Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

Your listing stated “Has been opened and been put together but very carefully by an adult so I garentee 100% absolutely no missing pieces. Cost $90.00 at the store so your saving alot of money doing this way. “ waiting until payment clears to send missing items is not okay with me. Sorry, but I will be asking for a refund/ return through OfferUp.

11 hours ago
Ok then go right ahead and ask for a refund for a couple guys that I just made a mistake by putting in the mail for you so if you haven't already got the Legos today then they will forsure be to you by tomorrow and if they ain't returned to me with not a piece missing then I garentee you will regret it so you do what you got to do dude your loss not mine.

I just got "bought wrong set" and I canceled, but as usual have to pay the paypal fee.  Last time I tried to refund minus the paypal fee which the buyer nicely agreed to, it was a pain to then get in touch to ebay to have them manually set up the FVF refund.....

Not sure it's worth it to keep the paypal fee... 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thelovemachine said:

I just got "bought wrong set" and I canceled, but as usual have to pay the paypal fee.  Last time I tried to refund minus the paypal fee which the buyer nicely agreed to, it was a pain to then get in touch to ebay to have them manually set up the FVF refund.....

Not sure it's worth it to keep the paypal fee... 

I just got a "I can't pay for it sorry" after a day of non-payment...

16 hours ago, baublitz said:

I just got a "I can't pay for it sorry" after a day of non-payment...

I got one of those messages a few weeks ago.  The guy (around 148 feedback) had sniped the auction in the closing seconds.  Four days and multiple emails later I receive, "circumstances changed and I can no longer afford to pay for this..."  Seeing that he sniped the bid it caught me completely off-guard.  I let ebay ding him for being a non-paying bidder.  Of course, by the time I reached out to bidder #2, he had already bought another one.  *sigh*

Here is my sob story. Was never able to get any kind of info from Ebay as to what happened, or why. 

Disney Train I got on black Friday. Selling for 315.00

Gets purchased and paid for. I pack it up, ready to ship next day. Print Label that night. Late the next day, one hour before postal run, I get a message from buyer saying their account has been hacked and want me to cancel. No biggie, I do just that. Had not shipped item so all good, right? So, I immediately relist the item. Sells again a couple days later to new buyer. This time I send it off. A day later I get a message from the new buyer that their account has been hacked and they want me to cancel. Of course after the 300$ set is in the mail. Luckily I was able to stop the shipment mid transit, for a cost of course, and have it sent back. 

Both buyers were in different states and had decent(100+) feedback. Both bought the same item, both said account was hacked. eBay gave me no information and I refunded both buyers after eBay gave me the green light. Got my Train back, with a headache in return. The train has now been banished from eBay. 

Edited by dennugsmello
typo
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Here is my sob story. Was never able to get any kind of info from Ebay as to what happened, or why. 

Disney Train I got on black Friday. Selling for 315.00

Gets purchased and paid for. I pack it up, ready to ship next day. Print Label that night. Late the next day, one hour before postal run, I get a message from buyer saying their account has been hacked and want me to cancel. No biggie, I do just that. Had not shipped item so all good, right? So, I immediately relist the item. Sells again a couple days later to new buyer. This time I send it off. A day later I get a message from the new buyer that their account has been hacked and they want me to cancel. Of course after the 300$ set is in the mail. Luckily I was able to stop the shipment mid transit, for a cost of course, and have it sent back. 

Both buyers were in different states and had decent(100+) feedback. Both bought the same item, both said account was hacked. eBay gave me no information and I refunded both buyers after eBay gave me the green light. Got my Train back, with a headache in return. The train has now been banished from eBay. 

Once the item is shipped out, and gets safely delivered to the authorized address - you have done your job.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I got one of those messages a few weeks ago.  The guy (around 148 feedback) had sniped the auction in the closing seconds.  Four days and multiple emails later I receive, "circumstances changed and I can no longer afford to pay for this..."  Seeing that he sniped the bid it caught me completely off-guard.  I let ebay ding him for being a non-paying bidder.  Of course, by the time I reached out to bidder #2, he had already bought another one.  *sigh*

I'm not a big fan of auctions.  I bet if you relist the item as buy it now, you could sell it for more than what the highest bidder offered.  Plus, you can set it where they have to pay immediately.

33 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

I've tried buy-it now and they usually just sit and I'm usually close to the lower end of prices too.   

On the other hand, my used AT-OT + dropship I never would have priced at $750, but that is what I got out of it.

It's weird I have the same experience too. It's almost like the best match or whatever algorithm ebay uses, pushes down BIN listings. I've seen many auctions blow past my lower BIN price

• Like 1

Got another "item not delivered" from a buyer.  Not only does tracking info state it was delivered but it says it was delivered 13 days ago.  How do you not realize for almost two weeks something "didn't deliver"?  At least I'm now experienced in how to handle these situations, I'm in the clear.

5 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

how do you handle the situation?

I send them a message to call their local PO and see if they can assist in locating it.  Then put the tracking # in the case and call/chat with eBay and tell them the package shows delivered please close the case. 

• Like 2

I remember when I used to say things like this.... Then I realized I can make good money on it just by paying attention to the market. Funny thing is, my price is average. I probably won't even reply... Not worth the time right?

Screenshot_20200603-183056.png

Edited by baublitz

37 minutes ago, baublitz said:

I remember when I used to say things like this.... Then I realized I can make good money on it just by paying attention to the market. Funny thing is, my price is average. I probably won't even reply... Not worth the time right?

Screenshot_20200603-183056.png

Of course you should reply. And then post the entire conversation here so we can be entertained. Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

But I'm too ashamed to do anything! 

Just replied with an enlarged picture showing the 18+ designation and add a Trump “No” meme and you’re good to go...
But I'm too ashamed to do anything! 

