Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

6 minutes ago, Brystheguy said:

Was this shipping included? If so, why would she get any insurance payout? The insurance is to protect you, not the buyer, right? 

I don't know, maybe you're right.  Maybe she's out $225.  Was just the included insurance as part of USPS Priority mail.

9 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

I don't know, maybe you're right.  Maybe she's out $225.  Was just the included insurance as part of USPS Priority mail.

I agree, as far as the USPS is concerned the package was delivered; they're done with it.  Her only other option is going to the police and open a theft case.

Have you contacted the seller yet? That's the first step I would take and one I would expect out of a buyer if I had sold it. (Never would have shipped like that, lol)

It also depends on what you want to do with the set.

A reasonable seller would think the set is going to be built and not purchased as a collectible or investment. Maybe they just don't know. Maybe they are stupid. It's tough to differentiate these days.

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Should any NISB set delivered wrapped only in paper be an automatic negative feedback?

I have never given negative feedback but this one really irks me (goes without saying it's a big box set and basically all edges and corners crinkled)

If it were me I would contact them as iahawks said. If it's for your consumption and you don't really care about boxes, you could just build it but throw the ball completely in their court and let them determine what is fair. You might be surprised how kindly people reply if you give them the chance to make it right vs demanding or accusing (I'm not saying you've done either!), it makes them aware of the mistake and puts themselves in your shoes.

I've had a few similar situations and most people are really cool about it; offering a free return or a small refund for the trouble. You would do something similar, right? Others simply profusely apologized and promised to make it better for their future sales, which I'm equally as satisfied with if it means helping out future buyers. Only one time did a seller completely blow me off and said "cool story bro." 

1 hour ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Should any NISB set delivered wrapped only in paper be an automatic negative feedback?

I have never given negative feedback but this one really irks me (goes without saying it's a big box set and basically all edges and corners crinkled)

Sorry to hear this.

I once bought a used set with the box in excellent condition.  When it arrived, the box had a shipping label on the outside and lots of tape.  The box was completely ruined, not just crinkled corners.  I was dumbfounded and ticked. 

I wrote the seller and they apologized, they didn't think anything about the box being important.  Of course, I challenged their thinking with, "Then why were you selling the set with the box?"  They gave me a refund and I kept the set. The box was toast though.

Since that experience, if their sale does not mention how the set will be shipped I now ask. 

Edited by exracer327

19 hours ago, MusiKyle said:

As a follow up, eBay did finally close the case in my favor.  I'm glad I didn't get the short end of the stick but the best this lady is going to get is $50 insurance from USPS.  She's basically out $175 net.

I know it's not my problem but I feel really bad and helpless toward the issur.  Wish there was more I could do for her.  I don't actually lose sleep over it but it's a somewhat similar feeling.  Like a vet that tries their best but the cat or dog still dies.  It's sometimes part of the gig but sucks.

That is really good news but next time, please don’t post the buyer's personal info (phone #, address, name),  thanks,

• Thanks 2

Yep......I got a Monster Fighters Ghost Train once wrapped in brown paper and taped.  They figured I was going to open it and build it, and throw the box away.    But not an automatic negative though....because it might be a totally honest mistake.

Edited by enotoga

1 hour ago, firstofminifigs said:

This is a scam right? When I login to PayPal app there are no messages or notifications of any kind reflecting this. TIA. b8607bef7f404290e43832ea685c329d.jpg

Yep, I got one of these as well...you were absolutely right to log in directly through PayPal. If all is well on your account home page, you're good to go.  Never, never, never click on these links!

On 5/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, KShine said:

When you review the offer, it shows you where it will be shipped to.

just got an offer and for the life of me there was no indication of buyer's location...I looked, clicked, looked, clicked back, etc...nothing and it's a big set w/ free shipping so the location will be about a $15-$20 swing in my costs.

Has ebay changed something?

6 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

just got an offer and for the life of me there was no indication of buyer's location...I looked, clicked, looked, clicked back, etc...nothing and it's a big set w/ free shipping so the location will be about a $15-$20 swing in my costs.

Seeing the same thing. At first I thought it was just the app but tried desktop and same thing no location. If I search by the member ID it just says United States  I have had to message the potential buyer and ask where is shipping to. 

7 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

On occasion I have also seen this happen, but it isn't very often (I have never tried to find a pattern) - I would guess that it was based on the platform being used by the buyer, although I have been seeing it happen more often recently (so whether there could be a corona related impact, I don't know).

On 5/21/2020 at 8:19 PM, Lego Lass said:

Yep, I got one of these as well...you were absolutely right to log in directly through PayPal. If all is well on your account home page, you're good to go.  Never, never, never click on these links!

Yep, got one as well.  Never ever use the link in a phishing email.  Always go directly through the website.

• Like 1

So, I was reading through Ebay's new Managed Payments fees again trying to make sure that I had everything figured out when the international fees section caught my eye...

"International fee

If your registered address is in the US, we charge an International fee if either the buyer's registered address or the delivery address for the item is located outside of the US. This fee is calculated as 1.65% of the total amount of the sale and is automatically deducted from your sales.
If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your International fee information.

