh prices just fall through. Part of me wonders if these buyers are either that stupid, maliciously driving up pricing just to screw over other buyers, or friends of the seller trying to jack things up. Either way, it's made buying on eBay, esp for higher value items, far less welcome than it used to be.

1 hour ago, Mr_Coat said:

^^^This^^^ I  have recently seen so many auctions that I am interested in completely demolished by 0 feedback buyers just skyrocketing the prices right out of the gate or driving up the prices beyond reason. I've seen a number of items relisted days later as these skyhigh prices just fall through. Part of me wonders if these buyers are either that stupid, maliciously driving up pricing just to screw over other buyers, or friends of the seller trying to jack things up. Either way, it's made buying on eBay, esp for higher value items, far less welcome than it used to be.

There is an option for the seller to cancel a bid if it is believed to be fraudulent (like a brand new account with 0 feedbacks). For lower value items, I'm all for letting newbies make a bid...after all, everyone has to start somewhere. But when it comes to high ticket items, I don't like having them in the mix.

2 hours ago, Lego Lass said:

There is an option for the seller to cancel a bid if it is believed to be fraudulent (like a brand new account with 0 feedbacks). For lower value items, I'm all for letting newbies make a bid...after all, everyone has to start somewhere. But when it comes to high ticket items, I don't like having them in the mix.

I agree, I don't like having zero feedback buyers for high ticket items either.  They make me nervous.

I started reaching out to one such zero feedback bidder two days before an auction ended ($600+ item).  I kicked myself for not cancelling his bid before the auction ended because he never responded to me - ever.  Because I began reaching out early and suspected the guy was a deadbeat, I was able to immediately reach out to the next highest bidder and told him the situation and he said he was still interested.  However, because the auction had ended with the zero feedback bidder as the winner, I had to wait 48 hrs after the auction ended before I could cancel his bid and offer it to second highest bidder. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I agree, I don't like having zero feedback buyers for high ticket items either.  They make me nervous.

I started reaching out to one such zero feedback bidder two days before an auction ended ($600+ item).  I kicked myself for not cancelling his bid before the auction ended because he never responded to me - ever.  Because I began reaching out early and suspected the guy was a deadbeat, I was able to immediately reach out to the next highest bidder and told him the situation and he said he was still interested.  However, because the auction had ended with the zero feedback bidder as the winner, I had to wait 48 hrs after the auction ended before I could cancel his bid and offer it to second highest bidder. 

if the auction went with 2 high bidders going back and forth...do you go down to the original lower bid price between the two or the 2nd highest bid?

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

if the auction went with 2 high bidders going back and forth...do you go down to the original lower bid price between the two or the 2nd highest bid?

I think if you go through the eBay Second Chance Offer site, they automatically contact the bidder and offer the item at their last bid price. I guess you could theoretically go around the ebay algorithm and contact a different buyer, but I've never tried that. Don't want to stir the eBay pot if I can avoid it! 😬

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

1 hour ago, Lego Lass said:

I think if you go through the eBay Second Chance Offer site, they automatically contact the bidder and offer the item at their last bid price. I guess you could theoretically go around the ebay algorithm and contact a different buyer, but I've never tried that. Don't want to stir the eBay pot if I can avoid it! 😬

You have to cancel the highest bid and then, as Lego Lass said, send a "second chance offer" to the next highest bidder.  The amount of the offer is their next highest winning bid.

When you send a second chance offer ebay actually creates a "buy it now" page for the individual you sent the offer to.  But by cancelling the winning bid, ebay automatically relists the item.  So you have to watch out you don't accidentally accept some weird offer sent to you from the relisted sale.  As soon as the buy it now second chance offer is accepted, it deletes the new listing and it is no different than if the original bidder had won the auction.

• Like 1

I recently sold an item to someone with around 10 feedback via counter offer, which they accepted. I figured they would not be a fruitcake given that they are a seller as well. 

First thing the guy tells me is that he will go to the bank to deposit a cheque, then he will send payment. 

He starts asking a lot of questions, such as why I listed another of the same item. I say because I have another of the same item.

Then he starts being extremely picky about the condition of the item, and I follow his requests to take pictures and show him. It's a sealed box, but he notices the tiniest tiniest nick on the wrapper and starts complaining. Now he's stopped replying, and it's been two days, no payment.

I'm super suspicious right now, but what can I do about it? It's a high value item too. Any help would be appreciated.

I recently sold an item to someone with around 10 feedback via counter offer, which they accepted. I figured they would not be a fruitcake given that they are a seller as well. 
First thing the guy tells me is that he will go to the bank to deposit a cheque, then he will send payment. 
He starts asking a lot of questions, such as why I listed another of the same item. I say because I have another of the same item.
Then he starts being extremely picky about the condition of the item, and I follow his requests to take pictures and show him. It's a sealed box, but he notices the tiniest tiniest nick on the wrapper and starts complaining. Now he's stopped replying, and it's been two days, no payment.

I'm super suspicious right now, but what can I do about it? It's a high value item too. Any help would be appreciated.

File a non paying buyer alert after 2-3 days.

Be aware, eBay’s Covid 19 policies sunseted June 30th but we will likely see them renewed in one form or another. Under the previous policy, they allowed a seller to cancel for any reason and any negative feedback is removable.

https://export.ebay.com/en/seller-updates/covid19/covid19/
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CLMF said:

It isn't worth the stress - Send a msg, asking if they are still interested in the item, or if they would prefer to cancel the transaction (asking them to confirm what they would like to do).

Headaches tend to follow headaches - Best to just move on (and then sell it for more later on).

