Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

24 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

Yes. Hackers often log in to rarely used / old accounts and use them for buying spree.  Also, from time to time there are legitimate cases where spouses or kids use their spouses' / parents' eBay accounts to buy expensive toys.

How do the hackers actually benefit though, they'll still need to provide a shipping address, which would lead to an easy arrest if police ever look?

26 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I've heard of people sending counter-offers for $.01 less so they still have to pay immediately.

I do this and the buyer pays as soon as they accept it. Now I can't prove that it's because of the counteroffer of $0.01 lower. Some members here have debunked this but I don't know how it can be proved unless we set up a test auction.

6 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

I do this and the buyer pays as soon as they accept it. Now I can't prove that it's because of the counteroffer of $0.01 lower. Some members here have debunked this but I don't know how it can be proved unless we set up a test auction.

I guess you're right.  The question is, does it actually force them to pay as soon as they accept.  I thought that was how it worked when I accepted counter-offers.  But maybe that is a setting within ebay?  idk now. It's been quite a while since I haggled over an ebay sale.

12 minutes ago, locidm said:

How do the hackers actually benefit though, they'll still need to provide a shipping address, which would lead to an easy arrest if police ever look?

Drop-shipping.  The thief will use a hacked account as the middle-man between income and fulfillment.  Buyer buys from Hacker.  Hacker drop-ships from a Brickpicker using hacked account, who ships to Buyer.  Buyer gets product. Hacker keeps Buyer's $$$.

If the hack isn't noticed, the hacked account loses.  If the Hacked account notices the fraud and files a charge back, the Brickpicker loses.  Depending on the nature of the hack, sometimes the platform will cover the fraud.

To the Brickpicker, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between gift orders, normal drop-shippers, and drop-ship fraud.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SpaceFan9 said:

Drop-shipping.  The thief will use a hacked account as the middle-man between income and fulfillment.  Buyer buys from Hacker.  Hacker drop-ships from a Brickpicker using hacked account, who ships to Buyer.  Buyer gets product. Hacker keeps Buyer's $$$.

If the hack isn't noticed, the hacked account loses.  If the Hacked account notices the fraud and files a charge back, the Brickpicker loses.  Depending on the nature of the hack, sometimes the platform will cover the fraud.

To the Brickpicker, it's almost impossible to tell the difference between gift orders, normal drop-shippers, and drop-ship fraud.

Thanks for the insight. I am slowly learning the risk of being a seller. This sucks especially for low volume sellers like me. It'd be hard to overcome loosing both the funds and the item for a >$500 item if it ever happens. Thankfully I haven't lost anything yet other than some minor paypal fees.

So since fraudulent rate for high priced purchases are so  high, I am contemplating to hold off shipping a high priced item for at least a day in case that "unauthorized purchase" notice gets sent few hours after purchase. Do any of you have such practice as well? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, locidm said:

So since fraudulent rate for high priced purchases are so  high, I am contemplating to hold off shipping a high priced item for at least a day in case that "unauthorized purchase" notice gets sent few hours after purchase. Do any of you have such practice as well? 

Not officially, but that's a great idea. 9 times out of 10 I've experienced this I've been able to save my hide by the sheer fact that it was a late night purchase I couldn't get around to until the morning. These people often buy a ton of things at once... So if eBay is going to catch it they'll do it soon. I've even had a couple of close calls where I was able to actually go to the post office or UPS and grab my package.

I like your idea, I think I'm going to do something like that for anything over $300. I also make a point to look very closely at profiles who purchase these things... If they've been consistently buying things and have great feedback I usually don't worry about it. It's the ones who make a large purchase after months or years, despite a good profile, that you can usually be suspicious of. And of course the new accounts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scurt1s said:

I've had 2 and maybe now 3 non paying bidders (on BIN) this month. Never had this much before. I hate that sinking feeling when a BIN is bought and they dont pay right after. 

You most definitely would benefit from setting up your BIN auctions with Immediate Payment Required. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

You most definitely would benefit from setting up your BIN auctions with Immediate Payment Required. 

Yep, I've had the same problem on a few BIN sales of late. There's a small empty  box under payment options that says "Require immediate payment with BIN". Not sure if there's a way to check this off in bulk listings, but you'd think it would be the default option...I mean, why would any seller want to give people the option to not pay right away? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lego Lass said:

Yep, I've had the same problem on a few BIN sales of late. There's a small empty  box under payment options that says "Require immediate payment with BIN". Not sure if there's a way to check this off in bulk listings, but you'd think it would be the default option...I mean, why would any seller want to give people the option to not pay right away? 

while we're at it: also never forget to put in a minimum when you check offers considered...otherwise you most definitely WILL get insulted

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, locidm said:

i do this on amazon now mostly due to buyers remorse.. and my hesitation to shipping outside the US right now. 

4 hours ago, locidm said:

Yes.....Ebay tends to catch the unauthorized purchases and un-registered buyers within a few hours after auction end.  I wait at least 6 hrs.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, zaphoid said:

just use GSP for international, you're completely covered once it reaches the warehouse.

i think you mean Ebay global shipping program? Sales are on amazon. My comment was more of similar strategy being used on ebay and amazon. Options for me are either DHL international or USPS Priority Express. Had issues with both.

Edited by joch29

1 hour ago, joch29 said:

i think you mean Ebay global shipping program? Sales are on amazon. My comment was more of similar strategy being used on ebay and amazon. Options for me are either DHL international or USPS Priority Express. Had issues with both.

missed that, sorry.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

as a seller can we refuse to sell to a buyer who has suspect purchase history?

obviously offers can be refused, but what if BIN or winning auction?

asking for myself

Yes, you have to set them in your options, but they are most likely not going to happen.  Negative feedback is one and I think multiple non-paying cases is the other.

• Like 1