Seller currency conversion charge

If your registered address is in the US, when a buyer purchases your item in a currency other than your payout currency, eBay will convert the funds to your payout currency using a "transaction exchange rate" we set for the currency exchange. The transaction exchange rate is adjusted regularly and includes a currency conversion charge of 3% applied on a base exchange rate. The base exchange rate is based on rates within the wholesale currency markets on the conversion day or the prior business day; or, if required by law or regulation, set at the relevant government reference rate(s). The currency conversion charge will be automatically deducted from your sales. 
If your registered address is not in the US, please refer to the fee page for your country of residence for your Seller currency conversion charge information."

So, if I am reading this correctly, if you sell to someone who lives outside of the US and purchases with a foreign currency, you will be charged the 12.35% normal FVF, 1.65% international fee and a 3% currency conversion fee. For a total of 17%... 3% higher than what it currently is through PayPal.

Am I right? Does someone else read this differently?

If I am right then my days of using GSP may be numbered.

I got a message from a potential buyer on my used DISNEY Castle she wants it for her doctors office and wanted to know if it could be shipped to Tennessee intact as she has never built lego. 
I was in the process of messaging her back that I can break it down to the three sections it is built in and she bought it for full price before I could reply. 

On 5/22/2020 at 2:19 AM, Lego Lass said:

that happens when people move from SOLID desktops / laptops to mobile devices with all that "halo" how smart they are - on the contrary the same mobile app usually lacks most of the extended features of a "classic" desktop app.. but what the hell. ppl are getting lazy all the time and this shows it.. - if you were to open it on a standard desktop computer in some Microsoft Outlook, you would immediately see in the message options that the sender address is something like "[email protected]" .. 

Edited by crayxlp

This guy thinks it'll only cost $5 to ship a 10937 Arkham Asylum. 

" dosent need to be priority shipping. What is the cost for standard shipping from minnesota to iowa, it shouldn't cost more than $5"

given the price of gas, he might be able to drive up here and get it for cheaper though.....

Edited by rpaulson7

26 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

This guy thinks it'll only cost $5 to ship a 10937 Arkham Asylum. 

" dosent need to be priority shipping. What is the cost for standard shipping from minnesota to iowa, it shouldn't cost more than $5"

given the price of gas, he might be able to drive up here and get it for cheaper though.....

even ship an empty AA box costs more than $5 ...

5 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

Am I right? Does someone else read this differently?

If I am right then my days of using GSP may be numbered.

I wonder if this is only for international shipments that are done through methods other than GSP. With GSP, Ebay is already getting an extra cut thanks to additional charges for the buyer. Of course, if you're right, then I will be turning that off, too. 

• Like 2

On 5/21/2020 at 3:16 AM, iahawks550 said:

Have you contacted the seller yet? That's the first step I would take and one I would expect out of a buyer if I had sold it. (Never would have shipped like that, lol)

It also depends on what you want to do with the set.

A reasonable seller would think the set is going to be built and not purchased as a collectible or investment. Maybe they just don't know. Maybe they are stupid. It's tough to differentiate these days.

On 5/21/2020 at 4:44 AM, baublitz said:

If it were me I would contact them as iahawks said. If it's for your consumption and you don't really care about boxes, you could just build it but throw the ball completely in their court and let them determine what is fair. You might be surprised how kindly people reply if you give them the chance to make it right vs demanding or accusing (I'm not saying you've done either!), it makes them aware of the mistake and puts themselves in your shoes.

I've had a few similar situations and most people are really cool about it; offering a free return or a small refund for the trouble. You would do something similar, right? Others simply profusely apologized and promised to make it better for their future sales, which I'm equally as satisfied with if it means helping out future buyers. Only one time did a seller completely blow me off and said "cool story bro." 

On 5/21/2020 at 5:08 AM, exracer327 said:

Sorry to hear this.

I once bought a used set with the box in excellent condition.  When it arrived, the box had a shipping label on the outside and lots of tape.  The box was completely ruined, not just crinkled corners.  I was dumbfounded and ticked. 

I wrote the seller and they apologized, they didn't think anything about the box being important.  Of course, I challenged their thinking with, "Then why were you selling the set with the box?"  They gave me a refund and I kept the set. The box was toast though.

Since that experience, if their sale does not mention how the set will be shipped I now ask. 

closing the loop on this:

Basically i contacted seller; they said they thought paper wrapping was OK since same state 🙄, anyway I sent them pics of heavily creased and crushed box and requested a 20% refund which they gave me.  This one is slated for my kid's birthday/Christmas so I'm not too concerned...tho no kid likes getting a beat up box after unwrapping.  The seller seems to be a huge operation so I doubt they care that much either way.

side note...I know from recent experience FedEx actually refuses packages wrapped in parcel paper only (I was sending a pair of kids shoes (<$15) in original box wrapped in parcel paper).  So an outer box is The Standard IMO and should be expected.

25 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

closing the loop on this:

Basically i contacted seller; they said they thought paper wrapping was OK since same state 🙄, anyway I sent them pics of heavily creased and crushed box and requested a 20% refund which they gave me.  This one is slated for my kid's birthday/Christmas so I'm not too concerned...tho no kid likes getting a beat up box after unwrapping.  The seller seems to be a huge operation so I doubt they care that much either way.

side note...I know from recent experience FedEx actually refuses packages wrapped in parcel paper only (I was sending a pair of kids shoes (<$15) in original box wrapped in parcel paper).  So an outer box is The Standard IMO and should be expected.

it's not recently, being there long time ago.

I think the only carrier which still accepts the paper wrap packaging is usps