Just replied with an enlarged picture showing the 18+ designation and add a Trump “No” meme and you’re good to go...
  • Haha 2

At least once a year, I realize that I am the fruitcake, although usually it doesn't involve me being a scammer or a complaining buyer. Here are my realizations so far this year. I'm sure many people knew about the things I am going to mention, but maybe someone will be helped by this. 

1) I gained "Top Seller" status in January, so I have been selling with the requirements for that attached to my listings to save me 1% (woo-hoo!) on fees. In April, I realized that this is only applied to the price of the item and not the shipping that is paid for by the buyer as I went through my spreadsheet of sales and noticed my fees weren't matching with what Ebay was charging me on my invoice. I'm charged 9% on the sale price but 10% separately on the price the buyer paid for shipping. I guess this would promote sellers providing free shipping. 

2) Because of the way the purchase price and the shipping are split, each is rounded individually when fees are applied, so if something cost $88.45 with $11.55 shipping, one would think the total fees would be 10% (for regular sellers) from $100. Instead, it's $8.85 and $1.16, or $10.01. Not a big deal, but throws off how I had been calculating fees. With the first part and this one, I think I have to change the way my spreadsheet is calculating sales, although even with this new information, I still can't get my numbers to match what Ebay is charging me for the month. Any record-keeping suggestions for how others gather this data? 

3) All of my sets that were sold through GSP did not have the "Top Seller" asterisk next to them on my invoice, which would suggest that they are all being charged at the 10% rate. 

4) I have generally never been close to the free 50 listings in a month, but I pushed myself in May and used up all of my free slots. On my invoice, I saw a set named that didn't sell and realized it was charged an insertion fee. This must have been because the listing renewed right at the end of the month and that counts as a new listing. I guess I have to be careful with lingering sets hanging around and counting as new listings each month when they renew. 

1 hour ago, BillyBricks said:

At least once a year, I realize that I am the fruitcake, although usually it doesn't involve me being a scammer or a complaining buyer. Here are my realizations so far this year. I'm sure many people knew about the things I am going to mention, but maybe someone will be helped by this. 

1) I gained "Top Seller" status in January, so I have been selling with the requirements for that attached to my listings to save me 1% (woo-hoo!) on fees. In April, I realized that this is only applied to the price of the item and not the shipping that is paid for by the buyer as I went through my spreadsheet of sales and noticed my fees weren't matching with what Ebay was charging me on my invoice. I'm charged 9% on the sale price but 10% separately on the price the buyer paid for shipping. I guess this would promote sellers providing free shipping. 

2) Because of the way the purchase price and the shipping are split, each is rounded individually when fees are applied, so if something cost $88.45 with $11.55 shipping, one would think the total fees would be 10% (for regular sellers) from $100. Instead, it's $8.85 and $1.16, or $10.01. Not a big deal, but throws off how I had been calculating fees. With the first part and this one, I think I have to change the way my spreadsheet is calculating sales, although even with this new information, I still can't get my numbers to match what Ebay is charging me for the month. Any record-keeping suggestions for how others gather this data? 

3) All of my sets that were sold through GSP did not have the "Top Seller" asterisk next to them on my invoice, which would suggest that they are all being charged at the 10% rate. 

4) I have generally never been close to the free 50 listings in a month, but I pushed myself in May and used up all of my free slots. On my invoice, I saw a set named that didn't sell and realized it was charged an insertion fee. This must have been because the listing renewed right at the end of the month and that counts as a new listing. I guess I have to be careful with lingering sets hanging around and counting as new listings each month when they renew. 

I also received top seller, but according to my notes, I have never received the 1% bonus.  It took me a while to realize the only sales which get the 1% bonus are the ones which match the requirements, including free shipping.  Perhaps I misread it, but that was my conclusion.  Unless our sale matches their requirements, we don't receive the 1% bonus.  *sigh*

In my spreadsheet, I track : my cost, sale price paid by the buyer, the shipping I charged, shipping actually paid by the buyer (ebay provides a discount for sellers,) (my shipping supply cost), and then calculate the ebay fee on the sale price and shipping paid separately.  I also calculate the paypal fee on the sale price, shipping paid, AND the taxes paid by the buyer each separately.  Yes, that is right, we are charged a paypal fee for the taxes paid by the buyer.  I discovered that one about three weeks ago.  It is not very clearly stated by paypal but it was added as soon as taxes bean to be taken out of online ebay sales.

6 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I also received top seller, but according to my notes, I have never received the 1% bonus.  It took me a while to realize the only sales which get the 1% bonus are the ones which match the requirements, including free shipping.  Perhaps I misread it, but that was my conclusion.  Unless our sale matches their requirements, we don't receive the 1% bonus.  *sigh*

In my spreadsheet, I track : my cost, sale price paid by the buyer, the shipping I charged, shipping actually paid by the buyer (ebay provides a discount for sellers,) (my shipping supply cost), and then calculate the ebay fee on the sale price and shipping paid separately.  I also calculate the paypal fee on the sale price, shipping paid, AND the taxes paid by the buyer each separately.  Yes, that is right, we are charged a paypal fee for the taxes paid by the buyer.  I discovered that one about three weeks ago.  It is not very clearly stated by paypal but it was added as soon as taxes bean to be taken out of online ebay sales.

I am pretty sure we have to offer free returns, not free shipping, which of course means one idiot wants to return something and any profits I've saved from being a Top Rated Seller are out the window. Also, I just grab Paypal fees straight from Paypal since it's listed with each sale. I figured it's less of a headache than trying to calculate it myself with everything that gets lumped in with the fee. I'm not sure why Ebay's invoice can't just list net totals for each item rather than the way it's done now. Or maybe I am missing the place where this already exists.  

• Like 1