• Like 2

Sold a Lambo on Wednesday, and the buyer after paying for it asked if I could hold on to it so that it arrived after Monday.  I figured he had to make sure the missus wasn't home or something, so I said I would hold off a day or two and mailed on Saturday after messaging him to let him know it was going out.  Given the amount involved, I'm babysitting it through Fedex a little bit. It was scheduled to arrive today (7/3), but on the website says "Delivery Exception".  Turns out that he has requested a delayed delivery until 7/7.  I'm scratching my head as to why, but want to check with you guys to see if I'm in the middle of being scammed and if so, what to do.

Sold a Lambo on Wednesday, and the buyer after paying for it asked if I could hold on to it so that it arrived after Monday.  I figured he had to make sure the missus wasn't home or something, so I said I would hold off a day or two and mailed on Saturday after messaging him to let him know it was going out.  Given the amount involved, I'm babysitting it through Fedex a little bit. It was scheduled to arrive today (7/3), but on the website says "Delivery Exception".  Turns out that he has requested a delayed delivery until 7/7.  I'm scratching my head as to why, but want to check with you guys to see if I'm in the middle of being scammed and if so, what to do.
He may have went out of town or something and postponed his delivery... I do it all the time. Don't want packages sitting on my doorstep for days on end.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a used LEGO FORMA complete with all skins and official packaging on eBay for $250.00 Just received this message

Hello
I need to buy this item

Can you send to me?

Bangkok 10250 Thailand.

Can you discount for me?

Waiting for reply

I am not in eBay's GPS anymore. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, Saruman said:

I have a used LEGO FORMA complete with all skins and official packaging on eBay for $250.00 Just received this message

Hello
I need to buy this item

Can you send to me?

Bangkok 10250 Thailand.

Can you discount for me?

Waiting for reply

I am not in eBay's GPS anymore. What do you think?

Ignore. If you flex on shipping policy and discount, they will probably later demand additional discount due to shipping damage.

1 minute ago, minicoopers11 said:

Ignore. If you flex on shipping policy and discount, they will probably later demand additional discount due to shipping damage.

That's what I was thinking. Ignore, or respond saying no. By saying no, at least they are not kept in the dark and wondering if they will ever hear from me.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:19 AM, CLMF said:

bigger headache if it's an international buyer and customs decides to open the item

I just got this message from a buyer with 8 feedback.  The buyer opened a case without contacting me first so this is the message from the open request.

"I’m not sure what happened but I got an email on Friday saying package was delivered. I got home from work later that day and nothing was at my place. I thought maybe their was confusion because of the holiday but the delivery guy has already made his way bye my place today with no package"

This was a high priced item $400.  Fedex tracking shows delivered... since this almost never happens to me.. i forgot what my next step should be.

Edited by thelovemachine

12 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

I just got this message from a buyer with 8 feedback.  The buyer opened a case without contacting me first so this is the message from the open request.

"I’m not sure what happened but I got an email on Friday saying package was delivered. I got home from work later that day and nothing was at my place. I thought maybe their was confusion because of the holiday but the delivery guy has already made his way bye my place today with no package"

This was a high priced item $400.  Fedex tracking shows delivered... since this almost never happens to me.. i forgot what my next step should be.

I had a similar issue about a month ago.  I was in the clear since shipping said delivered.  I waited a few days and contacted eBay to close the issue and they did.  They just look to see it's been delivered and essentially say have a nice day.

34 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

how many days do i wait?  did you call ebay?  does ebay pay them also?  I imagine some of these are stolen... this was a huge box.  18x15x15

Mine was a huge box too (Destiny Bounty) it would be obvious to see it.  The woman ended up not getting paid money but I still ended up being paid.  The online FAQs say these cases should close automatically but if they don't in 3 to 5 days I'd message eBay.  I did it all electronically didn't have to call anyone.

41 minutes ago, thelovemachine said:

how many days do i wait?  did you call ebay?  does ebay pay them also?  I imagine some of these are stolen... this was a huge box.  18x15x15

Upload the tracking # to the case file then message the buyer with some polite version of the following adapted to your situation and carrier. Once you send the message, call ebay customer service tomorrow and have them review the case. They will likely close it in your favor.

Dear Buyer,

Thank you for your message. According to ENTER TRACKING # your item was delivered ENTER DATE AND TIME.

If this is not the case, I will do what I can to help locate your package. Please check with neighbors and household members first. Also, check with your mail carrier by contacting your local post office or Fedex center and providing them with the tracking number and informing them that it was not received.

If that does not help, I will be happy to assist you in filing a mail theft report with the USPS/ Fedex. Please send me your daytime contact phone number. Though I can get it from eBay, it is faster if you send it to me so that I can file the USPS Postal Inspectors report if your postmaster or mail carrier cannot document the whereabouts of your package. Please be aware that a Postal Inspector will contact you for more information.

Please keep me updated and let me know if assistance with a mail theft report is needed.

Sincerely,

Edited by Mark Twain
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Mark Twain said:

Thx for all the help.  I called ebay today and CSR said will close in my favor.  Just got email confirmation and shown up on ebay that's resolved.  So nice when it works out.  Also I went to fedex.com to file a claim in case it helps prevent packages stolen in that area... great falls montana...

Edited by thelovemachine

Not sure how to delete this post.  I looked up answer for my own question!.  when item is damaged during shipping, seller refunds 100% including shipping!

It was kind of annoying as I sold something in same state but it traveled to ten locations and likely got tossed around by USPS first class.

Edited by thelovemachine